PDA

View Full Version : If the rest of your family is slim, do they eat low carb foods with you?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

lc4good
Fri, May-04-12, 16:06
I've turned my family on to several low carb dishes without them even knowing :lol: They love cola chicken (which I also do with cubed pork and even with small sausages) and I do a fabulous dish with chicken breasts in a mushroom shallot and chive cream sauce and they like that too. Also, I have a great recipe for spicy enchilada chicken that my hubby likes although I haven't made that in several years. The last two are induction friendly and none of them seem to miss the carbs.

huskergram
Fri, May-04-12, 17:50
My husband will eat a few of the dishes that I prepare for me..but rarely! He is pretty much meat and potatoes ..of course he doesn't mind bacon and eggs for breakfast!

Liz53
Fri, May-04-12, 18:11
It's just my husband and me, I do the cooking so he too eats low carb. He knows I'm happier not having carb-heavy food in the house and is more than willing to go along with it. I used to keep bread and muesli for him (not tempting to me), but over the years he has pretty much eliminated eating any grains at home. He will still occasionally eat them when out. Over a couple of years, he's gradually lost 10 or 15 lbs, enough that other people are noticing.

ICDogg
Fri, May-04-12, 21:29
My wife is more-or-less on my diet because I make the food and do most of the food shopping. She likes my cooking and prefers not grabbing food herself if she can help it, so it works out, though I think she would eat more carbs given her "druthers".

Kirsteen
Sat, May-05-12, 04:38
My boyfriend does all the cooking, although I sometimes help him. He's not low-carbing, but he usually eats the same as me, because the food's great. The only exceptions are times I want something really light, but often at these times, he'll cook himself up a different low-carb standard, such as sardines or mackerel, which he'd not have eaten before. He supplements the meals with a lot of wholemeal bread, cheese, occasional potatoes or rice, and desserts, occasional chocolate, etc. He has lost some weight doing this, which he needed. He's addicted to carbs, but my healthier diet has definitely not only influenced what he is eating, but has also influenced his taste for food, with him choosing less and less to eat refined wheat in any form including pizza, etc., and eating less sugar too. Yesterday, he was out at lunchtime, and bought himself a baguette stuffed with salad and curried chicken - which was formerly a great favourite. He didn't really enjoy it, and was disappointed that it didn't taste as good as he/'d previously thought. We estimated last night that he eats 9 teaspoonfuls of sugar on an average day, mostly in his desserts, but that is still an improvement. I think it's probably about 2/3 or less of what he'd have eaten before. Given that he has not been trying to lose weight or give up any particular food, it does seem to be a sign that eating a healthier diet has changed his palate.

lterry913
Sat, May-05-12, 07:21
My husband usually eats what I eat plus a potato or bread and even sugary desserts...he could lose a few but is active so it comes off easy for him...my son and daughter eat lower carb as they are thin but recognize the evils of the white stuff...my husband won't change until something healthwise makes him...he's doing ok so if it ain't broke he ain't gonna fix it according to him. I can't argue that reasoning but I have his back if he would get word anything has changed for worse or he puts on too many pounds.

freckles
Sat, May-05-12, 08:26
My husband is slightly overweight, but he did lose quite a bit when I got back to lc over a year ago. We have one overweight son and one son that is skinny as a rail. No one but me does lc, but they all understand the principles and support me. And we all eat the same meals. They just add in potatoes or bread or whatever.

It's funny because about 6 months or so ago skinny ds got a job at a Chinese restaurant where he can drink free soda all day and started gaining weight. He has started drinking diet drinks. Still eats all kinds of wheat products, though.

At least they all know what to do if they want to eat healthy and lose weight. :thup:

becky7474
Sat, May-05-12, 08:37
I do all the cooking, so if he wants to eat, it's low carb. He is really enjoying the comments about losing weight, but still has a few of his carby foods here in the house.

kayekaye12
Sat, May-05-12, 13:36
My husband is low carb with me when he is home and indulges in carbs for lunch. He took off a LOT of weight before me too, no fair. But he packs on the weight faster than me to when he wanders too far off the LC for lunches.

madeyna
Sat, May-05-12, 20:50
My girls are under weight so I make a point to add something carby with each meal for them . Sometimes its a potato or rice others its just something simple like a high carb. salad dressing. Other than that they eat what every meat and veggies I have prepared for us. I want them to learn food is about balance not all or nothing . Because a few months from now some studie will decide what ever is healthy today is not longer healthy so I focus on balance.

NubCake
Mon, May-07-12, 01:17
When I started low carb my family did not understand its purpose. My father always thought that weight loss and good health are results of low calorie diets. I convinced him to try though and he hasn't had a teaspoon of sugar since 2010. He rarely eats bread or pasta. He is 48 now and his blood tests are similar to a 25yo. (I'm so proud of him :D)
My brother and mother on the other hand... their meals are 70% carbs but they have always been skinny no matter what they ate :P
Trying to convinve my stubborn grandma at the moment. She has high blood sugar and will refuse to eat low carb cause it seems so unhealthy to her. For her pasta is good and meat is the enemy.

MicheleK
Tue, May-08-12, 15:03
I do all the cooking, so if he wants to eat, it's low carb. He is really enjoying the comments about losing weight, but still has a few of his carby foods here in the house.

Pretty much this for me too.

If my husband (or mother - who lives with us) wants anything besides LC they better fix it themselves.

My husband is not overweight, but my mom is.

Elfie
Wed, May-09-12, 18:25
I can't low carb if the temptations are right at hand, so my family eats exactly the way I do...at least at home.