PDA

View Full Version : Iced Coffee?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

huskergram
Thu, May-24-12, 06:32
One of my favorite Bloggers had a recipe for iced coffee.. hers was rather labor intensive.. so I made it simpler... I took a coffee filter and put two heaping tbsp of coffee in it then bundled it up and secured with a twist tie.. I used two of these in a mason jar filled with cold water. Let it sit overnight.. fill a glass with ice, coffee and cream, DaVinci caramel or your favorite additions to coffee! It is as good as those pricey Starbucks Frappacino in the bottle! I used caffeine free so that I can have a glass in the evening without being awake for hours! YUMMY Treat for summertime!

lterry913
Thu, May-24-12, 08:40
Sounds delish and probably really smooth...did you put it in hot or cold water to sit over nite?

huskergram
Thu, May-24-12, 08:44
Sounds delish and probably really smooth...did you put it in hot or cold water to sit over nite?

I put it in cold water and let it sit on my counter then I just stuck it in the frig overnight. It makes a much smoother brew than hot brewing.

lc4good
Thu, May-24-12, 08:52
That sounds soooooooo good! When you poured it over the ice, what was your ratio of coffee to cream? Did you remove the coffee ground parcels before you used it? what size mason jar did you use?

I bet if you put it all (ice included) in a magic bullet you'd end up with something like tim Hortons Iced cappucino.

huskergram
Thu, May-24-12, 09:07
That sounds soooooooo good! When you poured it over the ice, what was your ratio of coffee to cream? Did you remove the coffee ground parcels before you used it? what size mason jar did you use?

I bet if you put it all (ice included) in a magic bullet you'd end up with something like tim Hortons Iced cappucino.

I put it in a quart sized mason jar.. then took the coffee bags out before using..but you might want to experiment with the strength you like.. then I put ice in my glass..maybe 1/2 full. . then coffee to fill.. and about 2 tbsp cream.. and some DaVinci or liquid Splenda. You should have enough coffee for a couple of servings. The coffee will keep for several days in the frig. OOH! the magic bullet idea sounds good!!!

askwhy456
Thu, May-24-12, 10:07
I make an iced coffee most every morning but I use Walmart brand instant coffee instead of brewed. I tried most of the name brand instant coffees but it had the mildest flavor and went well with the cream.

I am curious though and I think I'll try the mason jar method to see how it compares!!

huskergram
Thu, May-24-12, 10:17
I make an iced coffee most every morning but I use Walmart brand instant coffee instead of brewed. I tried most of the name brand instant coffees but it had the mildest flavor and went well with the cream.

I am curious though and I think I'll try the mason jar method to see how it compares!!

Hmm.. I can't do instant coffee..cold or hot!

kayekaye12
Thu, May-24-12, 10:37
I make cold brewed coffee concentrate all the time too. At first I used the "Toddy" system but it was messy. Now I use my French press coffee pot*. Cold brew coffee reduces the acid and the oils and is very smooth drink. I use it in baking as well in place of water.

I've noticed it doesn't matter what kind of coffee you use. The cheaper the better. It doesn't retain any flavoring either if you use flavored coffee. But you can easily add an extract to the concentrate after it's done. I've done all kinds, vanilla, almond, coconut, rum, chocolate, extracts.

Bottled and labeled it makes a great gift.

Cold Press Coffee Concentrate

Put in 2" of coffee grounds in French Press Coffee Pot
(you can experiment how strong you want it but it's smoother than regular coffee)
Fill with cold water
Stir to wet all grounds
Let steep at least 4 hours
Push down the built in filter to strain
Pour into another glass container

To use:
1/4 Cup Coffee concentrate
1 Cup water, hot or cold

Heat the water first if you want it hot, and put the cold brew into the hot. Never heat the cold brew, it ruins it.

To store:
Refrigerate in glass container up to 3 weeks
Freeze in ice cube trays then in freezer bags, up to 3 months

(1 Ice cube of coffee concentrate to one cup of boiling water. I use the microwave at 2 or 3 minutes to get the water really hot, really easy in the morning)

*French press coffee pot in case you don't know...
http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Chambord-French-Coffee-Chrome/dp/B005ADS5TU/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1337877364&sr=1-2

gweny70
Thu, May-24-12, 13:16
And here I was just making extra coffee in the morning and chilling what was left over in the fridge for later for my afternoon iced coffee....OOPS. LOL.

Deciduous
Thu, May-24-12, 14:26
Yum! I blend together instant coffee, krisda stevia or splenda, and unsweetened almond milk - maybe some frozen spinach :)

huskergram
Thu, May-24-12, 14:46
Deciduous.. I was with ya until the spinach part!! haha

Nancy LC
Thu, May-24-12, 15:00
A long time ago I bought a refrigerator coffee maker. Basically it was a sort of bucket with a filter and plug in the bottom. You put coffee and water in it and let it "brew" in the refrigerator overnight. It was the most mellow coffee I've ever had.

deirdra
Thu, May-24-12, 16:15
And here I was just making extra coffee in the morning and chilling what was left over in the fridge for later for my afternoon iced coffee....OOPS. LOL.I've been doing the same thing for years since I only like the taste of good beans freshly ground, brewed & chilled, and I also like my morning coffee.

kayekaye12
Thu, May-24-12, 16:28
It's really pretty easy to throw the grounds in and let them soak. It's worth the try, it tastes so good.

kayekaye12
Thu, May-24-12, 16:31
A long time ago I bought a refrigerator coffee maker. Basically it was a sort of bucket with a filter and plug in the bottom. You put coffee and water in it and let it "brew" in the refrigerator overnight. It was the most mellow coffee I've ever had.

Yes that sounds sort of like the "Toddy" system I used to have. It is great tasting.

huskergram
Thu, May-24-12, 16:46
Yes that sounds sort of like the "Toddy" system I used to have. It is great tasting.

I found the Toddy brew system on Amazon and EBay.. It sounds pretty simple but I think the making a pouch with your coffee is probably just as easy..just $35 cheaper! Maybe someday I will invest in one. I just had my delish iced coffee dessert! I still drink my coffee hot in the morning though.

kayekaye12
Thu, May-24-12, 16:53
Yes it works great. I too drink my coffee hot, but only heat the water. After cold brewing a concentrate heating the concentrate ruins it. It sounds like you are not making a concentrate but full coffee. That works too. I like the concentrate because it keeps longer than cold brewed coffee.

I found the filters in the Toddy system plugged up easily and it became harder and harder to drain the concentrate. You also have to make a floating "bog" of the coffee grounds. Then they don't always get all wet, and if the bog sinks it plugs up the filter. The French press eliminates all that mess of draining.

huskergram
Thu, May-24-12, 18:01
How do I make the concentrate? I would consider getting the French press if you think that is the simplest method..

ferrygirl
Thu, May-24-12, 18:35
One of my favorite Bloggers had a recipe for iced coffee.. Ah, I know of whom you speak! I've been drooling over that iced coffee for a few days - thanks for sharing this simpler method!

Nancy LC
Thu, May-24-12, 21:39
YES! That's what it was called. I'd forgotten. LOL! One totally doesn't need the fancy bucket at all. Just brew it in a pitcher or something and strain it through a coffee filter.

kayekaye12
Fri, May-25-12, 19:17
How do I make the concentrate? I would consider getting the French press if you think that is the simplest method..

:agree: Yup, I think the French press with cold water is the easiest way to make the concentrate. See my post on the first page of this thread, I have complete details there.

huskergram
Sat, May-26-12, 10:51
I just ordered my French Press on Amazon today! Thanks for the directions.. I am anxious to try it out!

deniselisa
Sat, May-26-12, 11:00
Seems like one could use the coffee singles (they look like tea bags- I believe Folgers use to make them) and put in in a cup of water overnight. I like espresso and make iced coffee from that; kinda like Starbucks Americano.

PilotGal
Sat, May-26-12, 12:11
take leftover coffee and refrigerate it.
take the chilled coffee and add ice to a large tumbler.
add stevia (different varieties make different tastes) and heavy whipping cream and stir...
instant iced coffee.. simple, yet soooooooooooo delicious.:rheart:

http://www.infusioncoffeeandtea.com/artwork/_DSC0833.JPG

noinwi
Sat, May-26-12, 13:54
I use a Melitta cone for my morning mug of black coffee. If I want iced(usually in the evening so I use decaf), I use double grounds and filter it over a large tumbler of ice(then add sweetener and cream). I've made the cold concentrate before and it is smooth, but I like fresh brewed. I like to take a deep whiff of the grounds before scooping it into the filter(it's my little morning ritual, lol). I grind enough beans for about a week's worth of joe and keep it in glass jars, one regular and one decaf.

kvcooks
Sat, May-26-12, 16:00
Yep, I've done this in summertime for a few years- ever since my hubby read an article about how amazing cold-brewed coffee extract is. But, the method in the french-press pot sounds so much easier than the steep overnight and strain way that I've been doing. Thanks for the idea! Oh, and it is super smooth and delicious for iced coffee drinks!

Robin120
Sat, May-26-12, 17:55
take leftover coffee and refrigerate it.
take the chilled coffee and add ice to a large tumbler.
add stevia (different varieties make different tastes) and heavy whipping cream and stir...
instant iced coffee.. simple, yet soooooooooooo delicious.:rheart:

This is exactly what I do as well :thup:

Brinethery
Sat, May-26-12, 18:41
I make my coffee with a moka pot and then chill it in an ice bath (put the cup in a bowl, surround it with ice and fill with water just below the level of the cup). Takes about ten minutes and then I pour the coffee into a plastic cup and fill with ice and heavy cream. Delicious.

huskergram
Sun, May-27-12, 19:54
I think we are all in agreement! Iced coffee is a yummy treat! Finding the best method depends on your personal taste and how much you want to brew.. but I would suggest trying the cold brew method to anyone who hasn't tried it! It is not at all acidic and is smooth as silk!

gweny70
Tue, May-29-12, 10:56
I think we are all in agreement! Iced coffee is a yummy treat! Finding the best method depends on your personal taste and how much you want to brew.. but I would suggest trying the cold brew method to anyone who hasn't tried it! It is not at all acidic and is smooth as silk!

I'm definitely all for trying it!! Although as much as I liked Iced coffee already it could be dangerous if this method makes it EVEN MORE YUMMY! :) :) Thanks for sharing!! :)