PDA

View Full Version : New again, and baby-bound

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

fenella
Fri, Aug-03-12, 07:49
I had success with Protein Power about 8 years ago and got to within 10 lb. of my goal weight. However, after a failed engagement (I ended up breaking it off), I packed it all back on and then some. Well, I met a wonderful man and got married a couple of weeks ago (YAY!). However, I've seen some pictures from the wedding...ick. The day you are supposed to feel your most beautiful, and I hate looking at the pictures. Very sad, because it was a wonderful day. I'll get over it, but I was immediately angry with myself that I didn't lose the weight before the wedding. I had been in denial. Looking in the mirror, I didn't think I looked THAT bad, but Woah! The pictures tell a different story. Both my DH and I have weight to lose, and I think we both got comfortable with one another's bad eating habits (READ: too much pizza ordering)
So, that is the kick-in-the-butt that got me thinking I need to change. However, it is not really about appearance this time. Yes, I want to change that, too, but my DH and I are talking about starting a family next year. There is nothing more important to me than having children, and I don't have lots of time to mess around (in my mid-30s). I need to be healthy for myself and for my future children. I've read a lot lately about fertility issues from being overweight or obese. I know that if I don't get my eating under control, I could be setting up my child for a lifelong weight struggle. Scary articles about the effect of too many carbs on a developing fetus and setting them up for issues. This time, it is not about fitting into a dress or looking good in my summer swimsuit---goals that have been too easy for me to blow off. I hope that the goals I have now, the most important goals of all, are enough to keep me on track. So, it is out with the carbage and in with nutritious foods. I am a realist. I will have slips, but I need to do this, and it isn't just for me this time. After my lifelong struggle, I realize the greatest gift I can give my future children is their health, modeling good eating habits, and a healthy mom!

TrishkaD
Fri, Aug-03-12, 07:58
Welcome. You will find a world of support here!

Nancy LC
Fri, Aug-03-12, 08:28
Good for you for figuring out that you need to limit carbs for your kiddo to be healthy! Lots of people use their pregnancy as an excuse to eat all they want of whatever they want.

slmrickman
Fri, Aug-03-12, 12:10
Welcome...........

RuthannP
Fri, Aug-03-12, 13:56
Weight loss is easier when your spouse is dieting, too. So far this calendar year, I have lost 37 pounds and my husband has lost 42.

Good luck to you. I know you'll do well because you have all of the right reasons to lose weight.

fenella
Fri, Aug-03-12, 21:46
Unfortunately, DH is not on-board. He isn't dieting, and though he means well, brought pizza home for dinner tonight. He said, "I know this isn't on your plan, but I knew you'd be hungry." I was starving, having just come in from class.

To make things worse, someone in class brought cupcakes to celebrate me getting married. She handed me the box and said, "Here, try one. I made them chocolate for you since it's your favorite." Well, I would have felt kinda jerky not eating one (they didn't know about the eating plan yet). So, I was REALLY bad and caved on the pizza since my carb cravings were in overdrive.
So, 2 bad items. BUT, I am right back on-track tomorrow. I have learned that this is a journey, and there will be slips along the way. It isn't that I slip, it is that I get back up!