PDA

View Full Version : Leg cramps

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

WagsMarie
Wed, Jun-13-12, 06:11
Yowza! Flew out of bed about ten times last night due to my calves cramping up. This has happened before of late. Any idea why? I think I am well hydrated. I'm 8-10 weeks in ketosis. Haven't been doing any new leg exercise.

Thanks!

sondora88
Wed, Jun-13-12, 06:26
You might be low in some nutrients, try taking some chelated magnesium, that got rid of my leg cramps for me. :)

leemack
Wed, Jun-13-12, 07:24
Also take some potassium, or get some lo salt to put on food.

Lee

pd42
Wed, Jun-13-12, 08:04
I have had this happen before and I think it was due to potassium being out of whack. I ate a can of tuna (with mayo of course) and that cleared it right up.

askwhy456
Wed, Jun-13-12, 08:40
I agree with the above posters about taking potassium and magnesium. I take them together when I have night cramps. I give them to my sons as well as they get leg cramps during their growth spurts.

I know that you are in ketosis so you haven't gone off plan so it isn't this but if my carbs get too high (or I have a dinner 'off plan') I will have terrible foot cramps several times that night. I rarely have them on plan which is strange I know....

Mandra
Wed, Jun-13-12, 08:53
I agree that potassium is a possibility. When I had the problem, I increased my consumption of pork, lamb, broccoli and cauliflower and that seemed to make it go away.

mike_d
Wed, Jun-13-12, 11:08
The so called 'lite salt substitute' is potassium chloride salt. It's in my shaker -- I also take the 'magnesium oil' MgCl. I found ACV or pickle juice also helps with cramps in hot weather and avoid excessive alcohol :lol:

Whofan
Wed, Jun-13-12, 12:32
This topic has come up several times on the forum. Somebody recommended SloMag and I find that's working for me (2 tablets a day).