PDA

View Full Version : Rhubarb Jell-o

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Kay
Mon, Apr-30-01, 17:21
Rhubarb is the first edible thing in my garden in the spring, so I was interested to see this dessert recipe in an old cookbook: Cook 4 cups rhubarb in ¼ cup water with ½ cup sugar. Stir in two boxes of jello. Chill.
Sounds kind of thick to me, but it got me thinking.

Rhubarb Jelly

4 cups rhubarb, chopped
2 cups water
2 pkg red jelly powder, light

Cook the rhubarb in 1 cup of water until soft. Stir in the jelly powder until completely dissolved. Sweeten to taste with stevia if necessary. Add the other cup of water or use ice cubes to get a faster gel. Divide among six bowls. Chill.
Per serving:
Carbs 2.8 g
Fibre 1.1g
ECC1.7 g

I used cherry flavoured jelly powder. I’ve made this twice so far. It's quite good, especially with a little whipped cream to cut the bite!

Karen
Mon, Apr-30-01, 17:31
Looks groovy! It would be especially good with LC strawberry
Jell-o.

Karen

r.mines
Mon, Apr-30-01, 18:37
I have no idea how to make this, but somehow it seems like it might be a good idea. I'm thinking of a sweetish, hot chutney to go with curries. I think I'll experiment.

Rachel

Carol
Mon, Apr-30-01, 19:27
Here is a very good recipe with rhubarb & strawberries.......

* Exported from MasterCook *

Rhubarb-Strawberry Compote

Recipe By : Barbo
Serving Size : 17 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Fruits

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 pound rhubarb -- cut in 1" chunks
2 cups fresh strawberries -- sliced
1/2 cup splenda -- or less
1 package sugar free gelatin powder -- strawberry
1 teaspoon strawberry extract
1 cup cold water

- Place berries and rhubarb in a pan with water and cook until rhubarb softens. This takes about 5-6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add package of strawberry gelatin, strawberry extract stirring in well.
- When cool, add sugar substitute.
-Carbs per 1/2 cup serving:2.8 minus 0.7 grams fiber=2.1 carbs

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sharon
Mon, Apr-30-01, 20:22
Kay, your recipe looks great.... I'll be watching my Rhubarb, so when it's ready I can try this.....everything is so late this year.