PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin D and Dr Mercola

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Oldsalty
Sat, May-18-02, 09:36
Her is an article posted by Dr Mercola.

Vitamin D for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome

Polycystic ovary syndrome refers to multiple cysts on the ovaries and a host of other problems that go along with them, including

Anovulation (lack of ovulation) and
Menstrual abnormalities,
Hirsutism (increased facial hair),
Male pattern baldness,
Acne, and
Obesity.
Such women may also have varying degrees of insulin resistance and an increased incidence of Type II diabetes, unfavorable lipid patterns (usually high triglycerides), and a low bone density. Laboratory tests often show higher than normal circulating androgens, especially testosterone.

In this study researchers examined a small group of patients with polycystic ovary syndrome and found that they were low in vitamin D levels.

Normalization of vitamin D levels normalized menstrual cycles in over half the women in two months. Two patients became pregnant and four others maintained normal menstrual cycles.

Steroids June 1999 64(6):430-5

The page for Dr Mercola's article is.
http://www.mercola.com/2002/may/18/vitamin_d.htm

DebPenny
Fri, May-31-02, 17:44
Interesting: I've always been a big milk drinker, so I am assuming I got plenty of Vitamin D. And the PCOS symptoms I don't have are: male pattern baldness, acne, and low bone density. Maybe the milk helped me avoid at least the last one. But the vitamin D surely didn't help me with my PCOS.

;-Deb
:daizy:

sloving
Tue, Mar-30-04, 02:27
I remember when studying Home Economics at school, my teach said to preserve the Vitamin D content in milk, to not expose it to sunlight i.e. to be carful of milk delivered in see-through cartons. I happened to find this excerpt on the internet really useful:

"Vitamin A and D fortified skim milk products are subject to decreases in vitamin A, because the vitamin is no longer protected by fat as it is in whole milk. In fluid skim or low fat milk, added vitamin A deteriorates gradually during normal storage of the milk at 4.4°C (40°F) in the dark but is destroyed rapidly when the milk is exposed to sunlight in transparent glass bottles or translucent plastic containers. The photo destruction of added vitamin A is dependent on the intensity and wave-length of light and the milk source. The use of amber or brown glass bottles, pigmented plastic containers formulated with specific light barriers and colored paper cartons retard this destruction. Vitamin A losses in reduced fat milk (2%) from five (5) dairy plants ranged from 8% to 31% when they were exposed to 200 foot-candles of fluorescent light for twenty-four (24) hours in opaque plastic containers. Use of pigmented containers or gold shields over fluorescent tubes practically eliminated these losses."
http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~ear/pmo01o.html

MyJourney
Tue, Mar-30-04, 06:36
I know the thing about the milk.

I didnt know vitamin D will help.

I drink the carb sountdown milk sometimes and take a multiviamin with Vitamin D, but I get most of my vitamin D from butter, eggs, salmon and cod liver oil.

walnut
Wed, Mar-31-04, 02:41
The most bioavailable form of vite D comes from the sun. Protein power lifeplan devotes an entire chapter to the importance of getting a little sun... it's a good read. :D Mercola has some decent info about sun/vite D too.