PDA

View Full Version : Hi - I'm new and Need Lots of Help

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Sandra7777
Thu, Jun-06-13, 07:45
Hi All
I'm new, Live in Cape Town, South Africa and I will need lots of help :lol: I'm starting the LC way of eating today!

I read about a Low Carb Bread mix available in Australia and its the latest talked about issue. Do we have Low Carb Food Stores in SA? It's frustrated that some
sites advertise goods, but then it's just not available anywhere.

Please help any one!
Thanks a mil

Sandra

becky7474
Fri, Jun-07-13, 06:27
Welcome! :wave:

Low carb bread usually impacts your blood sugars, so best to stay away.

Lulumae
Fri, Jun-07-13, 07:35
Is Diet in a Box really low carb? I just did a quick search but didn't really look that far into it. Is it a diet where you receive all your meals pre-prepared? I guess not or you wouldn't be looking for food stores. But it sounds as though it contains some "special" foods.

My experience with low carb is a personalised version of Atkins which works really well for me, or at least has so far. I eat "normal" food - meat, fish, cream, cheese, bacon, veggies - and just avoid carbs, especially grain carbs and anything with sugar, including most fruit. I eat some dark chocolate and nuts and make sauces using cream to thicken. I mostly do my own cooking and take leftovers to work for lunch.

I would suggest you read some books about low carb if you haven't already - starting with Atkins or Protein Power and maybe taking in Wheat Belly by Dr William Davis and Why we get Fat by Gary Taubes.
Good luck with your weightloss journey.

Sandra7777
Sun, Jun-09-13, 23:50
Hi Guys

I'm following Atkins (or a version there of) I did read some books and most are protein based.
Yes the boxes (in the My Secret, Diet in a box) contains some foods, really don't know if the breads and pita breads in it is so low carb after all. Sometimes I have to trust some advertising. The reasoning behind this diet is to not exceed 15g of carbs a day. I managed that. Something frustrates me though, after 3 days of sticking to my version of Atkins 100% I only lost 1 kg. Is that "normal"? I have so much to loose - its not just 5 or 6 kilo's.
I exclude Breads, Pasta's, Fruit and some veggies and all starchy veggies. I do however use some xylitol sweetener as I do not indulge in any other sweets at all for now.
Maybe some one have some tips I can use?
Thanks for all the replies - It's keeping me sane :)
Have a great day all!
Warm Regards
Sandra

Lulumae
Mon, Jun-10-13, 06:52
That sounds OK.
I'm no expert but protein is only part of Atkins. Fat is an important part - as you can't eat that much protein, your body can't handle it. Fat is what really replaces the carbs you stop eating.
Some people lose really fast but I have been losing nice and steady till recently, when my weight loss has really slowed, but I guess that's to be expected as I'm quite close to goal.
I'm sure you'll find some good info here and there are some great posters who know a lot about low carb from every angle.
Good luck!

Sandra7777
Tue, Jun-11-13, 09:36
Thanks Lulumae - It's nice knowing I have so much support here!
I know I will get there!
Today was a good day for me
Tomorrow is my 5th day and it get easier all the time!
Thanks a mil and good luck for you too!
Warm Regards
Sandra