PDA

View Full Version : New to Low Carbing

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Michaelk
Sat, Oct-27-12, 04:57
Hi all,

I have been on the Atkins diet for the last 3 weeks. I was previously on a VLCD but every time I got to the maintaining aspect my weight jumped back up dramatically.

I'm hoping with this diet that I can start as I mean to go on. Rather than dramatic changes I'm hopping over time I can learn the levels of carbs I can take without effecting my weight negativly.

So far I have been doing well on this diet. I lost 14lbs by the end of induction and am next due to weigh myself in a couple of days. I'n mot expecting the same levels obviously but I do hope to see some sign that things are going in the right direction.

Looking forward to learning and getting to know you guys. Its hard I think for me to admit I have a problem and even harder to ask for help. We all need support.

Doggygirl2
Sat, Oct-27-12, 09:41
Hi Michael and welcome! I can sure relate to what you said about needing support. Me too. I am a recent re-starter. :) Congrats on your success thus far!

Just out of curiosity, what was it about VLC that stopped working for you? I've been reading a lot lately about various plans so I'm just curious.

Hope you have an encouraging weight in!

DG

slmrickman
Sat, Oct-27-12, 12:06
Welcome.................

Michaelk
Sat, Oct-27-12, 12:59
Just out of curiosity, what was it about VLC that stopped working for you? I've been reading a lot lately about various plans so I'm just curious.

DG

It didn't stop working ontill i went into management stage.

The type of VLCD i was on comprised of soups shakes and bars. I ended up with gallstones because of fast weight loss and I have also developed gastritis. It also was finantially quite costly.

It did its job but as a way of life it didn't work for me as I could never control my appetite during maintanence(return to conventional food). I would start to put on weight straight away.

That can still happen on Atkins I know fingers crossed that wont happen as Atkins diet seem more of a way of life than a change from one thing to another. Hope that makes sence.

Aradasky
Sat, Oct-27-12, 18:48
Get these two books, settle into a comfy chair and read. You will learn tons of good info.

The New Atkins for a New You (http://www.amazon.com/New-Atkins-You-Ultimate-Shedding/dp/B005OHSD3A/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1351385110&sr=1-1&keywords=atkins)

and

Jenny Ruhl's Diet 101: The Truth About Low Carb Diets (http://www.amazon.com/Diet-101-Truth-About-Diets/dp/0964711656/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1351385247&sr=1-1&keywords=jenny+ruhl+diet+101)

Michaelk
Sun, Oct-28-12, 05:43
Get these two books, settle into a comfy chair and read. You will learn tons of good info.

The New Atkins for a New You (http://www.amazon.com/New-Atkins-You-Ultimate-Shedding/dp/B005OHSD3A/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1351385110&sr=1-1&keywords=atkins)

and

Jenny Ruhl's Diet 101: The Truth About Low Carb Diets (http://www.amazon.com/Diet-101-Truth-About-Diets/dp/0964711656/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1351385247&sr=1-1&keywords=jenny+ruhl+diet+101)

Thank you Aradasky. I have read and still read the new Atkins for a new you. Really got a lot from it. But I need to go over it again. I am a bit stuck like I have carried on in induction to some degree. I have ordered a book call "why we get fat and what to do about it". When I get through these I will take a look at diet 101. I need all the help I can get.

Doggygirl2
Sun, Oct-28-12, 06:35
It didn't stop working ontill i went into management stage.

The type of VLCD i was on comprised of soups shakes and bars. I ended up with gallstones because of fast weight loss and I have also developed gastritis. It also was finantially quite costly.

It did its job but as a way of life it didn't work for me as I could never control my appetite during maintanence(return to conventional food). I would start to put on weight straight away.

That can still happen on Atkins I know fingers crossed that wont happen as Atkins diet seem more of a way of life than a change from one thing to another. Hope that makes sence.

That makes perfect sense Michael. The transition from weight loss to maintenance on Atkins certainly seems more reasonable than a complete change in foods and meal plans. There is so much good info out there on low carb eating! Many books! The hardest part for me is picking ONE plan and sticking with it. :) Good luck!

DG

Aradasky
Sun, Oct-28-12, 15:32
Jenny has a lot of tech stuff, but Tons of just logical information. I wish I'd had it when I first started. I just listened to Jimmy Moore's interview of her and am still impressed.

http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/atlcx-episode-27-jenny-ruhl-overcoming-the-problems-with-a-low-carb-diet/15736