PDA

View Full Version : From Vegan to Atkins!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Carol Jean
Tue, Sep-18-12, 15:07
Hello all! Having spent the last year eating Vegan in a successful effort to eliminate arthritis (I read The China Study!), I just came back home to Atkins after gaining 22 pounds! I was the only fat vegan I know! And my energy level was just never the same as before. I had lost 78 pounds on Atkins in 2005 - 2007, and then gained back about 30 pounds by eating sweets again. Arthritis followed and resulted in two knee replacements in 2010 and 2011!

As a student of the Institute for Integrative Nutrition, I was encouraged to understand that no one diet is right for every body. And that nutrition is the only "science" where you can get identical results from completely opposite circumstances. For instance, research shows that you can reverse arthritis, heart disease, diabetes, autoimmune disease and some cancers by eating EITHER a whole-foods, plant-based diet (protein from plants) - OR a whole foods, plant-based diet (protein from animal products).

I've done both now and I know there is a common denominator between those two alternatives that explains how such seemingly opposite nutrition plans can have the same result. The only real difference between the two is the source of protein (meat or no meat). The common denominator in both plans is the elimination of sugar, high fructose corn syrup, and processed foods, all of which are no good for ANY body! And a focus on Omega 3 oils as I found in the new Atkins book.

Basically, my plate still looks the same. 3/4 filled with vegetables and 1/4 filled with a protein source. My only concern now is that I'm not sure enough people are focuing on Atkin's new information about healthy meat (as opposed to factory farmed meat filled with hormones, antibiotics, and steroids). I have found tons of sources for healthy meat - and I've decided to never buy grocery-store meat again. I will not support the factory farm industry with my dollars and I am thrilled that Atkins is on board. Check out some of the many disturbing videos about factory farming for more education about this, such as "The Meatrix."

So - this is kind of an experiment for me. I am confident that my arthritis will not return, that my cholesterol will remain low, that my energy will return, and that I will achieve my goal weight without having to eat beans for the rest of my life. Wahoo!!!! I'm happy to be back.

Nancy LC
Tue, Sep-18-12, 15:25
There's a woman who went toe-to-toe with Campbell on The China Study. She found an awful lot of inaccuracies and loads of cherry picking.

http://rawfoodsos.com/category/china-study/ That's where here collected articles reside.

I think it started with this one: http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/07/07/the-china-study-fact-or-fallac/

I know the China Study is kind of the foundation for a lot of vegans, so their hostility to someone reexamining the data and finding issues with it can be huge, but if you stand to read the writings of someone very articulate and disgustingly brilliant for her young age, it might help put that into perspective.

It is a long read, so set aside a chunk of time or divvy it up into small sessions.

Anyway, welcome to you! I hope you find great health.

The book "Wheat Belly" is another one that might help you out.

becky7474
Wed, Sep-19-12, 07:49
Welcome! :wave: