PDA

View Full Version : had thyroid out on 5/10..questions

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

starr
Mon, May-13-02, 10:17
i am back to work but very tired.....i am reading everybody's threads and i am so upset that i may not be able to lose more weight. i have been doing really well.
i have not started on meds. yet i go back tomorrow, so i imagine that the dr. will give them to me then.
any positive info? please let me know

mbschlgr
Tue, May-14-02, 12:59
I too have Thyroid disease.

But,, with lo carbing and my synthroid, las year I lost 40lbs.

I fell of the wagon a few months ago, but, ad back in the saddle again today after bingeing. I've slowly gained back 10 lbs and I really feel it.

You can do it!!! :wave:

watermark
Tue, May-14-02, 23:16
Starr,

I'm new to this site, but wanted to send a note of encouragement to you. I had a thyroidectomy on July 6, 2001. I'm just starting the Atkins Diet this week, so I'm hoping I can lose the weight I gained long before my surgery and the 20 pounds I've gained since the surgery. I have finally gotten my thyroid levels under control by being on Levoxyl *and* Cytomel, so ask your doc about that too.

Anyway, hang in there. I went back to work the week after my surgery and felt great right away. My scar looks great and most people don't even notice it unless I point it out.

Good luck to you.

doreen T
Wed, May-15-02, 09:21
hi starr,

Hope all is going well, and you're recovering from the surgery. Hang in there.

I've found that the Thyroid Disease site at about.com, hosted by Mary Shomon, is excellent. You might want to check out the section on Thyroid Surgery/ Cancer (http://thyroid.about.com/cs/surgerycancer/) ... as well, the Thyroid Basics (http://thyroid.about.com/cs/basics_starthere/) section .. which explains in detail the functions of the thyroid, and what happens in your body when you have too little or too much thyroid hormone.

Low-carb diet is recommended for persons who are hypothyroid, whether or not weight loss is a concern. Low-carbing will keep insulin and blood sugar under control, and you'll be less likely to experience hypoglycemic swings.

Doreen