PDA

View Full Version : New and hopeful

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

shepheka
Thu, Sep-06-12, 09:46
Hi, I'm new and very hopeful. I've been lurking for some time now and I am blown away by some of the success stories here. My biggest problem is that nobody thinks I have a problem. I have done a good job of maintaining my weight at a tolerable level, but I have never been able to maintain my ideal weight. I want to lose 20 pounds. I've been there, I just can't stay there. My blood pressure, and all of my related numbers are very good so my doctor is happy.
The reason I know that low carb is the way to go for me is because when I eat this way I have no stomach problems at all. I know that wheat is my main trigger, sugar is a close second.
When I eat low carb, induction level, I will lose a bit at first, but unless I go below 1000 calories a day I can't lose. Trust me, I have tried increasing my calories and I always gain, even if I go below 10 grams of carbs a day.
Anyway, I am just looking for some support and some good advice from someone who may be in my same situation. Middle aged, small frame, short, and wanting desperately to feel comfortable in my skin. Thanks!

narmical
Thu, Sep-06-12, 12:38
Welcome! Your defiantly making the right decision.

I'm similar to you in the fact that I only have/had 25 pounds to loose to reach my goal. Some times i feel a bit of an outside which so little to loose.

I do have BP issues, which is what prompted my Dr to suggest weight loss, but all of my friends and family said i looked normal at 175.

I'm not in the same boat of needing to eat very low calorie, but remember, do what works for you and makes you feed good. In your mind, your heart, and your stomach.

This site is a very supportive place, you made a good choice

shepheka
Thu, Sep-06-12, 12:56
Thanks for the response. You sound like you are about the same size and have the same health issue as my husband. He has high blood pressure and he has reduced his weight from 180 to 150. Everyone in his family is on blood pressure medication. He is down to half a pill a day since losing weight.

narmical
Thu, Sep-06-12, 14:08
Good for him! I hope he can be medicine free soon.

brierley
Thu, Sep-06-12, 15:53
i feel the same, i dont have much to lose but just want to feel at my best which is my goal weight. i too dont seem to be losing even tho i only eat about 1300 cal a day, i dont want to have to drop below 1000 haha.looking forward to seeing any good advice you get :) and best of luck too!

shepheka
Thu, Sep-06-12, 21:27
I was just reading about the meat and egg fast. Does it work?

mviesprite
Fri, Sep-07-12, 00:00
Hello and welcome. I don't know about the meat and egg fast - and I am not doing Atkins but I do know the low carb WOE works beautifully and you shouldn't have to count your calories... I'd say have a close look at what you are eating. Do you have the book? Many on here say they really liked the '72 book better.
I am with you on being short, my frame is medium though, and over 40. I have more to lose but want to get to the same weight you do. We can do it. There is so much info here - poke around in journals.
Kat

slmrickman
Sat, Sep-08-12, 13:40
Welcome...................

Elizellen
Sun, Sep-09-12, 05:10
Welcome to the board, shepheka!

The meat and egg fast is not in any of the Atkins books I have read though he did mention a very high fat "fat fast" over a few days for people who had absolutely no loss of inches or pounds after a few weeks of following the plan.

From what I have seen posted on Atkins support boards, most people who do the very limited "fat fast" find that any losses it causes soon disappear once they are back eating to plan again, so it seems a lot of anguish for nothing to me.