PDA

View Full Version : Do you eat roe?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

NinaS
Thu, May-03-12, 19:04
Hi , I was wondering how many of you eat roe and where do you get it? Im pregnant and doing atkins. Im trying to include some of those very nutrient rich foods in my diet. I have never ever had roe how do you serve it? is it strong tasting? Thanks !

ICDogg
Thu, May-03-12, 19:21
Fresh or cured?

NinaS
Thu, May-03-12, 20:14
Cured I guess I'm in Iowa so I probably can't get fresh

ICDogg
Thu, May-03-12, 21:54
Probably just order some online from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_0?rh=n%3A16310101%2Cn%3A%2116310211%2Cn%3A371477011%2Cn%3A371480011&bbn=371477011&ie=UTF8&qid=1336103621&rnid=371477011

ICDogg
Thu, May-03-12, 21:56
I have never actually bought roe by itself. However I have bought carp on occasion and it sometimes comes with the roe.

GlendaRC
Thu, May-03-12, 23:37
I live on the coast and I never see roe offered in any seafood shop except as caviar, and that is so salty that, to my taste, it's inedible! Some fresh fish still have the roe in them. What special about roe that you'd be looking for that specifically? I don't even like it and I love most seafood products.

Kirsteen
Fri, May-04-12, 05:16
I have been trying to find a source of roe for ages to make taramasala - that yummy Greek dip, plus I'd just like to eat the roe on it's own, because I adore caviar, and am hoping it might be similar. My friend's local supermarket stocks it in tins, but the same supermarket in my city doesn't stock fancy stuff like that. I've never seen fresh squid here either - most of our squid is seemingly exported to places like Spain. Ironically, Spain is a top holiday favourite for us Scots, and loads of us enjoy eating the squid out there, lol.

Deciduous
Fri, May-04-12, 11:41
I want some too - I can only find it at the asian grocery, and it has sugar added!

sexym2
Fri, May-04-12, 12:04
The freshwater roe seams much more reasonably priced, makes me woner whats wrong with fresh water roe. We eat mostly fresh water fish here (we catch our own) so I don't know the difference.

dantonn9
Fri, May-04-12, 18:24
I don't even know what roe is. Off to Google...

mfish
Fri, May-04-12, 19:04
Funny timing for this thread, I've been thinking about roe lately myself. I can get masago at the asian markets here, but it is "seasoned" (i.e. sugar added). The local fish market sometimes puts roe on display in the ice if someone buying the whole fish didn't want it, but it doesn't happen very often. They said salmon is always gutted when they get it in, always has been.

I thought I might like to try ordering this Carp Roe Caviar (http://www.amazon.com/Carp-Roe-Caviar-Tarama-krinos/dp/B000LRH7BW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1336178522&sr=8-4) for making taramosalata. I've been looking at this place (http://www.solomonfalls.com/store/) for salmon caviar and the prices seem pretty reasonable (as compared to everything else!), but I have not nor do I know anyone who has ordered from there, so cannot vouch for the store.

I am very tempted to send an inquiry to this company (http://xtremenorthwest.com/products.htm) that sells flash frozen skeins of king salmon eggs, but as fish bait and not "for human consumption." Thinking I could thaw and cure them myself.

I would be very happy to find any kind of unprocessed roe, or at least be able to get it without sugar, MSG, or other undesirable additives.

NinaS
Mon, May-14-12, 12:21
Thanks for the info guys. I may try some off amazon.

Janknitz
Mon, May-14-12, 18:31
I LOVE roe, but you should check with your OB before eating it because it is salty and it is raw (although cured). Japanese restaurants and Asian markets usually have it. In grocery stores you can buy various grades of caviar--but usually it's quite expensive.

One place you can get it reasonably is at Ikea, believe it or not. They sell it in the refrigerated section of the grocery department (in our local Ikea, there is a grocery area PAST the check out counters, next to where they sell the junk food (cinnamon buns, ice cream, hot dogs, and sodas) on your way out of the store (very hard to resist when you are exhausted after going through the entire store!).

They have refrigerator and freezer cases with all sorts of Scandanavian fishy delights, including herring in many forms, frozen salmon, and roe. They have tinned fishies as well. One of my favorite things to buy from there is the Gravalox--delicious and very reasonably priced. I buy several and toss them in the freezer. Again, I'd check with your OB before trying this cured fish delight.

ICDogg
Mon, May-14-12, 18:36
"Do you eat roe"?
"No, I don't eat Wade either"

LorS
Tue, May-15-12, 21:22
Lots of roe on sushi. I would think anywhere that sells sushi supplies, you could get a good selection. Maybe just go order the sushi and have them hold the rice, LOL

sondacop
Sat, May-19-12, 13:31
I buy it frozen from the fishmonger. It comes 3 in a pack. I take one out, defrost and fry in butter, just a bit so that the inside is still rare. I carefully remove it to the plate and eat right away. The one time I overcooked it, it came out hard and gritty, I didn't like it, so I added mayonnaise to it and ate it like a tuna salad.

Here is another way to make it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsTG9xTMsyY
As I've said, I like the middle rare, this would be too dry\overcooked for me!
Enjoy!

Magmoon
Sat, May-19-12, 15:39
I have had fish cakes, made from roe. Didn't really care for it. Got it in a fish & chip place.