PDA

View Full Version : A question about adding coconut oil to coffee

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

lc4good
Sat, May-19-12, 09:32
Does it change the taste of your coffee? If so, can you describe the change? Does it leave an "oil slick" on the top?

cnmLisa
Sat, May-19-12, 09:45
1. I have been using coconout oil in my coffee so long if it does leave a taste, I don't notice it.

2. Yes. It leaves an oil slick on top.

HTH

Progress not perfection.

Lisa

becky7474
Sat, May-19-12, 09:52
Yes to the oil slick. The taste is going to depend on what brand you buy, and how much of it you put in your cup.

Janknitz
Sat, May-19-12, 12:25
Yes, there is a slight coconut flavor (perhaps not if you buy a more refined CO), but it's not really noticeable after the first sip or two.

Yes, it does leave an oil slick on top which I thought was going to be repulsive, but it's not. It makes my lips feel smooth as if I've just put on lipgloss and I've come to really like that sensation. It does not feel greasy or strange inside my mouth at all.

Sue333
Sun, May-20-12, 17:33
Yes to the oil slick (but it's not gross...in fact, it's kind of neat) and yes just a little bit to the flavour. I drink a dark roast ethiopian, which is a strong flavour of coffee to begin with, and the coconut oil softens it a bit. Totally delicious.

WereBear
Sun, May-20-12, 17:56
It gives the coffee a lot of body. It's funny, I used to taste the coconut, which I like. But now, even though I'm using the same brand and everything, I don't.

But it does make my lips so smooth and soft!

0Angel0
Sun, May-20-12, 18:45
The oil slick bothered me for about a week. It was the easiest way for me to get coconut oil though so I kept at it. I love it now. The oil makes the coffee so smooth and silky which is great since I drink it black now.

I wish is would completely soften my lips though. There seems to be a very thin line on the inside of my lips that's always dry even though the rest of my lips are soft. Maybe that's the drying effect of ketosis, idk.

Abbie_B.
Sun, May-20-12, 19:56
I keep a straw or spoon in it and give it a stir if I need to. You get used to it and I also love the way it helps my dry lips. :0)

WagsMarie
Thu, May-31-12, 18:21
Yes to the oil slick. The taste is going to depend on what brand you buy, and how much of it you put in your cup.

Can you recommend the best (non-repulsive ;) ) brand to buy? And how much do you all take a day?