PDA

View Full Version : thanks

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

pattpopple
Tue, May-21-02, 16:42
thanks TerriDoodle and Bloom for the support after my first post. I am having trouble maneuvering thru this technology. I keep having to change my password....
The suggestion to up the protein has helped. My initial feeling about all this being so hard was my cravings for sweets that were still in the house. Those are gone, the sweets and the intense cravings, after I ate more protein and took some deep breaths.
My new issue is appetite. I have almost none! I like to fuss with food, and I have been trying to include things I really like, but now I feel almost nauseous. I guess all the fat and protein isnow making me feel like I'd like something sort of refreshing. I'm still on induction. I have 2-3 organic eggs and 2 slices of bacon or Jimmy dean sausage for breakfast (6am). I still have one cup of coffee with cream with that. I tried cold turkey on the caffeine and the headache was debilitating. I'm used to 3 cups of strong coffee before 9am, and then no more. Lunch has been a salad with protein and blue cheese dressing or ranch. Supper is meat and cooked veggies. Snacks are string cheese or salami or ham.
I drink almost enough water. I am not up to snuff on the supplements yet, tho, and I know that may be a factor. What do you take, really, I find the book a little hard to sort out about that.
I am trying to exercise, but that is another obstacle, I am exhausted after work. I deal with teenagers all day, in a high school. I take Celexa and Previcid. Any thoughts on that?

Karen
Tue, May-21-02, 23:26
Nausea is common during the first stage of low-carbing - it's not from protein and fat directly - but from your body switching gears into fat burning. And, loss of appetite is from ketosis. The best cure is to keep on eating and up your fat intake. It's time to move out of induction and eat more vegetables and to drink more water!

For supplements, a good multi, potassium and calcium/magnesium. You can get a supplement that has all three minerals combined. Vitamin C and a Complex B work wonders too.

What do you mean by refreshing? How about a chilled cucumber soup with a dollop of sour cream? Gazpacho? A big salad with chicken avocado, tomato, onion, olive oil and lime juice? A Greek salad? Tuna with green beans and hardcooked eggs on a bed of crisp romaine lettuce...Try having your eggs and bacon on a salad! No one said that low-carb eating shouldn't be fun and satisfying.

One thing that will hold you back with this way-of-eating is being afraid to make changes. It's good to stick with a plan until you feel comfortable with the basics, but it's important to move beyond that and find out what really works for you. It's scary to change your whole way of eating at first, but part of the process is to eventually relax and learn to enjoy it.

Karen