PDA

View Full Version : In Need of a Motivation Reboot!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

allie58
Fri, Aug-17-12, 00:36
Well Hello Everyone

This is my first time on this site. I actually came here on a link from another Low carb site which one of my fine friends posted to direct me to some awesome success stories in an attempt to inspire and reboot my motivation as I seem to be stuck.

I started low carbing in January and have lost about 45lbs but it would appear that I have reached that point where I don't seem to care anymore even though I still would like to lose another 80 or so pounds. I still have a long road ahead and have been at this place many times before. Despite swearing I would never happen again......here I am. All my nasty excuse filled, self indulgent behaviors have returned and I am treating myself as a garbage can once again. I have accepted the fact that this is a way of eating for me and not a diet. My brain knows that it really is the best way for me to eat.....the only way for me to eat and yet......for the past 6 weeks I have been out of control GRRRRR I am the master of me but apparently not my mouth!
Anyways, I am looking forward to reading up on how others here have gotten themselves back on track. I have learned that there is great power in numbers and much stregnth to be drawn from the trials and the successes of others.
Thank you all for sharing with those of us struggling :-)

WereBear
Fri, Aug-17-12, 04:15
My brain knows that it really is the best way for me to eat.....the only way for me to eat and yet......for the past 6 weeks I have been out of control GRRRRR I am the master of me but apparently not my mouth!

Hello allie58!

It sounds like you have plenty of motivation: as in, you want to lose the weight, you know how to low carb, you've had some success. Perhaps what you are lacking is trust.

In my experience, the number one reason for people bailing before they get to the end is not enough trust that this is what will work for them. They are being asked to give up the food that works emotionally, but not physically, and they often need fast weight loss to reassure themselves that the new way of eating works. When weight loss slows down, as it always does, doubt creeps in.

Also, we know it works for us physically, but we are not getting the same coping/soothing feedback we are used to with treats. We need to find other ways of handling emotional stress; ways that will not pack on the pounds and threaten our health.

Just some "food" for thought!

bkloots
Fri, Aug-17-12, 06:20
WereBear is wise.

You achieved so much in a short time. I know how easy it is to sit back and stop caring. I'm in recovery right now.

From historic experience in the weight management challenge, I've learned that I have to "work up to" returning to the plan that I KNOW is good for me. One day, somehow, the switch flips. But until then, the only technique I can latch onto is daily a** kicking. And, oh, also staring at the row of pants in my closet I can't squeeze into. Have you got any of those? Can you toss some of the fat clothes you have now? No alternative but to keep sizing down?

It takes time--years--to reach the conviction that your "diet" is a lifestyle, not a temporary solution. Even those of us who have achieved years of maintenance can have appalling lapses.

The encouraging thing is, there's always hope. There's always success possible. Keep telling yourself every day that you want it.

Best wishes.

BlueDress
Fri, Aug-24-12, 09:51
I think this is my 4th or 5th time low carbing. I've struggled with trying to control my WOE and I know it also spills over into other area's of my life as well. But I truly feel THIS is it for me. I feel something I had never felt before - and as best as I can describe it, it's a sort of quiet, peaceful acceptance that I can not eat what "others" eat because it causes utter and complete destruction to my body. I'm not ashamed of my self, nor do I feel sorry for myself that I won't ever eat another cookie or bag of chips or white bread. I'm also not trying to desperately find a way to replace these foods into LC versions. This is a WOL and not a how-can-i-best-manuipluate-this-to-eat-what-i-have-always-eaten-without-being-out-of-control WOL. Because for some of us, that doesn't exist. It simply is what it is.

We all have issues in life, we are all different, but I think what some of us (but not all!) low carbers have in common is that we are, simply put - carb addicts. I believe that's why we keep gravitating back to LC. Deep down we know this is how we should live & eat. Then it's just a matter of fully accepting and being ok with that. We must ignore what society deems as 'normal/crappy/in moderation foods'. It's similar to people who are alcholic's. Some people can handle alcohol and some people were not born to. I believe it's both nature & nurture that determines it. Nothing at all to be ashamed of, but something to just accept and move on so we can enjoy our lives and not beat ourselves down. Anyway...I wish you the best! If you ever want to talk or chat, come visit my jjournal or pm me.

Sincerely,
Currently sober & off the high carb roller coaster

PS Maybe you're not a carb addict, I don't really know! :) But I just wanted to share in case you are in the same boat I'm in. I just wanted to say, 'You're not alone. You're not crazy."

Nancy LC
Fri, Aug-24-12, 10:00
Congrats on your successes so far.

Sometimes reading a book is a great way to get reinspired.

I recommend this one: The Art and Science of Low Carb (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_14?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=the%20art%20and%20science%20of%20low%20carbohydrate%20living).

joylorene
Fri, Aug-24-12, 10:51
My down fall is always - i'll start again tomorrow - well tomorrow never comes - so I've finally figured after "goofing" off for the past 6 months that yes I have lost weight but then I gain it back again on the weekends so I really am going no where and I'm like a rat on a wheel.

I've finally realized that 6 months of "dieting" has gotten me no where following the - i'll start tomorrow mind set and that the days will come and go and I can either be stuck on that wheel or actually gettting to my goal.

You know this works and really whether you decide to finally get to your destination health/weight or stay on the wheel is up to you but I'm sick of the wheel and hiding under my huge clothes!

You can do this!!!

bmore4now
Fri, Aug-24-12, 11:57
I can't add much because I'm restarting myself but, if you're a praying person:

1. Pray that God delivers your from this unhealthy hold that restricts you form being healthy and happy
2. Pray that God moves things in your life to give you the time and energy to plan your menu and get moving again
3. Pray the God will trust you to carry out his will for your life
4. Walk/Exercise/Eat and be Thankful that you made the right choice meal by meal and step by step.

You know this is what you want and you have to PAY IN ADVANCE for the rewards later. Slimmer you, better clothing options, better health, better mobility. There are so many rewards versus the short term reward (eating high carb foods), you will be paying later (bad health, swollen ankles, slow mobility, depression, etc.). The scale is not balanced.

You decide what you want for you and make the change. It's not easy getting a degree, going to the gym, accomplishing goals, staying debt free, etc. It takes work! The same with our WOL. It takes work to have such a wonderful ending of freedom. Control over your body!

J-POW
Sat, Aug-25-12, 12:38
Hello, im new to this website. lots of good posts here! lots of ideas!

i think maybe you could try to find a diet buddy...and if you feel like cheating call each other and go for a walk. ive been chewing sugarfree gum, and its help put some flavor in my mouth! i just bought some sugarfree werthers, and one or two a day is my treat! i know that fruit is not allowed in induction i think?- - but once or twice a week i have made myself a smoothie, i used 1/4 banana, 2 tbs heavy cream, 5 frozen strawberrys, 1 tbsp vanilla, 1 cup soy milk. and that has been my treat, i make sure to have it early i the day, so i know i will walk that off. good luck and if you ever want to chat, just add me!!

everyone gave great advice, and i picked up a few tools just reading! thanks!