PDA

View Full Version : Negotiating Dining Out

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

WereBear
Sun, May-20-12, 11:18
Yesterday my girlfriend and I indulged in a long-planned, and saved for, Therapeutic Girl's Day. We were at a big pedestrian shopping/dining center, with many many bookstores. So when she told me she had her heart set on lunch at a particular Italian bistro, I said "of course!"

She said, "Don't agree yet, let's look at the menu," because she's mindful of my restrictions. But I quickly scanned the menu and told her not to worry.

Because I can have a good time anywhere.

I ordered a shot of dark rum in a tall glass with ice; and topped it off with a can of ginger beer sweetened with stevia. Presto: a low carb Dark and Stormy. I've never had a server or a bartender give me so much as a blink when I bring my own mixer and tell them I have "sugar issues." They know how much sugar is in those mixers!

I got sweet sausage with marinara sauce and a mixed green salad with roasted beets vinaigrette. Even if this was a less gourmet place I could ask for sausage with sauce; they are sure to have that.

Dessert? Yes, please, because they had a flourless chocolate torte. Delish! I was planning to settle for a bit of gelato.

I'm in pre-maintenance and have some leeway in my carbs for the day; and this delightful meal was so filling I actually skipped dinner altogether. I've discovered I don't have issues with cravings of late if I stay gluten free; so I do.

My point is that we shouldn't feel conspicuous or think we are being "pains" if we make these little adjustments. Restaurants are glad to accommodate us; because the other choice is for us not to come. That is far worse for them!

So we can ask a few questions, and bring a few things that let us enjoy the meal like anyone else;

OR

We can feel guilted and shy into eating stuff that keeps us fat and sick... and deal with the conspicuousness of actually being fat and sick.

I know which I'd prefer.

freckles
Sun, May-20-12, 15:17
Because I can have a good time anywhere.

I agree! There are <very> few places that don't have at least one dish that I can eat with some minor adjustments. Love this woe!!!

Elizellen
Mon, May-21-12, 02:46
My point is that we shouldn't feel conspicuous or think we are being "pains" if we make these little adjustments. Restaurants are glad to accommodate us; because the other choice is for us not to come. That is far worse for them!

So we can ask a few questions, and bring a few things that let us enjoy the meal like anyone else;
Exactly!! :thup: :agree: :thup:

Whofan
Mon, May-21-12, 09:20
You were in a shopping center with many, many bookstores! Where??? I never see bookstores in any of my local suburban shopping centers these days. They even seem to be disappearing in Manhattan now.

Amanda1978
Mon, May-21-12, 09:24
Agreed! I don't think I've ever went out and not found something I could eat safely. Most times I can find something delicious and sometimes it's not something I want to eat but if I want to stay on track I'll eat it anyhow.

lc4good
Mon, May-21-12, 09:35
I couldn't agree more. I think that at most restaurants it is possible to find something that will not compromise our eating plans and it isn't too difficult to be politely assertive in explaining what we do or do not want to see arrive on our plate.

I think the most difficult that I have encountered is a japanese restaurant as so much of this cuisine involves sweet sauces or dressings. I find that I just avoid it which is a shame as I love japanese food. I guess it's one tp=ype of restaurant I haven't researced enough from a lc perspective.

Amanda1978
Mon, May-21-12, 09:49
I think the most difficult that I have encountered is a japanese restaurant as so much of this cuisine involves sweet sauces or dressings. I find that I just avoid it which is a shame as I love japanese food. I guess it's one tp=ype of restaurant I haven't researced enough from a lc perspective.

Japanese is one type of restaurant I haven't been too but I'm wondering if you could just ask for the sauce on the side and only use a little bit or ask for an extra side of plain veggies or meat and mix it with the main dish. Eat half and take the rest home. Then you have the flavor and two meals with only half the normal carbs. Just a suggestion but like I said I haven't been to a Japanese restaurant so I don't know how well that woul work. Like you said you'd need to look up the numbers yourself to see if it would work.

WereBear
Mon, May-21-12, 10:25
You were in a shopping center with many, many bookstores! Where??? I never see bookstores in any of my local suburban shopping centers these days. They even seem to be disappearing in Manhattan now.

This was the Church Street Complex in Burlington, Vermont. It's a big outside pedestrian shopping center; The Crow, a famous used bookstore, and a new one, called Phoenix, are part of it. NO BOOKS in the nearby mall, which we only used for parking, anyway. We wanted the cute little shops & bistros outside.

We also stopped at the Flying Pig in Shelburne on our way over.

Sadly, that's our "many many" bookstores.

Janknitz
Mon, May-21-12, 10:43
I agree, it's possible to do low carb ANYWHERE if you think it through carefully. Asian restaurants can be challenging because they put sugar in nearly everything, and also wheat based soy sauces are common. I get sashimi at Japanese restaurants and avoid the sushi rice--it's full of sugar. You're better off asking for a bowl of steamed rice and having your sashimi with a little bit of that. You can ask them to stir-fry veggies or meat for you and holld the sauce. Unfortunately, it's kind of expensive to eat much sashimi.

At home it can be just as challenging. Most of this year I've been low carbing my eldest daughter, the pastatarian, has been away at college. She's baaaaaack, and will be here a while as her university is nearby and we cannot afford the dorms any longer. She eats primarily pasta and sweets, but fortunately likes veggiess as well. Meat, not so much.

Last night DH made spaghetti with italian turkey sausage (we don't eat pork) in it. That was easily adapted for me by using my julienne shredder to shred some summer squash into "noodles". They soften quickly in the piping hot sauce to give me a texture similar to noodles and more low carb veg in my dinner. Yummy! A salad and a glass of wine and I was happy too. We are finding ways to accomodate her while still keeping me low carb.

Nobody else has to compromise their own eating habits for me, and I can enjoy food as much as everyone else.

WereBear
Mon, May-21-12, 10:57
That was easily adapted for me by using my julienne shredder to shred some summer squash into "noodles". They soften quickly in the piping hot sauce to give me a texture similar to noodles and more low carb veg in my dinner.

That sounds brilliant! Might try it tonight.

Whofan
Mon, May-21-12, 11:52
This was the Church Street Complex in Burlington, Vermont.

Vermont....that explains it. We have friends not too far away in Brattleboro and they have a bookstore or two as well!

As for eating out...I've never had a problem. In some places I have to resign myself to paying the same price but asking for the potatoes, rice, whatever to be left off the plate. Occasionally a server will ask if I'd like to substitute an extra green vegetable for the carby one at no additional charge. Actually, that's happening more often now - perhaps another indication that word is getting out.

WereBear
Mon, May-21-12, 15:13
In some places I have to resign myself to paying the same price but asking for the potatoes, rice, whatever to be left off the plate.

Yes, but it feels a little better when I remember they are dirt cheap... and have the same food value :)

Whofan
Tue, May-22-12, 09:14
Exactly! I tell myself I don't want their cheap, grain-filler in my body. One day I might pluck up courage and say it out loud. With a nice smile. ;)

LustFTM
Tue, May-22-12, 11:06
I think that restaurants are very accomodating. My friends are fine with my "special ordering", but I get a little embarassed doing so in big gatherings.