PDA

View Full Version : Pork Rinds

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Joypod
Mon, May-20-02, 22:32
Does anyone know where I can find pork rinds in Melbourne?

There seem to be quite a few lc recipies that use them but I can't find them anywhere. I've looked in Coles, Safeway and also Leo's Fine Foods but they don't have them.

Any suggestions???

Thanks
JP :)

Rosebud
Mon, May-20-02, 22:50
Or Brisbane?
I've looked in several Coles and Woolies and have yet to find them.
Otherwise, does anyone have a recipe to make our own?

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

PS: I've just asked our resident chef Karen about making them. She says its not really possible.
But she suggested looking in Asian groceries. Might be worth a try.

Rosebud

Marion13
Mon, May-20-02, 22:57
The only ones I found were in Woolies in the potato chip aisle near where the soy chips etc are and they were called "pork rinds", but I have to say I thought they were gross...(but then I have never liked pork crackling) the ingredients were just pork rind & salt I think from memory.

Maz

Wendye
Tue, May-21-02, 18:18
OK you guys - I'm gonna say this once and once only -- I've said it before but I'll say it again - only 'cos it's you Roz. :)

I bought Pork Krackles made by Gold Medal Snack Foods (02) 9725-4855 - they'll tell you where you can get them in Brisbane or Melbourtne - they are available!! I got some there last month Roz. And definitely available in Melbourne too Joypod. These ones are 0 yes zero carbs - can't be all bad!

A few thoughts:

1) Watch out for the Asian Grocer ones - many have high sugar content!!

2) I have recipe for make your own - I bellieve BiLo sells the pork skin pretty cheap.

3) My local shopping centre sells real pork crackling at one of the chicken places - already cooked - YUMMO

4) I hate the Pork Krackles by themselves (I gag onthem and get indigestion) but to use as a dip, or as a base for nachos, or in meatloaf, or a a breading coating or for that real fake pizza base they are great - YUMMO!

Do it yourself recipe from good old Women's Weekly

Crunchy pork crackling
To make crunchy pork crackling, cook the rind separately from the meat. Cut the rind from the meat with a small, sharp knife and place it in a shallow baking dish; brush rind with one tablespoon of vegetable oil and rub with one tablespoon of coarse cooking salt. Bake, uncovered, in a very hot oven for about 40 minutes or until rind browns and crackles. Drain on absorbent paper.

Gook luck let me know how your search goes.

UP THE BLUES

Couldn't help that one Roz.

BFN

Jezebel
Mon, Feb-03-03, 21:35
PORKY BITS!
HI Rosebud... you can get pork rinds at The Stones corner fruit shop.... on the bread display(?!?) and Action Supermarket has a product called "PORKY BITS" it is a pork rind based snack, with a small amount of carbs.. I think I mistakenly said in another post that they were" Pork Krackles". Unfortunately they have MSG and hydrolysed veg protein , but they are very tasty... but not very healthy...!They also have wheat as an ingredient. :rolleyes:

FionaC
Tue, Feb-04-03, 01:57
Hi

I buy the pork rind snacks in Coles up here in Newcastle (NSW) - I liked them way before I was even thinking low carb so I am pretty happy I can still keep them on the menu as a snack :D

Anyway when they stopped stocking them for a while I just spoke to the grocery manager of the store and asked her what had happened to them and a week later they were back on the shelf, when I saw her the next time and commented on their return she said that a lot of their food choices come from customer requests - so maybe you should speak to the grocery manager of your local Coles and ask them to order them in for you....

Fiona :wave:

bennejo
Fri, Feb-07-03, 18:07
I have called the number provided by Wendy for Goldfoods and they did confirm that they are stocked at Coles and Safeway in melbourne but only at the larger ones. I ahve still been trying to track down a supermarket that actually stocks them in Melbourne so if anyone does come across them I would be delighted to know.

Cheers
Jodie

AshenPond
Sun, Feb-23-03, 18:11
Thanks for the info about Pork Rinds. I am fairly new to the site and wondered where I would be able to find them. We have both a Coles and Safeway here in Pakenham and as I am shopping this afternoon I will try and get some.

Take Care,

Ashenpond/Jenye :daizy:

marciap
Mon, Feb-24-03, 19:15
Hi everyone

After reading all these postings on pork rinds (which I have had but not for 30 years) I rushed out to hunt some down yesterday after work! So keen I was to replace my Darrell Lea Zero Carb Chololate Bar disaster with some other tasty snack.

I live in Sydney. I rang the company's phone number from one of the postings and was told that they were available at large Coles and Woolworths supermarkets. My local large Woolies had never heard of them unfortunately, but just by chance I thought I'd try the little Asian grocer two blocks away from my home. And I found them!

The ones I found are called Pork Krackles. When I spoke to the company I was told there was some MSG in the product. Don't know if it was his product that I found, but it would probably have MSG in it anyway. But, that aside, about 50% of the pack were dangerous to the health of my crowns! I was crunching away - some were really hard and others easily to crunch on. Not bad tasting, but nothing to write home about.

But after eating three, I was desperately seeking water as the stuff tends to get stuck in the throat and after eating about 20 of them, they decided to settle (unsettle) in my stomach and not get digested. I shouldn't have eaten them on top of my dinner. I was so keen to try them. I won't be eating them late at night again either.

I shall partake of them in moderation from now on. I get so carried away.....
Happy low-carbing, folks

BigDaddy32
Wed, Feb-26-03, 16:02
you just gotta make sure you chew each one all the way, I mean till it practically disolves in your mouth!

BluesRob
Wed, Mar-12-03, 22:27
Go the Blues!

I can't believe that the one American food import we really want is so hard to get in Oz!

I'm also looking out for them in Melbourne and will post if I find them.

missmac
Fri, Mar-14-03, 15:18
Hi I am new to this site and thrilled to find it. I have been on Atkins for close to two years and love it. it is the way to go for me.
Now about the pork rinds. I am addicted to them and went to do my regular groceries last week only to discover that they had been deleted at Woolworths. Upon more investigation with to MANAGER of Gold Medal snack foods who make them I discovered that they are updating the packaging and size of the packet so it is only a TEMPORARY shortage. Thank goodness. They should be back on the shelf soon I hope.

jules420
Fri, Mar-14-03, 15:36
I am from NZ auckland can anyone tell me if you can get pork rinds here I have been reading how much everyone enjoys them and maybe would like to try some at some stage :D

dmwalsh
Sun, Mar-16-03, 23:38
Hi,
I just bought the last packet of Pork Rinds from Coles Supermarket in Northcote, Victoria on Friday. I found them in the Asian Food Section. They were surprisingly tasty, handy to have if you feel the need for something salty.

Kristy22
Tue, Mar-18-03, 17:24
Hi everyone.
I went to my local supermarket yesterday and to my suprise I managed to grab the last packet of Pork Krackles. I must say that I found them quite tasty when I dipped them into sour cream.
For others looking for them the supermarket was Coles in East Burwood, the corner of Burwood HWY and Blackburn Rd next to K-mart. Melways reference map 61 k7.
Good luck in your quest to find them.

BluesRob
Tue, Mar-25-03, 20:05
Kristy I'm in Canterbury so I'm getting close now!!

What section of the Coles were they in?

spurs_fan0
Wed, May-21-03, 01:10
Do they not sell it in Perth?
No Pork Rinds for us West Aussies?!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

max_slorta
Wed, May-28-03, 16:52
Originally posted by BluesRob
Kristy I'm in Canterbury so I'm getting close now!!

What section of the Coles were they in?

Yay the Blues. Hows your public profile there mate?

I cant find them in Auckland either. Wisdom please?

casval
Wed, Jun-04-03, 01:48
Coles at East Burwood doesn't have the Pork Krackles anymore. I went and looked last night. But I did find them at the Safeway in Ashwood, cnr High St Rd and Warrigal Rd.

Delicious scooby snaks, especially after months of having no snacky things to snack on. But I do find that they stick in the throat. Tip: Have a glass of water handy when munching on them. Going back tonight for more :D

c

Rosebud
Wed, Jun-04-03, 03:37
I finally found Pork Krackles last week at Coles Fairfield Gardens. They've never had them before, so I grabbed a couple of packets. I've just developed the habit of checking to see if they were there - it was quite a surprise to actually see them after all this time. (I wasn't quite keen enough to go out of my way to look for them. ;) )

I quite like them, but don't want to eat too many of them - all that salt! I'd be forever bloated if I eat 'em too often.
They should be useful for cooking. :thup:

Roz

sambalam
Wed, Jun-04-03, 18:02
Pork Krackles can be found at Safeway in High St Preston and Coles in Northcote Plaza. I was impressed, i wouldn't eat them by themselves, they ARE sticky but with a dip, yum scrum.

max_slorta
Wed, Jun-04-03, 18:05
More specifically, Manukau City

Manukau Wholesale meats makes their own. The most fabulously light and crunchy crackles, melt in the mouth delicious thing you will ever eat.

They are on Ronwood ave down from McDonalds (Grr) next to warehouse stationary and the building depot

geraldine
Mon, Jun-09-03, 03:55
Thank you so much Max,

I have been searching Auckland for them ,

I guess you wouldn't know anywhere closer to the city?

Thanks Geri

max_slorta
Mon, Jun-09-03, 15:06
Originally posted by geraldine
Thank you so much Max,

I have been searching Auckland for them ,

I guess you wouldn't know anywhere closer to the city?

Thanks Geri

Sorry no I don't. Where are you in town?

geraldine
Tue, Jun-10-03, 02:54
Hi,

I am in Sandringham. Quite a drive from Manakau, but maybe worth it if nothing closer and they are as good as you say

Geri

max_slorta
Tue, Jun-10-03, 15:11
I have found another place in Panmure (even worse for you) but not a patch on the manukau ones

geraldine
Wed, Jun-11-03, 02:55
Thanks for looking around Max

See Ya Geri

sugarlessl
Wed, Aug-25-04, 15:13
hi there, I live in panmure Auckland, can anyone tell me where in panmure the pork crackles are? many thanks shannonrimmel~msn.com

sugarlessl
Wed, Aug-25-04, 15:21
hi there, I have not visited here in ages, hope ur going well, just wandering where in panmure did u get ur pork crakles
many thanks
sugarlessl

max_slorta
Wed, Aug-25-04, 15:38
The place that used to do them has closed. No great loss as they werent all that nice. The ones I used to get in Manukau were superb. Also do them in the vege shop in clendon

kiwilass
Thu, Aug-26-04, 13:56
Wellingtonians, there is a shop newly opened in Upper Hutt "Tinas Imported Clothes and Food" (or something like that ) that sells large bags of pork rinds/skin for about $5. Not very flavoursome, but great for grinding up and using in all those recipes that call for ground pork rinds.

Buffster
Sat, Aug-28-04, 02:07
Hi,
the best place to find pork rinds is in a filipino shop. They have different varieties with no MSG.

kiwigal
Sun, Aug-29-04, 04:02
N.Zers in Auckland..You can get pork rinds in St Lukes shopping mall at the 'Coriander' food stall, they have them pre-packaged in $3 bags.