PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from Kentucky

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

AllenLou
Thu, Jul-05-12, 20:56
Hi all,

I found these forums a few weeks ago after reading Gary Taubes book Why We Get Fat and looking for more information. The people on here have a great attitude and seem really friendly and open to help which is why I decided to join.

My background, I was big as a kid but in HS found football and got it under control, maintained about 220lbs until I was about 25 when my wife (then girlfriend) reintroduced me to cookies as a sweet gesture. It wasn't bad when I worked in a factory walking 11 miles per day, but then I went back to college, got my degree and now work in a cube. Since then I've blown up to almost 290. What shocks me so much is that this is the weight one of my good friends was when I met him years ago, now he's having major issues and weighing in at almost 390. Seeing my future if I don't change really gives clarity. back in the first week of April I completely gave up softdrinks and teas and only occasionally have kool-aid. After having read Why We Get Fat, I realize now is the time to give up carbs and so I've decided to go Atkins (primarily because it's the biggest most common of the low carb diets). I'm currently in the research stage, still reading the books, learning how to think of things and ultimately, preparing the kitchen for induction.

I'm really looking forward to starting the diet next Friday (time to finish the book and I'll go through the worst of the induction flu on a weekend) and change the way things go. The thing I'm most looking forward to is being able to mountain bike with my friends. Last time I went I was so winded I almost passed out on the trail a couple hours in, took a gu-pak with a monster dose of carbs and sugar to get me on my feet. I look forward to taking the ride without the gu and really returning to my HS energy and ability.

Since I'm a newbie, I have to ask lots of questions, and I'm sure I have questions I don't even know I have yet so feel free to point things out to me if you see a mistake coming.

Also, do any of you use menu planning software to pick meals and plan your grocery trips? I've never eaten food like this before and I'm really not sure how to plan a grocery trip when I don't know the recipes very well. Seems it'd be easier if I could dial in the menus for the week and have it spit out a shopping list. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, and I'm really looking forward to this!

becky7474
Fri, Jul-06-12, 06:54
Welcome! :wave:
I think there is a sticky about grocery shopping here on the forum, if not, there should be plenty of info in the book.

BlueDress
Sun, Jul-08-12, 00:33
Hi! I think it's a great that you're doing your homework. This is probably my 5th time on Atkins, and my last since I've come to realize this is it for me. I never want my lips to touch sugar or white flour again. It seems insane in the world we live in but really we can do and live anyway we want. :)

I used to make menu plans for the entire week and shop off that. But I would do it old school - paper & pen. As for recipes, there's a lot on the forum, different websites, books. Just find what you think will work for you on induction, with preferences and prepping taken into account.

Oh, and having a journal on here is really helpful. Can't wait to hear about your successes!