PDA

View Full Version : Sorting myself out (again)

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

D_Aphrael
Sat, Apr-28-12, 07:24
Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking around this forum since I started back on low carb about 3-4 weeks ago and I've been eating a relatively clean 20g a day diet in that time apart from 3 days last weekend when I went a visited about half of my family. I don't see them all that often so I didn't want to wade in and start making all sorts of dietary demands. Since them I'm back to clean eating and still making good progress.

I live in the UK and about 3 years ago dropped from probably over 210lbs (I never knew for sure) down to about 140. This was a combination of things including a bit of low carb, then having too little money to spend on food to actually eat low carb - but luckily too little to maintain my massive eating, plus an active job. I maintained that fairly well but since I got a desk job (and more money) it's been slowly creeping back. I'm now 20lbs up on my lowest weight.

Now I have the money too, and live in a really convenient locations (3 groceries in walking distance and a local butcher) I decided I was in a prime point to low-carb again and get that creeping weight back down. Motivated largely by the fact that I can't button up my favourite jeans anymore.

It has been awesome! I can't even describe what it's like to be eating so many things that have been massive 'no-nos' for the last 3 years. Like bacon, cream, crackling, and cheese. And this morning -albeit with much effort and discomfort - I got those jeans on and done up, but I still have a ways to go. It's brilliant and I look forward to continuing.

Plus my Mum has played copy-cat over the last week, despite being a natural skinny-minnie, and lost that last stubborn couple of pounds she's been trying to get rid of and is now a total convert.

Has anyone had any experience with people not liking the fact you're succeeding? A friend (I'm pretty sure) intentionally sabotaged me when I went round for dinner at the beginning of my second week.

She offered to cook a curry, I said that'd be great but I wasn't eating rice at the moment so I'd just have the curry on it's own. When I arrived starving hungry and with no other options she'd mixed the cooked rice into the entire curry. She's trying to do an intense low-calorie thing at the moment and just keeps falling of the wagon.

I'm already appreciating the support here, thanks already you guys!

Kelly_L
Sat, Apr-28-12, 08:22
Welcome to actually being part of the forum and not just lurking :lol:
And congrats on getting the jeans buttoned. I have a jacket that is hanging outside my closet that I try on from time to time. It's a great way to see how well you are doing
As for sabotage, I think we all have people in our lives that for some reason or other can't (or won't ) understand what we are doing. Years ago I had a really good friend that acted like I was in some dangerous cult. She would get really mad at me whenever I would lose more weight and it wasn't as though I was wasting away. People are weird!
Keep up the good work.
Kelly

mviesprite
Sat, Apr-28-12, 14:00
"Has anyone had any experience with people not liking the fact you're succeeding?"
Hello and welcome! Congrats on your progress so far.
Yes, I have people who sabotage or cheer loudly when I cave on something. It's all about their agenda. They will not care when you get on the scale or feel like crap after they've had their little "win". A family member tells me I always pick "weird" diets (LC) she diets the hard way, low fat, low calorie. I have co-workers who are so glad when I partake of birthday goodies at work. I used to belong to a gourmet cooking group as well that I had to discontinue because it's a feast of things I can't eat every month or so - and the food is out of this world, lots of wine - but ..it's expensive and I just can't deal with that kind of temptation every month. I've stopped going out with friends right now until this becomes second nature for me. I have stopped trying to explain how I feel when I fall off the wagon and started saying "No thanks." and "you won't be getting on the scale with me".
So I totally understand - good luck!
Kat

robynsnest
Sat, Apr-28-12, 14:48
Welcome, we're all in this together!