PDA

View Full Version : Saskatchewan newbie!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

mrsslice
Fri, Jul-20-12, 12:07
Hi everyone,

I stumbled upon this site when looking for some low-carb recipes and I can say I am a daily visitor! I haven't posted yet but I'm excited to get some tips and talk with people who are going through the same struggle as me.

I am currently on Atkins after hearing about it from a friend. May 18, 2012 was the first day of my new life that is dedicated to doing what's best for me. As of that date I weighed 247 lbs, the heaviest I have ever been. Today on July 20, 2012 I am proud to say after sticking to the Induction phase fairly strictly I have lost a total of 28.6 lbs. I'm happier, and feel so good. The best part is there is no where to go but down (in a good way!).

If anyone has any tips for a small town Saskatchewan girl trying to do low-carb with limited grocery options I am all ears! I have found a blog with low carb recipes that is amazing. http://peaceloveandlowcarb.blogspot.ca/
The author of that blog also introduced me to netrition.com which I am waiting for my first purchase of Carb-Quik! I am not sure yet if/how I will use it but I need some options and some creativity to continue this journey.

I look forward to hearing from you!

freckles
Fri, Jul-20-12, 14:34
Hi and welcome! Glad you found us!

Honestly, the only thing I don't love about Peace, Love, and Low Carb blog is the fact that she uses Carb Quick in some of her recipes. Hopefully it will work for you as it has for her, but I just can't tolerate any wheat in my diet at all as it causes me to crave more and more. So when she posts new recipes and I get all excited about the picture I'm disappointed when that's one of the ingredients. She does have a LOT of recipes that don't use it, though. Two of my faves are the chicken club avocado boats and the chicken dijon with mushrooms and artichokes (I leave out the artichokes and replace the cream with coconut milk).

Have you looked at the recipe forums here? Also be sure to check out Linda's Low Carb (http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/) for more great recipes.

Anyway, glad you found us and CONGRATULATIONS on the wonderful progress you have already made!!! :thup:

slmrickman
Fri, Jul-20-12, 16:05
Welcome and congrats on your great start

becky7474
Sat, Jul-21-12, 07:12
Welcome! :wave:

Lois55
Sat, Jul-21-12, 08:08
Hello and welcome mrsslice!! :wave: It's so nice to find a fellow Saskatchewan Low Carber!

You will find an abundance of really good advice and folks experimenting on themselves to find what works for them as an individual. I started with Atkins (A New Atkins for a New You) in January of 2011. I had a lot of success with it but being post menopausal, I found I had to go back to the original Atkins recommendations for carbs later in my journey, and even lower still when I got 10 pounds from goal.

The journals can be a really great source of info and you can check out mine here if you like:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?p=8608314#post8608314

I wish you much success on your journey and please, ask lots of questions as that's how we all learn.