PDA

View Full Version : is stress a staller??????

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

sherrybee
Sun, Apr-29-01, 07:31
okay.....here's one for the forum "clinical psychologists".....

IS STREES A STALLER???????????

IS THE THOUGHT OF "I FEEL FAT"GIVE A STALLING EFFECT ON SOME PEOPLE?????????

does anyone think i'm crazy???????......(lol.....don't answer that one)

r.mines
Sun, Apr-29-01, 08:54
Well, I don't think you're crazy (not for asking that question, anyway! :)). I seem to remember reading somewhere....not sure where....that we store fat in times of stress; our bodies don't know the difference between being the threat of, say, changing jobs and a threat to our physical wellbeing (gee, you mean there IS a difference?). Now, as I said, I just READ that 'somewhere,' and I have no ideas if valid studies have ever been done on the subject; I just think it's a sensible question to ask!

And this may be related - I don't know - but in times of stress, I eat more: hence my 2 month stall from December through February - I was overworking and getting used to a new job. If I hadn't been low-carbing, I definitely would have GAINED 5-10 pounds, which has been my pattern in the past.

Next question....how do we get rid of stress?

Rachel

Karen
Sun, Apr-29-01, 10:00
Hmm…

If you tell yourself something often enough, you’ll end up believing it.

When I’m on a roll, I go through a sort of meditative process. I tell myself that I’m releasing fat. Then, I tell myself that I am also releasing the feelings and thoughts that led me to being fat. Then, I say that I am willing to work on myself, on all levels to facilitate that release.

And, I AM crazy! A full-fledged wacko. ;)

Karen

sherrybee
Mon, Apr-30-01, 06:58
thanks guys......i thought it was me........

did a weigh in for month #2 (a little early...will do another weigh in when the month is up!) but the whole month i've had "fat thoughts" and i'm wondering how much that configured in with eating habits......which by the way i had NOT deviated from but i am taking doreen's advice on BEING RID OF THE LOW CARB BARS!!!!!!....i eat one of those a day (when working)and i believe that the stall efect of them are COMPLETELY true, but month #1 i was eating them also and lost 12 lbs.

any other thoughts on this psychosematic phenomena?????......lol:rolleyes:

Karen
Mon, Apr-30-01, 10:26
Hi Sherrybee,

Tha fascinating and frusrating thing about LC is that what worked at one time will not necessarily keep on working. It's a continual learning process.

Einstein's definition of insanity anyone?

Doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results.

So true with LC. Always keeps you on your toes. :eek:

Karen

doreen T
Mon, Apr-30-01, 16:14
hi sherry, and everybody,

I wanted to reply earlier, but this is one of those "deep thought" type questions that I needed to go away and mull over for a time, and not just some off-the-cuff blurb. Not that I'm a psychological expert, unless you consider my decades of emotional angst and turmoil a qualifying factor.... :rolleyes:

Stress has both physical and emotional implications for stalling weight loss efforts. In Carbohydrate Adddict's Healthy for Life, the Drs. Heller explain how stress - even GOOD stress - creates a physiological cascade of events in our bodies, and the release of various hormones such as adrenaline, serotonin, dopamine, among others, all ending with a rise in INSULIN, which is of course, the fat-storing hormone. This is where a sound lowcarb program can be helpful. Keeping blood sugar down, and also the presence of ketones (from fat-burning) helps to moderate the effects of insulin. That being said, constant and/or prolonged stress does take its toll.

Emotionally, stress can be very sneaky. It can lead to cravings and binges .... and sometimes, our behaviours change in ways we may not be consciously aware of at the time. Stress causes me to lose my appetite and I undereat. Result - slowed metabolism, and weight GAIN when I do start eating again. Or some folks may eat too much; they're too stressed and too tired to measure the food, and just sort of stuff it in because they're ravenous. Or somehow, our negative feelings get the better of us, and totally sabotage our best plans and efforts.

The Hellers also state that stress can deplete our chromium stores. Chromium is important for the efficient use of insulin within the cell (efficiently used insulin means less is required, thus no big rise in insulin level). If you are frequently stressed, whether it's a high-demand job, family, whatever, or physical stressors such as smoking, eating a lot of processed foods (including processed lowcarb and Frankenfoods) you might consider taking a chromium supplement. 200 mcg per day. Look for chromium picolinate, nicotinate or at least a chelate form. These are absorbed most completely.

Doreen

sherrybee
Mon, Apr-30-01, 17:22
thanks for the replies!!!!....i doalready take a chromium supplement, i have been in the good habit of taking my daily vitamins along with a fiber supplement....i do have another question since doreen brought it up....

HOW DOES ONE KNOW WHEN THEY ARE OVER OR UNDEREATING??...IS THERE A CERTAIN GUIDELINE TO FOLLOW??

Karen
Mon, Apr-30-01, 17:27
Rule of thumb:

10 to 12 times your weight in calories per day.

Karen

doreen T
Mon, Apr-30-01, 17:35
hi sherry,

Check out a post I wrote a couple of weeks back on this subject .. :)
Click here to read it (http://www.lowcarber.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=16182#post16182).

hope this helps, Doreen

gypsy729
Sat, Jun-30-01, 10:51
Hello, everyone!

I am new here. This is so exciting for me. Finally finding somewhere I can go for support is so encouraging!

I've been reading a lot about stress lately. I can't remember who posted the reply with all the endocrinological info, but she was exactly right. Stress causes the adrenals to secrete cortisol which in turn causes the whole hormonal cascade (including insulin). Chronic stress is the worst, because chronically elevated cortisol wreaks havoc (abdominal weight gain, elevated blood pressure, etc.) on the body. The best solution is exercise. Exercise causes the cortisol to be taken up by the muscles (part of the fight or flght response) so it can't swim around causing damage everywhere. So after all that blah blah blah, yes, most definitely stress could cause your weight loss to stall without even a change in how you eat!

Don't give up though! Try adding a little more exercise on a daily basis (even if it is just 10 minutes) especially when you feel stressed (for me this is after my commute home in the afternoon!). Put that cortisol to use! You could also try relaxation techniques (yoga, meditation, etc.)

Good luck and good health!

tamarian
Sat, Jun-30-01, 10:53
Hi Gypsy,

Welcome to our forum :)

Wa'il

Karen
Sat, Jun-30-01, 13:27
Welcome to the board gypsy!

Great response to the stress question.

Karen

gypsy729
Sat, Jun-30-01, 13:32
Thank you for the warm welcome you guys!

I'll be back often.:cool: