PDA

View Full Version : Hi

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

emmie_a
Mon, Nov-19-12, 19:29
Hi: I'm a new low-carber. After almost 18 months of health-related hell, I've finally been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I also have a Candida overgrowth, IBS, gluten sensitivity and a leaky gut. These are all new conditions/illnesses and my doctor put me on a 'no whites' diet -- low carb, low glycemic. I have been following a basic Primal diet plan for three weeks so far (no grains!!, meats/fish/poultry, non-starchy vegs, eggs, coconut oil, ghee, homemade yogurt) and I think I'm doing ok but I'm not seeing weight loss yet or any improvement in my other symptoms (too numerous to list but low energy, depression, rash on my face are huge issues). I know it's still early but it's just extremely frustrating to eat such a healthy diet and not see it show on my body. I don't even recognize myself when I look in the mirror as I have gained a significant amount of weight in the past year because of my thyroid condition (both my ft3 and ft4 are below range) and am anxious to get myself back in shape.
I guess my one concern right now is the tiny amount of sugar I'm still eating. My ONE small indulgence is 80% organic dark chocolate a few times a week, which of course contains a small amount of sugar. Is this sabotaging me? I want to go no sugar eventually but I'm really addicted and it's hard to quit. Any suggestions? Thanks so much!!
Emmie

muffles
Mon, Nov-19-12, 21:03
Your body needs to heal before you can lose weight. All of your conditions need weeks , sometimes months to see results, so keep going the way you are and be patient. Easier said than done!
How are you treating the candida overgrowth? Have you looked at homemade bone broth to help repair your gut?
Not sure about the chocolate...it might be ok, or it might have something in it causing your body to react.
If it was me, I'd try a week without the chocolate, then try a week with and see what happens.
and am anxious to get myself back in shape.
Try to relax , raised cortisol levels will hamper your body's recovery and weight loss efforts.

emmie_a
Mon, Nov-19-12, 22:07
Hi Muffles! Thank you so much for the encouraging words. As far as the Candida, my doctor started me on the low carb diet as the first line of attack but I'm seeing him next week and he is going to give me a more in-depth treatment plan. From everything I've read it seems sugar is especially bad for Candida so I am going to try (!) your suggestion and keep it out for a week and see if that makes any difference in my symptoms.
And yes, thank you for mentioning the bone broth. I am in the process of reading about the GAPS program (no grain diet designed to heal gut and psychologic issues) and there is a lot of information about homemade broth and how it heals your gut. I am going to start adding that next week. I'm not a huge broth fan but I'll try to make some soups or stews with it.
I had my hormones tested and while my estrogen is super high, progesterone super low and vitamin D super low (just started taking D supplements), my cortisol levels were actually ok, which was a pleasant surprise! -- But I do have to remind myself not to stress-out over all this because that will just make things worse.
I really appreciate your suggestions and thank you for the information!

LittleZu
Tue, Nov-20-12, 07:14
Hello emmie, and welcome to the foums!

Sorry to hear about your medical troubles! I hope low carb can help you to overcome some of that in time!

Good luck!

Nancy LC
Tue, Nov-20-12, 08:59
Is your thyroid being treated? What are you taking?

http://stopthethyroidmadness.com

It is really difficult to lose weight if your thyroid levels aren't right. Really, really difficult.

slmrickman
Tue, Nov-20-12, 11:23
Welcome................

emmie_a
Tue, Nov-20-12, 12:06
Hi Nancy: Thank you for the info... stopthethyroidmadness.com has become my bible lately! I did a lot of research and found a doctor that prescribed Armour, which is what I'm taking. I've only been medicated for a few weeks now and I know I'm expecting too much too soon -- I just hate all these symptoms (especially the weight gain!). This has really turned my life upside down!

On the up side, I have never been a healthy eater and this new low-carb lifestyle has actually been sort of fun - experimenting with new foods and recipes. ...Not sure how I'm going to get through a Thanksgiving without stuffing and sweet potato casserole but hey - I've already made it three weeks without my daily pumpkin spice latte!

JoanD'Arc
Tue, Nov-20-12, 13:44
Emmie, welcome. I have such similar problems, but no real answers for you, I'm sort of in the thick of it myself. I think it's great that your doctor recommended low carb.

I have been stuffing-free for 3 Thanksgivings now, and I just wanted to sympathize with you. I focus on the turkey with gravy and green beans. I plan on having some sort of pumpkin dessert, made with honey, no dairy or gluten, and a nice chai tea, no sugar. If I double up on my favorite low carb foods, I feel satisfied and happy.

Keep posting, I'd like to know your progress.

emmie_a
Tue, Nov-20-12, 17:58
Hi JoanDArc! I'm sorry you're dealing with similar health problems. It's not easy, that's for sure. I'm just curious if low carb eating has alleviated any of your symptoms or conditions?

Thanks for sharing your turkey day experiences. It looks like you are gluten and sugar free as well. I'm actually not missing grains at all but SUGAR! I just want sugar all the time and while I have drastically reduced my intake I still have some work to do!

Happy Thanksgiving!

JoanD'Arc
Tue, Nov-20-12, 19:32
Hi Emmie,

I am insulin resistant and low carb is the only way I can control it, even though loss is torturously slow for me. CAD is a wonderful low carb diet for controlling insulin, too, but the weight loss is even slower...I will definitely use it to maintain my weight....when that time comes.

I have eczema that acts up with dairy. I had IBS when I was drinking whey protein shakes a while back. I have bloating when I eat wheat. I also have severe depression at TOM so I know my hormones are a mess. Doctors didn't do extensive tests and only suggested psychiatric help. I should have seen an endocrinologist, but I would need a referral and am a little discouraged. I did have my thyroid checked and it seemed to be on the high end of normal. I also have acne, which I think is from dairy and gluten, but sometimes wonder if it will ever go away (I cheat on the dairy far too often, but only in small amounts.) I am about to read a book recommended by a friend called 'The Hormone Diet'. It's an elimination diet to figure out what the real problem is. Not sure if allergy testing wouldn't be just as effective.

Dark chocolate dipped in peanut butter is my vice. I don't think it has too much sugar if you limit yourself to a 4 carb square. I don't have it everyday, so I don't think it's contributing to my problems, but like I said, I don't have all the answers...yet.

Way too much info, this is your thread, but I would like to know what things end up working for you.

emmie_a
Tue, Nov-20-12, 20:12
Hi JoanD'Arc: Thanks so much for sharing. After seeing waay too many incompetent doctors this year and not being diagnosed correctly I finally found an allergist who is helping me tremendously. From what he has explained to me (and you may know all this already! & hopefully I'm explaining it correctly...) is that most of our immune system is controlled by our gut. So once we get our gut in-line and healthy, the immune system will follow. Like you, I have eczema, IBS, thyroid and severe depression. I wanted to do allergy testing for the eczema and IBS but he seemed to think the gut-healing was the route to go because once that is healed, the food sensitivities will abate and the eczema and IBS should heal. He even thinks my hpothyroidism and depression are linked to my unhealthy gut as well. I am on meds for those two diseases but hey, if I can improve those with a healthy diet and lifestyle, why not!!

I will definitely keep you informed on my journey and I would love to hear from you as well... I feel like I have ZERO control over my body and emotions right now but I'm hoping that will change in the months to come!

JoanD'Arc
Tue, Nov-20-12, 21:14
Thanks for the support, Emmie. It's nice to think that all my problems might go away if I just heal my gut, even the depression. That is the premise of 'The Hormone Diet', too. Even weight loss should be easier if we are healthy and balanced. Glad you found a doctor that thinks that way.

Here's to a healthy gut! (toasting with broth, blah!)