PDA

View Full Version : Wow, I'm Suddenly Shy!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Amerelyse
Sat, May-11-02, 20:25
I can't believe I'm scared to introduce myself!!! LOL

Okay, here goes...... I'm Amy. :D

I have just started the atkins diet today, officially. I've been playing around with it for the past few weeks, but I hadn't kept track really well.....and I always ate something I shouldn't by the end of the day. :rolleyes:

I'm hoping that I will not give up. And I'm hoping that I can do this and that it won't be too hard to stick with. I am an all or nothing person, and I give up on whatever I don't do perfectly, pretty often.

I haven't dieted in years. I'm a recovering alcoholic, sober six years now, and started battling an eating disorder shortly thereafter. It's been four years since I've thrown up, but my eating habits have been really bad since. I'm not "overweight". Well, maybe 5 or 10 pounds, depending on what chart you go buy. But I'm terrified of diets triggering binging, because that will start the cycle over again. And that really scares me.

Anyhow, that's a little about me. Probably more than you wanted to know, huh? ;)

I think joining in with you all will help me. :) I'm looking forward to getting to know some people here. :)

Karen
Sun, May-12-02, 00:37
Welcome to the forum Amy!

I don't think you have to worry about low-carbing triggering binges. If you are a sugar junkie, you'll find that low carbing really does help eliminate the physical cravings. It may be rough going at first because carbs are addictive and you will go through withdrawal. Once you get through the physical agony, there is only your mind to deal with! ;)

Two books you may want to read are Potatoes Not Prozac and The Schwarzbein Principle which both deal with healing your metabolism.

This is an excerpt from Potatoes Not Prozac: "Whether you are sugar-sensitive or not, sugar, like alcohol, causes a release of beta-endorphin. It can make you feel high and can reduce both physical and emotional pain. People with normal body chemistry can enjoy this without ill effects. But sugar-sensitive people respond to the beta-endorphin effect of sugar in a bigger way because their brain cells have far more beta-endorphin receptors than ordinary people."

Since you don't have a lot of weight to lose, you can eat for balance and healing. Weight loss will be a happy side effect of changing your eating habits.

Keep coming back, it works if you work it! :D

Karen

Amerelyse
Sun, May-12-02, 10:58
Thank you, Karen, and I will look for those books!

My bloodsugar has been an issue for a while now, so I'm sure hoping this will help.

I feel a little better today than I did yesterday. This is day two. :eek:

Progress not perfection, progress not perfection :D