PDA

View Full Version : This is like my last hope, tired of struggling.

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

LinWick
Tue, May-28-13, 17:40
Hi everyone, I've just started Atkins as sort of a last ditch effort to save my health. I had been struggling for years with a variety of symptoms and ailments that all compounded around the first of 2011. I doubled my weight in less than a year, and that took a tole on my body and mind as well. Seeing new doctors, they all sort of dismissed my problems and told me to stop eating so much and exercise more.

On my first and last visit to an endocrinologist, before I even finished explaining, he told me I wasn't aware of what I was eating and I needed to stop going to Starbucks. I was dumbfounded. Battling my weight and health issues, I am VERY aware of what I put in my mouth, and for the record I have never been to Starbucks, as I don't drink coffee.

I was finally diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and the good doc and I are convinced I have been struggling with it for years. It has affected every part of my health from my weight to my vision.

Well, good doc put me on a healthy food plan - lots of raw veg and fruit, very lean meat. It didn't help my worst symptoms of passing out after I ate even the smallest amount. Finally, only a week ago, we figured out I have an extremely high intolerance for carbs. If I eat a small salad, or even an apple, I'll be out for hours, and the struggle to wake back up and clear my mind to function again.

I started Atkins on the 23rd, and I haven't passed out since! I don't know what to do with myself now since I am awake all day lol...

So that's my story. I came here in need of support, because I don't have any support at home. I'm thrilled I am staying awake, but I sure hope this will help get my weight back to where it was.

I look forward to reading about all of you and learning all I can about this process :)

Nancy LC
Tue, May-28-13, 17:55
Wow... that's quite a story!

First off, I have a really good site for thyroid help: http://stopthethyroidmadness.com Thyroid is not treated sufficiently in medicine today. That might help you get what you need.

Secondly, I strongly recommend reading the book "Wheat Belly" and/or reading the Wheat Belly Blog: http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/
It could really help you like it has so many people.

Thirdly, welcome! I hope you find this as wonderful a home as I have.

mollygirl4
Tue, May-28-13, 18:30
Hi Linwick,
Have you read Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution? (There is a newer version out too). It is amazing to read the science behind how all of us have put on weight thinking we were eating "healthy". In any event, you have come to the right place for sage advice and friendly banter. I'm sorry you don't have support at home. Do you have to cook for everyone?

bkloots
Wed, May-29-13, 03:49
First of all, I apologize for responding to your post in another thread without reading this one. Your full story is important. I'm sorry that you've been treated so badly by medical "professionals" and I hope you'll find some helpful guidance from the experienced people on this forum.

One such person calls herself Rightnow. She has struggled for a long time with fluctuating energy issues, among other things. Her blog is here. (http://thedivinelowcarb.blogspot.com/)

Also check out the Thyroid thread on this forum.

You are not alone!

ktbrew
Wed, May-29-13, 14:50
Welcome LinWick!! I am happy that you found this forum :). It has been a life saver for me. Although my issues do not mirror yours, I can tell you that it's full of advice and inspiration for whatever it is you are dealing with. So happy that you are here now and that you're on the Atkins plan. Low Carbing is fun (most days) imho, and when its no longer fun for you and you find yourself struggling. Then come on in here and someone of us will be sure to help you along the way.

I look forward to hearing about your continued success as you continue along your low carb journey. :)

ojoj
Wed, May-29-13, 14:55
Glad you're here and glad that you're at last following a great way of eating. I started it 10 years ago and have never looked back - I just wish I'd done it sooner

Welcome and have a good read thru

Jo xxx

MizKitty
Wed, May-29-13, 16:08
Welcome!
Except for the passing out part, my story is similar.... coming to low carb as a last ditch effort to save my own health....years of worsening type II diabetes and undiagnosed thyroid issues that doctors were leading me down the wrong path in their treatment advice....

At one time, I was on 4 different diabetes meds including insulin and still had out-of-control blood sugars, high blood pressure meds, statins (before I knew better).... and was so sick and weak I really thought I didn't have long to live.

Now, through low carbing, I'm off all meds, and a new doctor would run labs on me and not even know I'm diabetic.

You're on the right path now, and you can do it too. Glad you found this forum, plan on participating daily, you will find the knowledge, support, and accountability you get from it priceless.

LinWick
Wed, May-29-13, 16:49
Thank you so much everyone for the encouragement and all of the useful links and tips! I have a lot of reading to do on here :) I haven't read any books about Atkins or low carbing because I can't see well enough to read and magnifying glasses are just annoying. I can enlarge text on my screen, so i will read up on things here.

I'm so happy to hear about all the positive results you all have been having!