PDA

View Full Version : Magnesium..

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

huskergram
Fri, Apr-27-12, 14:26
I am going to start taking magnesium for constipation.. what time of day do you take it..if you take it at bedtime.. are you going to be up all night? Also.. how many 250 mg tablets should I take? I am sure it is different for each person.. just need to know where to start.

Nancy LC
Fri, Apr-27-12, 14:50
For constipation you need the sort of magnesium that's isn't well absorbed, like magnesium citrate or oxide. I think the usual dose in OTC magensium laxatives is around 1,000 - 1,500 mg. You can go to the store and look up a bottle of Milk of Magnesia and see what they have you take.

askwhy456
Fri, Apr-27-12, 15:21
If you are overly constipated then Nancy's numbers would be good but if you are just looking to use it on a daily basis to prevent constipation then I would start out taking 250 mg a day and work up to an amount that works for you over the course of a few days. I personally take one tablet in the morning and one before bed. I know a lot of folks that double that but it can have some pretty 'fast' results if you are not used to taking it.

MizKitty
Fri, Apr-27-12, 15:37
MILK OF MAGNESIA suspension
[Cardinal Health]

Active ingredient
A suspension of magnesium hydroxide. Each 10 mL (2 teaspoonfuls) of Milk of Magnesia Concentrate is equivalent to 30 mL Milk of Magnesia yielding 2400 mg of magnesium hydroxide and providing not less than 60 mEq/10 mL of acid-neutralizing capacity (ANC)
For use as a laxative:
Indications: For relief of occasional constipation. This product generally produces bowel movement in 1/2 to 6 hours.
Directions
For use as a Laxative:
Drink a full glass (8 oz) of liquid following each dose. Adults and children 12 years of age and over- Oral dosage is 10 to 20 mL (2 to 4 teaspoonfuls)
==============================================

So am I calculating that right, the recommended dose of MofM used as a laxative provides 2400-4800 mg of magnesium?
That would be 9 to 19 250mg capsules. No wonder I think magnesium doesn't work for me as a laxative, I've never taken anywhere near that much. I think my capsules are 200, and I've never taken more than 3 at a time.

My doctor told me to stop taking magnesium. Of course, that made me want to go right out and buy the biggest bottle I could find, but I wonder why he told me that. What is the "wrong, completely backwards" belief about magnesium among mainstream doctors. Anyone know? Should be good for a laugh.

tbagram
Mon, Apr-30-12, 10:15
Magnesium gives me the runs pretty quickly..I take one tablet of Slo-Mag before bed with calcium and potassium. Any more than that or anything different is "explosive" for me. You probable should start out with the lower dose and work up.

autodidact
Wed, May-02-12, 03:25
I have also heard that 1000+ mg is necessary, but I find one 250mg tablet daily is enough to keep me regular!

I do take it daily though. I would build up to it over a few days, and make sure you don't try it for the first time before you are about to go out......

Liz53
Wed, May-02-12, 04:52
I've been taking magnesium for many years (even pre- low carb) to counter the constipating effects of added calcium. In one of Dr. Andrew Weil's books, he recommends starting with 200 mg a day, for a few days, gauge the results, then increase the dose 200 mg at a time (every few days) till you reach your personal balance or 1000 mg. The common dosages I see in tablets are 200, 250 and 400. My dosage varies from time to time but I usually take 400 mg in the am and another 2-400 at night, as needed.

I was just reading Phinney and Volek's new The Art and Science of Low Carb Performance last night. They are big fans of slow-mag because more of the calcium is absorbed into the muscles and less goes to waste. The amount of magnesium you might need is so personal. As others have suggested, start small and work up slowly to find your personal dose.

Janknitz
Wed, May-02-12, 16:59
And from what I've read, the way you "find your personal dose" is that you keep upping the dose UNTIL you have diarrhea--then back off a little and you're there.

I've never been brave enough to go that far with it. I take 3 tablets of MagCitrate spread throughout the day with my last dose before bed. I'm just this side of constipation on that dose.

I've heard that it's better to get your calcium from food than to take it together with a magnesium supplement, but I don't know why.