PDA

View Full Version : Low Carb Baking Mixes

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Everfriend
Wed, Oct-24-12, 11:55
Comic Sans MS]Hi all. I am new to the low carb world but I find that I am REALLY missing my bread. I see a LOT of low carb baking mixes on the market but I don't want to go picking one blindly. Does anyone have any suggestions on a really good tasting one? HELP! LOL

becky7474
Wed, Oct-24-12, 13:13
Welcome! :wave:

I don't use them so I can't help you.

Michaelk
Sat, Oct-27-12, 06:25
I bought soy flour and made waffles. I like them but my wife and kids think they are disgusting. That seems to be across the board from what I have read. You don't know if you like it or not until you try it.

I have also baked with almond flour with good results.

I use flax meal to make muffins which are nice and have a bready texture if you put extra flax meal in them.

Don't have experience with the mixes but I haven"t come across anyone who was very positive about them.

Lulumae
Sat, Oct-27-12, 07:07
Hi, I can't really answer the question but I'm curious about your flax meal muffins.
I don't actually miss bread, or pasta, or any of that stuff, much to my amazement. I don't know how long that state of grace will last. I've been giving my husband extra carbs with meals. He used to eat muesli in the morning. But now he's decided to give up wheat too. My brain doesn't seem to react to the sight of bread any more. Maybe it would react t the smell of baking though. I think even low carb baking might be dangerous!

Michaelk
Sat, Oct-27-12, 08:18
If you google Internet muffin you will get various recipes. I buy linseeds and run them through my coffee grinder. I do that because seeds last longer than meal.

1/3 cup of flax meal
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Vanilla essence or extract
1 teaspoon of melted butter
1 teaspoon of sweetener

Mix all and put in a buttered cup or bowl. Microwave for 1.5 mins. I like to cover with cream cheese and if I want something sweet I can add sweetener to the cheese. You can add other things to the mix like nuts or other seeds or even cocoa powder.

JLx
Sun, Oct-28-12, 17:20
Quite an assortment on this site by Jennifer Eloff, a well known low carb cookbook author: http://low-carb-news.blogspot.com/p/bake-mixes-baking-and-breads.html

Everfriend
Mon, Oct-29-12, 13:19
Thank you all for your posts. I am new and am hoping that my want for breads will diminish as it has for sweets. It would really help!