PDA

View Full Version : Cheesy Greenbean Casserole

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Sharon
Wed, Jan-03-01, 07:32
Here's an idea I got from the Atkin's Friends group, specifically Dottie. I changed the recipe to use the items I had in the frig. This was last night's supper.

2 cans french cut greenbeans - well drained
1 can (4 oz) mushrooms (I used fresh)
1/2 of a med. yellow onion sliced very thin and separated into rings
2 stalks celery, sliced small
2 tbsp butter

1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 cup assorted cheese cut into small dice (cheddar, jack, pepperjack, etc.) (I used a variety of shredded cheeses I had on hand)
1/2 tsp lite salt and 1/4 tsp. regular salt (or 3/4 tsp any)
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder

boneless chicken breasts (I used 5 small ones)

I use boneless chicken breasts to make a one dish casserole by first browning the chicken in a skillet until almost cooked. I put the chicken in the bottom of a casserole dish, and then added the butter to the skillet and sauteed the onions, celery and mushrooms until soft. Mix (everything together) the mayonnaise and cream, s&p, garlic powder, veggies and cheeses and pour over the chicken breasts. Cover and bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes. Uncover and brown if desired.

Serves 4.

You could make the casserole without the chicken and just have a vegetable casserole if you desired. If you don't include the meat, you probably could cook at little less time.

Enjoy...I know we sure did. (I think the warmed up leftovers will taste ever better).

Karen
Wed, Jan-03-01, 12:07
Looks great Sharon. I've done something similar using asparagus instead of green beans.

Why don't you post it in the recipe section too. Some people may look at your recipe and then forget where they it. Putting it in the recipe section will make it easier to find.

Karen

Sharon
Wed, Jan-03-01, 13:39
HI Karen, I can do that also. I guess I always hesitate to submit recipes and other items because I've worked in a job for the last 25 years where the Freedom of Information is such a biggie that we're all paranoid.

I've never been really sure what the copyrights on the internet are. Guess I was going with the recipe idea, not being so formal!!!

I'll submit to the recipe section first chance I get.

Karen
Wed, Jan-03-01, 14:02
Hi Sharon,

If there were copyrights on recipe ideas and recipes, there would probably be only 100 cookbooks in the world and no food magazines. What a sad thought!

It would be different if you took the recipe from a website and plunked it down verbatim, saying that it was your own. That would be stealing. Making modifications to it to suit your own tastes (or what you have in the fridge) makes a whole new recipe.

Karen