PDA

View Full Version : Strange PooPoo

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

kodi10
Thu, May-16-02, 20:12
Ok, so this isn't what I really love writing about, but I have to hear from you guys on this.

I find that when I reduce carbs my stool turn green. We are not talking a little green, we are talking GREEN. It even turns the water green.

A friend of mine who is lowcarbing too has the same thing, but hers is really really dark green (she tells me this, I promise, I didn't look). :rolleyes:

Is this normal for this diet. I don't find anything in the book.
:read:

Mila
Thu, May-16-02, 22:11
hi kodi!
green stool is most likely from excess of bile in your stool. when our diet is very high in fat liver produces plenty of bile and the BM's are greener, when our diet is low in fat, the BM's are browner, sometimes light yellow or all colors of the rainbow, depends on what you have eaten, lol.

mila
:wave:

Natrushka
Fri, May-17-02, 11:26
Kodi, I took this from a page about poo, I kid you not :)

Q: What is the cause of green poop?

A. I have consulted with a doctor, a physiologist and a microbiologist on this question, and the following summarizes their answers:

Healthy people can have green poop if they eat a diet rich in leafy green vegetables, or if they consume large quantities of food coloring (in ice cream, cake frosting etc.).

Green poop can also be caused by excess iron in the diet, from dietary supplements, for example. If the body does not absorb all the iron consumed, the iron may stain the poop green, the color of iron (II) salts. Ordinarily, the green color may be masked by the normal brown poop color, but if digestion is thrown off by illness so that bilirubin is less concentrated in the intestine, the green color may become apparent. This can happen when a person is afflicted with diarrhea.

Green poop in sick babies may come from iron in baby formula not being properly absorbed, or by green pigments in bile salts (again, green from iron).

You can read more about this topic here (http://www.heptune.com/poop.html) ;)

Nat

mbschlgr
Fri, May-17-02, 14:15
I have it sometimes too and it is always when I have consumed a large quantity of green leafy veggies! Mostly spinach.

Janice
Fri, May-17-02, 16:31
Whatever the reason, purple food dye also causes green poo. My husband occaisionally consumes huge quantities of Ribena, and my children, purple jello. Green poo.

Been indulging in any sugar-free purple jello?

Janice

kodi10
Fri, May-17-02, 21:25
Anyway,

Nat: George Carlin said once, "If you invent a left nostril inhaler, some schmuck will buy it." I guess the same is true about websites. Regardless of the subject, someone will create a website. :p I noticed that you can sign up to get on their mailing list for updates. I think I will pass. But kind of interesting, in a very strange way.

Mila - My mother used to tell me it was bile when I was a kid. Didn't eat much spinach then, but it did not happen very often either when I was young.

Mary - I think you are on the right track. I have been eating spinach (raw) often as I perfer it over any other leafy veg. I pay attention to if it gets worse then.

Janice: Purple sugarless Jello. Funny you mention that. I have been looking high and low for it, but no luck. Found green and pink and orange, but alas, no purple. Perhaps I am experiencing sympathy poop. :confused:

mbschlgr
Sat, May-18-02, 05:35
It does make sense with the spinach

1 it's loaded with fiber
2 its' green
3 its' loaded with iron (being the #1 reason for green)