PDA

View Full Version : Nice Nutty Cookies

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

vsalmon
Sun, Feb-17-13, 17:00
[IMG]http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag64/vsalmon/Photo1-7_zps21141833.jpg

Nice Nutty Cookies

1/2 c almond flour
1/2 c unsweetened coconut flour (or flake coconut)
1 c chopped pecans
4 Tblsp peanut or almond butter
4 Tblsp soft butter
1 Tblsp roasted flax seeds
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 c stevia or erythritol (add more for sweeter)
2 eggs
1/3 c unsweetened chocolate chips or pieces
1 heaping tsp baking soda.

Cream the peanut butter, soft butter, vanilla, eggs and sweetener. Add rest of ingredients. Mix well until cookie dough consistency. Put spoonfuls on cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees about 13 min.

18 cookies 2.5 nc each.

Not for Induction.

About the roasted flax seeds. I bought those in place of golden flax which I usually buy (it was not refrigerated at this store and can go rancid if not kept cool). When roasted they have a nice nutty taste and texture. They need to be roasted at 250 degrees for about 10 min. Raw flaxseeds contain cyanogenic glycosides which, if you eat more than 4-5 Tbsp daily, can inhibit thyroid function so be sure to roast them (heat destroys the glycosides). Still, you want to watch your flaxseed consumption as too much too soon could result in bloating, diarrhea, etc. Here is a thread on flaxmeal and thyroid http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=252250

I have upped the nut butter from the original recipe I posted because I found as they sat they got a bit crumbly...still great!

freckles
Mon, Feb-18-13, 18:08
YUM! Can't wait to try these. Happening this week for sure. Maybe tomorrow.

Buttoni
Tue, Feb-19-13, 19:12
Those look fantastic, Vicki!

ringamajig
Tue, Feb-19-13, 20:01
Those look really good.

Thanks for sharing.

vsalmon
Wed, Feb-20-13, 07:51
Thanks! I love crunchy oatmeal cookies and these kind of have that same texture!

freckles
Wed, Feb-20-13, 17:28
I finally got to make these today, Vicki. My biggest question: Are they supposed to flatten out while baking, or stay in a ball shape? I thought from the photo that they came out flatter. I used a fork to flatten them about halfway through baking.

Also, mine came out a crumbly texture out of the oven. That may be a difference in the brand of coconut flour.

I used twice as much sweetener and they are still not quite sweet enough for me.

All that said, they are very good and I will continue to try to play with the recipe. Makes HUGE cookies!

vsalmon
Thu, Feb-21-13, 16:36
Hi
For some reason I can't edit the recipe. When I made them I thought I was using coconut flour but it was really finely flaked. I made them last night with unsweetened flaked coconut and liked them better. Also, I have made them both ways...pressing down or just in a lump. Sorry you had trouble.

freckles
Thu, Feb-21-13, 16:44
Ah! Well that's a huge difference. :lol: They still turned out pretty good, considering! That would account for the crumbly texture for sure. Thanks, Vicki! I'll try the amended recipe when these are all gone. :yum:

vsalmon
Mon, Mar-11-13, 01:42
For some reason I cannot edit this recipe. So...I am now substituting coconut oil for the butter and like it a lot. Also, the artificial sugar can be modified to taste. Date sugar was recently brought to my attention. Hmm...that sounds interesting!****Sounds like date sugar is higher carb and almost pure sucralose so probably not the best option!

freckles
Mon, Mar-11-13, 07:08
I forgot to come and post that I made these with coconut flakes instead of flour and they turned out WONDERFUL! LOVE them. Very easy and delicious.

Vicki, my understanding is that date sugar is VERY high carb, so proceed with caution.

vsalmon
Mon, Mar-11-13, 09:58
ohhh....thanks! It is quite spendy so will definitely check carb counts first!

kvcooks
Mon, Mar-11-13, 11:36
I am so making these this week!