PDA

View Full Version : Cream is impossible to find!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

keith v
Wed, Jun-13-12, 18:06
well at my one grocery store anyway.
The best they have is 'whipping cream" by our lovely drug pushing mass food distributors

It does have cream, but also milk, gar gum and some other crap.

I was livid, no real cream? Really?

I even cornered the dairy guy...
"I've been doing this for 35 years, no one sells 100% cream"

OMG I hate big Food manufacturers
Ahhhhhhhh

LilyB
Wed, Jun-13-12, 18:56
I'd love to buy raw milk and REAL cream, but in my state it is ILLEGAL. So... I buy the best I can find, wherever that is...

*Sigh*

keith v
Wed, Jun-13-12, 19:41
well I did find these guys
Looks like the nearby co op should carry their stuff.

http://www.cedarsummit.com/product/dairy/

SylvieK
Wed, Jun-13-12, 20:33
I sympathize, when I lived in WI, the state famous for cheese and dairy, it was impossible to find real cream anywhere in the city I lived in.

I tried every supermarket and there was NO brand that didn't have carageenan or other additives anywhere. Supposedly Organic Valley has a version of cream without additives but no one carried it.

I suggest looking for a local dairy and seeing if they can deliver to you. Try plugging your zip code into the Local Harvest website and see what comes up; then contact the dairies/farmers directly to see what they offer (and often you may be able to find them at farmers' markets).

http://www.localharvest.org/

You may also find sources on the Eat Wild site.

Pinot-Girl
Thu, Jun-14-12, 08:11
Oh my, I've just seen my cream which I've been buying has that Carageem stuff in it too....

Must go and hunt for a more natural one. Who thought - seaweed in a dairly product? YUK!

PG.

keith v
Thu, Jun-14-12, 08:25
OH so I forgot to mention.
When I was talking to the dairy guy, I made the mistake of saying I wanted 100% real cream because I was trying to eat healthier....

"Oh" he says, "we have fat free creamer right here......"

(where's that picture of the grey cat with his face in his paws like hes embarrassed for the guy?)

Elizellen
Thu, Jun-14-12, 10:26
(where's that picture of the grey cat with his face in his paws like hes embarrassed for the guy?)
I like this one

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-u1XNp7iuUQk/TvcItl6zGRI/AAAAAAAAB5E/OU2hsLxSLbs/s1600/facepalm+cat.jpg

Merpig
Sat, Jun-16-12, 09:30
Oh my, I've just seen my cream which I've been buying has that Carageem stuff in it too....Must go and hunt for a more natural one. Who thought - seaweed in a dairly product? YUK! I don't know where you live. When I lived in NJ I found "pure" heavy cream at Trader Joe's - but now there is no Trader Joe's within 4-5 hours of me! Whole Foods *sometimes* carries pure cream, but they don't alway have it in stock when I go there!

keith v
Sat, Jun-16-12, 12:23
I found 3 different kinds at the local co op.
It's not the best co op, most is over priced version of the same factory food found in the big chains.
but I found cream that only had one ingredient! Whoooo!

So I tasted the 'cream' with the chemicals vs the real cream.
Who, ever, ever, would think the factory stuff tastes anything like the real cream??

Ugh, unbelieveable, yuck

qudoz
Sun, Jun-17-12, 03:22
Wow, I'm guessing it must be just hard to get in the US? I've never heard of cream that isn't 100% cream. Well, I know of one brand but it's labelled as a cream alternative (and has crap in it).

That sucks.

Kirsteen
Sun, Jun-17-12, 03:49
Wow! You have my sympathy. I cannot stand margarine or fake cream made from oil - they are truly disgusting. I always think that Atkins dieters have an easy ride here in the UK as our foods do not generally have added sugar and we can still buy unadulterated pure substances, such as live, unsweetened natural yoghurt, fresh, unsweetened cream, 100% beef burgers, high meat content sausages and even ready meals which are ideal for low-carbing.

WagsMarie
Sun, Jun-17-12, 05:20
Really? You guys can't find heavy whipping cream? Even half and half? I'm certainly not in a very progressive city and it's everywhere.

You could always do like the Swede's do: butter in coffee.

qudoz
Sun, Jun-17-12, 05:52
Wow! You have my sympathy. I cannot stand margarine or fake cream made from oil - they are truly disgusting. I always think that Atkins dieters have an easy ride here in the UK as our foods do not generally have added sugar and we can still buy unadulterated pure substances, such as live, unsweetened natural yoghurt, fresh, unsweetened cream, 100% beef burgers, high meat content sausages and even ready meals which are ideal for low-carbing.
It is good here though I just looked at a pack of cheddar cheese I have that's flavoured with chilli and it has SUGAR in it! Unbelievable.

Really? You guys can't find heavy whipping cream? Even half and half? I'm certainly not in a very progressive city and it's everywhere.

You could always do like the Swede's do: butter in coffee.

Seriously? They mad. :lol:

peryn
Sun, Jun-17-12, 07:46
Whole Foods- their 365 brand is just cream!

ICDogg
Sun, Jun-17-12, 08:55
I hate to sound like a running advertisement for Trader Joe's but their heavy whipping cream is just cream.

WagsMarie
Sun, Jun-17-12, 09:02
Target has it by the quart.

Elizellen
Sun, Jun-17-12, 10:21
You could always do like the Swede's do: butter in coffee.Seriously? They mad. :lol:
The Tibetans traditionally put butter in tea!! ;)

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Butter_tea

You would need to use cream in place of the milk if on Atkins induction, but I was told it tastes OK

Merpig
Sun, Jun-17-12, 18:23
Target has it by the quart. Does it have a brand-name? There is a Target near me, but I have never seen any heavy cream there other than the usual suspects which all contain additives.

Merpig
Sun, Jun-17-12, 18:26
butter in coffee.

Seriously? They mad. :lol: Bulletproof coffee:
http://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-make-your-coffee-bulletproof-and-your-morning-too/

Surprisingly tasty when you use a stick blender to whip it up into a froth!

WagsMarie
Sun, Jun-17-12, 18:52
Does it have a brand-name? There is a Target near me, but I have never seen any heavy cream there other than the usual suspects which all contain additives.

I just went into the kitchen and checked and yes, it has carageenan! My bad. But- all additives are less than 1%. Considering that my mouth has been a garbage disposal for most of my life, I'm not going to stress.

garydogwoo
Tue, Jun-19-12, 20:57
i found some (and bought a jar) at costco today. had some with 3 strawberrys this evening (i'm in OWL); it was heavenly.
gw

LorS
Tue, Jun-19-12, 21:09
I buy organic valley cream. No carbs, and no additives of any kind. Not sure if they offer this in all states. I buy it at our local coop.

LorS
Tue, Jun-19-12, 21:13
I buy organic valley cream. No carbs, and no additives of any kind. Not sure if they offer this in all states. I buy it at our local coop.
http://www.organicvalley.coop/

Whofan
Wed, Jun-20-12, 07:32

Hi Kirsteen: Slightly off topic but this caught my eye. When I moved to the US from London in the 1980s one of the things I missed most were "bangers" (bangers and mash....yum). The sausages here were just too meaty for my taste. Back then I was told that British "sausages" could not be imported into the US because they contained too much non-meat filler to be classified as sausages. But they were so tasty. Of course, I wouldn't want them now - they were probably stuffed with grains. I wonder what your high meat content sausages taste like and do they still sell the other, less meaty, kind?

Merpig
Thu, Jun-21-12, 15:22
http://www.organicvalley.coop/ I buy Organic Valley pasture-raised organic heavy cream, but it DOES contain carrageenan. And of course all heavy cream has carbs, roughly 6g per cup.

Weird though, as my Organic Valley carton looks identical to the cartons shown on that website above, but the ingredients absolutely shows carrageenan.

EDIT: I went to the Organic Valley webpage as I was bugged about this, and it says there that it does add carrageenan to its heavy whipping cream, as well as its chocolate milk and egg nog. But it also says this:

Eggnog: Carrageenan will be removed for the 2012 eggnog season...
Chocolate Milk and Heavy Whipping Cream: Currently reformulating in order
to find an acceptable carrageenan substitute. Pilot trial runs which are happening this year.

See http://www.organicvalley.coop/fileadmin/pdf/OVweb_ingred_chart.pdf for the various additives they use with their different products.

howlovely
Fri, Jun-22-12, 08:02
One thing I love about living in Berlin: all grocery stores (even the very smallest) sell pure cream, and it costs around 40 cents.

Why is stuff like that so hard to find and expensive in the US?

keith v
Fri, Jun-22-12, 09:09
well I finally got around to using the cream I did find to make creamy Blue cheese dressing

WOW
So that's what food tastes like??
it's SOOOO good

and has none of that MSG 'tang' that is in everything

I'm hooked:D

USA is the land of processed food.
It all has to have some chemical or thew other in it.
Funny thing is, when I mention it to most people, they assume it has to be there to be edible
besids it's everywhere, why should they be bothered by it??