PDA

View Full Version : Suffering IBS more!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

emmalees
Mon, May-20-02, 06:23
I have only been doing Atkins for 4 weeks but I have found my IBS is much worse - more bloating and much worse constipation.

I originally started as I was overweight and also thought I may be intolerant to wheat.

I have now started taking physillium husks and have decided to cut out cheese to see if this makes a difference too as i have been eating a lot. am also drinking about 3 litres of water a day and doing exercise now.

Has anyone else had similar reactions to me - or is it just because I am at the start? I know that each person is different so maybe I just need to find my particular intolerance?

Thanks

lissylou73
Mon, May-20-02, 19:54
emmalees,

I have IBS too, but I have diarrhea predominant IBS. I have been on the PP diet for about a month and a half. I have found the diet to be constipating. So, if you have constipation predominant IBS, you are doing the right thing by increasing your water and fiber intake and exercising. I gladly welcome the constipation :D , so I am not currently taking any fiber supplements.

Also, a sudden change in diet, such as going from a regular diet to the Atkins' can wreak havoc on your digestive system temporarily. You may want to stick it out a bit longer if you can.

Good luck to you!

emmalees
Wed, May-22-02, 04:51
Thanks for your message Lissylou!

Since I posted my message I have taken physsilium husks and stopped eating cheese which has certainly helped a lot!

Am going to the doctors tomorrow to see if there is anything else I should be doing and am having food allergy testing on Friday. I have suffered for so long that I think this diet has made me realise I need to do something to try and sort it out once and for all (if possible!)

Hope your situation improves - I certainly recommend the husks but not sure if they will make you revert back to your old problems?

Thanks again!

Talon
Wed, May-22-02, 06:05
One interesting thing I had read is that some people who actually think the suffer from diareah, are actually suffering from constipation. The intestines start to clog up, the body responds with absorbing more water into the intestines and viola - diareah symptoms. This explained to me why I went from consitpation to diareah in a split second. I've started taking psyllium husk tablets (last week) and they've really done the trick.

nsmith4366
Wed, May-22-02, 06:14
I'm not a doctor, but I do know this:

Hard to imagine anyone confusing C with D.

C= haven't had a movement in more than 3 days, straining, low
volume, dry hard ribbon stools - or no result. Result only with
fleet enema, stimulants or fiber supplements. Feeling of
"fullness", or bloating, anxiety usually accompanies.

D= unpredictable, uncontrollable urgent need to "go",
stools are loose, watery and high in volume. The
person may suffer dehyration, malabsorbtion of
nutrients leading to weakness and electrolyte
imbalances. Changes in health can lead to depression.

Both conditions can result in hemorrhoids, internal and external - both cnditions can be painful and can cause temporary or permanent consequences to the bowel/small intestine/colon.
-Anyone with these conditions that last more than 7 days should see their family physician. Both conditions could be due to disease states that are preventing normal bowel function. Long term dependency on stimulant laxatives (which psyllium is not) can lead to serious complications, even the loss of bowel function completely.

That said -

Psyllium husks are nortorious for bloating and gas. Change to a Non-fermenting fiber source - like citrucel...there are many others.

If you take psyllium husks and do not drink enough water you may become constipated.

Change fibers, keep the cheese/milk product out of your diet and drink water - EATING YOUR VEGGIES?

I had IBS before Atkinsing, not anymore!
Think about what you changed/you started taking psyllium and things got worse!

Sometimes the answers to our questions are in the questions themsleves.

Goodluck! :wave:

lissylou73
Wed, May-22-02, 22:22
nsmith4366,

You are correct about the psyllium creating gas and bloating. My doctors always recommended Citrucel or FiberCon as well. However, one needs should always ease into any kind of new fiber therapy.

Talon,

I kind of get what you are saying about confusing C & D. I go several days (now that I am LCing) without a BM (which to me seems like C), and then all of a sudden, I have D. :daze:

I think some IBSers worry too much about if they have C or D. A lot of IBSers can have both (if that makes sense)! So, I can see where some confusion may happen.

emmalees,

I am glad to hear you have found relief with the psyllium! As you know, with IBS, what works for one, may not for the other!

Take care everyone!

Oldsalty
Sat, May-25-02, 07:49
I just wanted to say that we have NO gas or bloating with psyllium use. The brand that we buy has no sugar or sweetener added. In contrast any of the Metamucil varieties DO cause bloating because the ones that we tried had either sugar or artificial sweeteners added.