PDA

View Full Version : anyone taking cytomel????

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

gemgirl
Wed, May-15-02, 10:54
was prescribed cytomel yesterday---all i've read about it has me excited. (i have had undiagnosed thyroid prob for 4+years) i just wondered if anyone eles has had success on it???? :spin: :spin: :spin: :spin:

CONILUV
Thu, Mar-18-04, 15:17
Gemgirl,
I begged for and got Cytomel RX today. I have been on Synthroid for years and can't lose any weight, just gain. I have the Wilson's syndrome (low body temp about 97 degrees).
I hope someone responds or we will just have to share our results.
I am supposed to take 25mg twice a day. What dosage are you taking?

summer7gal
Fri, Mar-19-04, 16:13
I am on synthyroid .175mg and I take about 12.5mg of cytomel. So far I haven't noticed any changes but then again...it is my time of the month so I think I will have to wait until that is over before I can weigh myself to see if there has been any progress. :) Good luck guys.

summer7gal
Sat, Mar-27-04, 15:36
Just updating everyone on my adventure with Cytomel. :) I am starting to really notice a change! I went back to eating normally (but healthy) and I slowly started to see a change in my weight. My clothes fit looser and I haven't been dieting! A relative borrowed my scale so I don't know how much I weigh at the moment. Last time I checked though I had gone back down to 145. (My goal is 135). I think my metabolism might just be reving back up. I am going to try to by a thermometer to check for sure. I hope that I will loose the extra 10 pounds. I plan to get my but in gear and increase my activity to see if that speeds things up. I feel good though. Definitly less bloated. For a year it felt like my stomach was puffed out a bit. Now it's gone down to something more normal. :)

Anyone else having success?

CONILUV
Sun, Mar-28-04, 06:25
Hi Gem girl,
Thanks for letting me know your progress on Cytomel. I have mail order prescriptions and my medications havent arrived yet but your words are encouraging. Is Cytomel the only medication you are taking. We will have to keep each other posted about our success. Are you feeling good as well.
I wish you continued success.
Connie in North Carolina

CONILUV
Sun, Mar-28-04, 06:26
Summergal,
Please keep me posted as to your success with Cytomel.
Thanks,
Connie

CONILUV
Fri, Apr-09-04, 03:01
Gemgirl and Summergal,
Just a brief update. I have been taking the Cytomel for 5 days and have lost 2 lbs. My doctor changed me from Synthroid to Cytomel. (didn't want to add it for some reason). Anyway, I had some Synthroid left, SO, I cut the 100mg Synthroid in half and I take 12.5 mg Cytomel with it in the am and another 12.5 mg CYTOMEL in the evening. I do feel a little jittery about an hour after I take the CYTOMEL, but it lessens each day. I am not sure how I will feel when the SYNTHROID runs out. I am thrilled with the weight loss as I was in a major stall.

Am anxious to hear from both of you. HAPPY EASTER

fendel
Fri, Apr-09-04, 21:58
I went on Cytomel over a year ago--I'm on medication for depression, and my depressive symptoms were starting to emerge again; I also had trouble losing weight and was basically seeing hypothyroid symptoms despite having a TSH of about 2. I found an article about T3 and depression and felt it was worth a shot, so I went to my doctor and made a case for it...

I feel much better on Cytomel than I did before. Whether it helps my weight loss, it's hard to say--my diet has changed so much back and forth. But I have a lot more energy and feel happier, which helps.

I take 12.5 mcg twice a day along with 0.125 mg of Levoxyl (generic levothyroxine). At this point my free T3 is on the high end of normal and free T4 is on the low end of normal--TSH is undetectable--and my doctor says as long as I'm feeling good that's OK.

CONILUV
Sat, Apr-10-04, 08:42
Does ANYONE take CYTOMEL without Synthroid?

bon125
Tue, Apr-27-04, 21:01
I had my thyroid removed Feb 2003. On 150 MCG synthroid. My doc told me I was eating too much. TSH was .8 which is good except they never did my T3. I changed docs. My new one kept the synthroid (same dose) and added 25 mcg cytomel (T3 was 99) After one month of no loss, I've lost 4 lb in 8 days...Plus..I feel like a different person, not so tired and crabby all the time.

annieMav
Tue, Jul-20-04, 21:56
I have taken the Sythetic T3 before with great results, had to stop taking due to a move and no doctor knows anything about it in my area. I finally started taking the T3 again and lost 24lbs, my skin is not longer like an alagator, normally not exhusted for not reason (only exhausted for working, going to school, working out in the gym and keeping a house). :lol: I find it quite refreshing to find a place to be able to compare notes with others.

CONILUV i only take the T3 no other thyroid meds. How did you the doctor finally figure out you had Willson's Syndrome? My doctor told me the same thing over 4 years ago. Told the new doc that and she looked at me like i was speaking in a foreign language.

annieMav

Renee'
Sun, Aug-01-04, 14:36
Coniluv, where did you get your cytomel? I'm on Armour thyroid, and it isn't doing much good. I'm going to be seeing a new endo who ONLY uses T3 with his patients, but it is going to take a couple of months to get into see him. His nurse said, since I'm healthy otherwise, and used to my hypothyroid meds, to just start with 5 mcg's and work up to my comfort level. But I'm not sure where to get them on the net. Because of my insurance coverage (grrrr) I have ordered my Armour on the net with my doctor's blessing. I'm not a newbie when it comes to thyroid stuff, just a newbie with lo carb stuff, LOL.

Thanks!!!
Renee'

tla
Tue, Aug-03-04, 14:46
I have been on cytomel for four weeks. The only difference I have seen is that I seem to be grumpy a lot. I just found out that I have Hashimoto disease. I take four 25mcg of Cytomel a day along with one .1mcg levothyroine. I am currently in Germany and cant really find alot of info on this medication or on my condition. If anyone has any info I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks :q: