PDA

View Full Version : Bad tummy ache?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Ayaju
Wed, May-22-02, 09:48
The past two nights I wake up with a horrible tummy ache that won't go away. It only happens in the night when I am asleep. It seems to be intestinal. Then I remembered this happening before. The truth is, I Schwarzbeined last year for a few months. The same thing happened, and I could not figure it out or pinpoint it to any foods. When I stopped Schwarzbeining, it went away. I've been TSPing since this past Easter and the tummy aches are back. I do not understand it, but I am feeling fearful that this "perfect" diet is wrong for me. I don't know what else to think. I also feel like I have no other options! I wish Diana's website was open for questions! I know they plan to be one day. Can anyone help me out with information and possible solutions?
Thanks ever so much,
Judy :(

TheBetty
Wed, May-22-02, 16:26
In order to try to help you, please post an accurate list of the foods (yes, all of them) that you have eaten 24 hours prior to the cramps you have gotten.

I have found for me that eating carbs gives me cramps, or wheat products sometimes can. I have heard that some people tend to bind up with foods that contain amylose, like potatoes, carrots and certain types of rice (long grain and processed).

Please post your food lists and we will all try to help you.
--TheBetty

Ayaju
Wed, May-22-02, 16:49
Or maybe I am sensitive to fat? Maybe eating limited carbs... do carbs absorb the fat? Eating far less carbs now, yet more protein and veggies. Probably the same amount of fat, but I suppose it could be more.

Yesterday for dinner I had a lot of bacon. Hm. I was hungry, so I ate about 8 pieces of non-nitrate bacon, plus 1 scrambled egg made with heavy whipping cream, and I had broccoli with butter, and some fresh oven-fried potatoes baked in a little olive oil, and topped with sour cream. I definitely felt bloated about a half hour later.

I felt the need for some dessert though. I had SomerSweet chocoate ice cream with some Macadamia nuts crushed in it. That was less than 15 grams of carbs. I exercise daily and have up to 15 carbs in my two snacks.

Lunch was salad with dressing, tabouli for my carbs, and thin slices of turkey wrapped up with cream cheese and pepperincini's.

Breakfast was the usual: two eggs, scrambled with heavy whipping cream and veggies, and some muenster cheese, 15 carbos of ww toast with butter. My "vice" decaf mocha before that.

What do you think?

The night before I had a Burger King double cheese burger for dinner. That was the first night these night-long tummy aches started. I am fine all day long.

But last year I had these tummy troubles all the time, and I was eating a variety of stuff. I also usually had mock rice pudding every night with fruit. For dessert. It is a high protein/higher fat/low carb and sugar sweetener. Made with cheese and cream and eggs.

Judy

TheBetty
Thu, May-23-02, 09:56
Hi Judy,

The first thing that jumped out at me, personally, was the broccoli! I'm totally UNABLE to eat that stuff, it gives THE WORST tummy cramps! Here's what gives me cramps, which I have been told is common with these foods in many people:

Broccoli
Brussell Sprouts
Avacado
Chinese Snow Peas
Snap Peas

There may be more, but do you see a trend here? They are all green for one thing. I don't know the other connection, but I am definately allergic to these foods and the cramps begin within hours of ingestion. I avoid them like the plague!

The other thing that stood out in your diet to me was the artificial sweeteners, perhaps in the desserts you mention? And the chocolate, where some people have ccramping from caffeine and chocolate has made many a person crampy.

Then the Burger King. I don't know what it is about BK, but it has ALWAYS given me and my hubby the cramps and the runs! No matter what we would eat there, you could set your clock to the cramps and runs that would come on within 12 hours. Taco Bell, nearly the same thing.

Remember, these places LOAD their food with MSG, which also gives me cramps, not to mention dizziness and bloating.

The salt in the bacon may have had something to contribute to your cramping.

It sounds like you've got a lot of cpossible ulprits. You're gonna eat whatever you choose, of course, but my advice to you would be to try and stick to the SP strictly for a couple of weeks. Stay away from bacon, eating out and artificial sweeteners. No decaf anything and no chocolate. Try to avoid any commercially prepared products. Avoid the foods I listed above that are common allergens to many. See how it goes for a couple of weeks, then begin adding in one food at a time to see how it affects your body.

It's hard for some to let go of the sweet stuff. I recommend trying to fill your sweets needs with fresh berries, they are very good for you in moderation. It's not the fat that is giving you the cramps, unless you are eating buckets of it. It's the junk still in your diet.

While one step at a time is a good appraoch for some, it's way too much leeway for others. Try the cold turkey method for 2 weeks, it is the only way figure out what your problem is.

Hope this helps. --TheBetty

tired_mum
Fri, May-24-02, 08:05
I am by no means an expert on SP since I just started, but I am finding I don't handle all the dairy too well.

I think I am lactose intolerant, which is a fairly common food allergy these days. You might also be allergic as well. I seem to do fine on the cultered whole dairy and perhaps I'll just stick with that. I know it is not horribly difficult to follow SP with out the dairy, but the cookbook is full of dairy products.....oh well. I purchased a book called "Nurishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon and it is great information about fermenting dairy, grains, vegtables, nuts, you name it, for better absorption.

One thing I do not do anymore is eat out at fast foods especially after reading "Fast Food Nation" by Eric something or other :D . Many fast food companies are mixing soy into their meats and other dishes as well as frying in the oil to save money. Have you noticed most fast food places do not advertise or brag that their beef patties are 100% beef anymore. I have a rather severe low thyroid disease and soy is the worst thing. If I want a burger I will go to IN & Out (a popular hamburger joint in California) because I know they use only whole beef patties.

Broccoli and other cruciferous vegtables are best eaten steamed and not raw since they contain goitrogens (thyroid inhibitors) that are deactivated during the heating process.

Please take everything I've said with a grain of salt ;) . I am no medical expert that is for sure, I'm just relating my own experiences.

Best of luck to you,
Steph :cheer:

kd lite
Wed, May-14-03, 16:27
Out of all the foods that you ate are any of them new ones that you did not eat before low-carbing??

How long have you been using somersweet? I started low-carbing with Somersizing and read several posts about somersweet causing terrible cramps and gas. I think it was attributed to the Mung Bean in the ingredients.

Maybe try to simplify your meals for a bit and introduce new things gradually you might find the food that is causing you problems that way.

DramaDame
Wed, May-14-03, 17:38
Good Day...sounds like you are not feeling well at all. I found a website for Dr. S and under the questions section she has a list of FAQ. You might check it out..otherwise I had a question that I was concerned about and I sent it to her by email. I had a response in the less than 24 hours. I would give complete detail about your foods and exercise plus other life style issues. See if they respond...I can't remember the website but found it by searching on aol under Schwarzbein. ( I think)

Also, are you getting your water in?

Good Luck!

Rosemerry
Thu, May-15-03, 10:20
Well, just my opinion, but eating 8 slices of bacon would make me sick, LOL! I don't eat more than 2 at a time. It seems like your diet is a little heavy, at least it would be for me. I never eat fast food burgers; even when I could I thought they were too greasy.

Have you read TSP lately? Maybe read it to refresh your memory about foods; she says in TSPII that you also have to watch the quantity of foods and not overeat.

Sometimes veggies bother me too but I eat them anyway! After awhile, my tummy seems to get used to it and they're just so good for you and worth it.

Rose

Ayaju
Thu, May-15-03, 12:15
Rose ~ How did you even find this post - it is a year old!

All is well now, thanks!

I definitely have learned to modify my diet.

Judy

Rosemerry
Thu, May-15-03, 12:41
Judy, that is hilarious! Someone must have revived your year old post because I was responding to people who recently responded to you !?!

I am so glad you are doing so well; you are an old hat at this by now! You could probably teach me a few things! I definitely have my tummy aches, but they're usually from too much chocolate when I splurge occasionally on the weekends!

Or actually, sometimes when I make the anytime soup I get a little sick. But I still eat it because I love it.

ANYWAY!! Thanks for letting me know; I'll have to make sure I look at the dates from now on! Have a great day, Rose

Ayaju
Thu, May-15-03, 12:52
Wow, you are right, there are other recent replies to my year old post! I wasn't notified about them, only yours, Rose!

Thanks everyone!

I eat lower sat. fat now, and I gave up Somersweet a few months ago.

I can't believe how long it has been since I have been to this board.

I saw Dr. S in January as a patient, but don't feel that she helped me anymore than her books. Big waste of $$.

Judy

Rosemerry
Thu, May-15-03, 13:11
Come back to the board Judy!!

If you have time, that is! We all (well, me for sure) could use your expertise!

I can't believe you met Dr. S! What was she like?? Was it big bucks? Was it a total waste of time? Was she a nice person? I'm just curious!

Okay, I'll leave you alone now. Rose