PDA

View Full Version : My Summer Reading List!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Babette R
Tue, May-29-12, 19:59
Amazon LOVES me tonight! I just placed my order for the following books:

Trick And Treat - how 'healthy eating' is making us ill - Barry Groves

100 Days of Weight Loss: The Secret to Being Successful on Any Diet Plan - Linda Spangle

Living Low Carb: Controlled-Carbohydrate Eating for Long-Term Weight Loss - Jonny Bowden PhD

Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health - William Davis

Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution: The Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars - Richard K. Bernstein

Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It - Gary Taubes

The only problem??? Which do I read first???? I can't wait for them to get here!!!

ferrygirl
Tue, May-29-12, 20:11
That's exciting! Enjoy your treats! I haven't heard of some of those - will have to check them out.

freckles
Tue, May-29-12, 20:44
I am about to finish Wheat Belly. It's a GREAT book! I will probably try to read it again this summer, as I had some questions come up in the reading, but didn't write them down.

Next on my list is Primal Blueprint and I also want to read Why We Get Fat very soon. The other books on my "want" list are lc cookbooks.

I also really need to get back to reading/working through Staying Lean for Life: An Innovative 8-Week Program of Winning Stratagies for Lifetime Maintenance by Cynthia Stamper Graff (thanks, Demi!) and I need to re-read Primal Blueprint Fitness (a free download from Mark's Daily Apple (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/subscribe-to-blog/#axzz1wJhKSDPH) and get started putting it to use.

Thanks for your excitement about reading lc sources ~ it's infectious! :D

Solidadund
Tue, May-29-12, 20:47
I would go for, "Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It "- Gary Taubes. It is a fabulous book and a good read.

kayekaye12
Tue, May-29-12, 21:39
I read "Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health" - William Davis. Really liked it. Hope you do too. I also recommend "The Vegetarian Myth" - Lierre Keith. I've never been a vegetarian but it was fascinating to read.

Babette R
Tue, May-29-12, 22:52
Ferrygirl - Thanks!! I can't wait to read them and will def. report back!!

Freckles - Girl!! Now I have to add that to my wish list!! Will have to wait until next month for another book order! lol Thanks for that link, will check it out!! Oh, I L.O.V.E. to read and learn ... plus, I really like having answsers if anyone asks me about this way of life ... otherwise, I may not be taken seriously! lol

Solidadund - Thanks for the recommendation ... I'm starting to think it's going to be hard to just stick to ONE book! lol

Kayekaye - Oh boy - adding more books to the "wish list" - thanks for recommendations!!

lterry913
Fri, Jun-01-12, 08:51
I agree with post above to read Why We Get Fat first. It is a good starting point...follow that with the book about which ever way of eating you are on(Atkins I see...good choice) and then Wheat Belly...these books will keep you busy and keep your mind off food too...I find reading to be a great appetite suppressant...unless I am reading recipes...lol

LorS
Fri, Jun-01-12, 09:05
Thank you guys. I had just asked this very question this morning before I got to this thread. This gives me a good place to start. Babette, I can so relate. Amazon love me too. but there is nothing like a good book. Anyone have any thoughts about the primal blueprint?

WereBear
Fri, Jun-01-12, 09:20
I love the Primal Blueprint! Fun read and lots of good info.

Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health - William Davis

Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution: The Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars - Richard K. Bernstein

Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It - Gary Taubes

These are the ones I've read.

I agree that starting with Why We Get Fat is excellent to create a framework where everything else fits in. I found Wheatbelly to be an easy read with a lot of good info; he puts his case for ditching grains into such detail that he put low carb at the end without too much in the way of How To. Good recipes, though.

Dr. Bernstein is a big one! Lots of info, though. That's one I'd read a chapter at a time; there's so much to absorb at once.

Sounds like so much fun! I have a Kindle app on my iTouch... so when I order them, they come right away :)

Babette R
Fri, Jun-01-12, 10:14
I just can't wait for them to get here!!

ajewett07
Fri, Jun-01-12, 11:14
I started reading 50 Shades of Gray for workout ideas...hehehehehe

Merpig
Fri, Jun-01-12, 20:03
I've been working with a great nurse practitioner who has been treating my thyroid condition, and who called herself the Low Carb Queen.

But now she has gone over to the Dark Side! She's become a *vegan*! She wants me to watch the documentary "Forks Over Knives" for summer viewing (a huge vegan agenda if you have not seen it) and to put the book "Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes" on my summer list - a VEGAN plan. Not only vegan but ultra-low-fat.

Just when I thought I'd found someone I could agree with. :D

ICDogg
Fri, Jun-01-12, 21:03
Bernstein.