PDA

View Full Version : Hi!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

JEM66
Wed, Nov-21-12, 02:19
Hey there :) I'm new to low-carb and new to any forum...here goes!

I'm day 3 on Atkins and have seen an 8 lb loss so far...it's blown me away to be honest! I have been reading heeeeaps this week, and understand that this is likely to be due to the diuretic effect of this way of eating, but it's encouraging none the less.

I've been following the easy plan for 2 week induction from the Atkins site, and it's been great so far. Really easy and step by step instructions for the dishes that involve cooking. I've found the initial outlay quite expensive with the bars and shakes, but I guess when I compare that to what I was spending eating out at cafes in previous months, it's not that much different.

Anywho...I plan to be around for a while and want my health to improve! I've always exercised and plan to continue with gentle aerobic exercise in the first few weeks and just see how I feel :)

PS - I had suuuch a craving for carbs last night, I can't believe I didn't consume every piece of chocolate in my house. I jumped online and it looks like I might have induction flu? Sucks the big one, but I believe it will be worth it in the end!!!!!!

Michaelk
Wed, Nov-21-12, 03:39
Hi and welcome. Your doing great Atkins flu sucks right enough but it will pass. If your hungry make sure your eating enough especially fat as it help to make you feel satisfied.

I had a problem with Atkins products giving me cravings so be careful. I have heard others say the same. You don't need to use them especially if they are so expensive.

Best of luck

LittleZu
Wed, Nov-21-12, 07:12
Hi Jem, and welcome to the forums!

The cravings will pass, it's only rough at the first bit, then you won't care about eating carbs at all!

As Michael said, you might want to nix the bars and shakes, they also gave me bad carb cravings. I just stick with meat and veggies, with some dairy.

Anyway, welcome and good luck! :)

Elizellen
Wed, Nov-21-12, 12:12
Welcome to the board, Jem :wave:

I agree, the bars and shakes are all sweetened so will do nothing to kill off your sugar monster. :(
Better to eat a high fat snack (or even a sour one like a dill pickle/gherkin) to start to starve him out!

kitann
Wed, Nov-21-12, 13:46
Welcome Jem! And count me in on the side of less/no bars and shakes. I used a few when I started. I limited my intake to one per day but still had to get over that psychological craving for a sweet thing before I could really move on. And I've found whole foods to be much more satisfying in the end. However, if the prepared products help you get a run at this way of eating (woe) use them for a while. We each have to find our own comfort level.

JEM66
Fri, Nov-23-12, 00:16
Thanks a mill for the words of wisdom and the welcome!

It's amazing how many forums there are and the amount of support out there if you just reach out.

I'll definitely keep in mind the advice about the bars & shakes as it seems to be a common trip up in particular for the newbies!