PDA

View Full Version : Introduction-- Back on Track

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ElementBCs
Thu, Oct-25-12, 12:20
Hi everyone!

I'm Ellie. 20-something, married, dog trainer, dog agility competitor, master of English Literature and falling off diet bandwagons. ;)

I've never been "thin," or a small person. I'm 5'8" and curvy, and have struggled with my weight practically my whole life, even though I'm pretty active, competing in dog sports, riding horses, etc. I've never had a whole lot of success with losing weight and keeping it off for long periods of time.

I did Atkins for the first time before my wedding in 2008, and had a lot of success, losing about 35 lbs. Not only that, but I felt GREAT, had a ton more energy, and some of my other medical issues improved, too. But the siren song of pasta and bread and laziness proved too strong :( I fell off the wagon a few months after my wedding, and gained back what I'd lost plus an extra ten lbs or so over the next few years thanks to stress and just not caring about what I ate. I hated being photographed, and clothes shopping was (and still is) painful for me. My self esteem, which has never been great, plummeted to an all time low. I would go back on Atkins sporadically, but always give it up. I didn't eat that badly most of the time.

At the end of August, I decided that I was being ridiculous. Unlike some other things in my life, my weight, and how I felt about myself, was something I COULD change. I wanted to not freak out anytime someone whips out a camera. I wanted to run faster and have more endurance for dog sports. This time, it all feels different. I feel like I am finally ready to make some real changes and take control of this part of my life. I started up with C25k again (something else I'd tried to start many times but always ended up quitting), and am still going with it. I've cleaned up my diet in a major way and have gone back to eating a low carb/high protein diet. I've already lost almost ten lbs and I feel amazing. I signed up for a 5k next month, and am really looking forward to it :)

So here I am... part of the way through my weight loss journey. I'm not happy with where I'm at yet... but I like the direction I'm going :)

I look forward to getting to know y'all!

slmrickman
Thu, Oct-25-12, 12:42
Welcome Element and congrats on deciding to make the change....GREAT START

becky7474
Thu, Oct-25-12, 12:45
Welcome! :wave:

Lulumae
Thu, Oct-25-12, 13:51
Hi there. I'm sure you're doing the right thing. Way to go!!

Doggygirl2
Thu, Oct-25-12, 16:04
Hi Element! WOW congratulations on your progress so far, and on your ATTITUDE!!! I'm reading your words about REAL CHANGE over and over - because that is what I want too. I am also a re-starter and just posted here in Introductions yesterday. I am also tall - 5'9" and stats a bit similar in terms of start and goal weights. Met another woman here already who is also similar in height and stats!

I used to ride horses and my husband trains dogs in Schutzhund. (which is no longer called Schutzhund I guess - now it's just IPO) Not sure if you've ever heard of that. I always thought agility would be so much fun! What kind of dog(s) do you have?

Good luck!

DG

ElementBCs
Thu, Oct-25-12, 16:31
Thanks! I have Border Collies (and one very cranky Boston Terrier). Agility IS really fun... lots of training, but most of it is FUN training. And yes, I have heard of Schutzhund/IPO... I actually used to be a member of a local Schutzhund club because I was really interested in it and in German Shepherds back in the day. My path has kind of gone a different direction, but I still have many friends that do Schutzhund :)

Emzi06
Thu, Oct-25-12, 20:22
Hello Element! Welcome! :)
Wishing you the best of luck!

ferrygirl
Fri, Oct-26-12, 01:28
Hi, and welcome! :wave:

It's great that you already know how well Atkins works for you. This forum is a great place to help you stick to your goals.

I also started Atkins and running together!

Best of luck to you on your journey!

Doggygirl2
Fri, Oct-26-12, 05:43
Thanks! I have Border Collies (and one very cranky Boston Terrier). Agility IS really fun... lots of training, but most of it is FUN training. And yes, I have heard of Schutzhund/IPO... I actually used to be a member of a local Schutzhund club because I was really interested in it and in German Shepherds back in the day. My path has kind of gone a different direction, but I still have many friends that do Schutzhund :)

LOL years ago I "babysat" my old bosses border collie for several months. What a BIG personality and HIGH ENERGY!!! Maybe one day I will get a chance to try agaility before I'm in a wheelchair or something. Have to figure out how to fit another dog in the house. :) I can't believe I found someone here already who knows what Schutzhund is!!! My husband's trainer is competing at the USA Nationals next weekend in Nashville and we're going to watch. I used to be involved with horses too - did I mention that? We have lots in common!

DG