PDA

View Full Version : Foolish, Foolish Me

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

motherjude
Sat, May-11-02, 06:16
It is great to be here first of all.

I started low carbing in Nov. 2000 and in just 6-7 weeks lost 20 lbs. I was so amazed I thought wow I have finally found something that works for me and I wasn't even hungry. Then things slowed way down and it took me 6 months to lose an additional 12 lbs for a total of 32 lbs. I was ecstatic and stuck with it through all the stalls etc. I went home on vacation and everyone raved about how I looked etc. great. I kept it off for 6 months and talked about how I had made a life change blah,blah, blah and swore by low carbing.
Well I foolishly decided that I was going to enjoy the holidays this past Christmas and don't know why I associated enjoying the holidays with sweets. so I indulged until I put on 15 of the 32 lbs. I had lost and for the life of me couldn't get back into low carbing until 3 days ago. To think I was only 5 lbs!!!!! away from my goal.

Well I started induction 3 days ago and am very happy to say I am back on track and feel so thrilled to be back. I have done well the last 2 days and don't intend to stray again. (I hope).
I will be going back home for vacation and my husband and I are also having that honeymoon we never had, going to Vegas and I have so much to look forward to so I will be around here and having this site to come to will be so good for me as well.
Thank you for having me.
Jude

Talon
Sat, May-11-02, 10:00
Nex ttime you are tempted to go off plan -just remember this time and the 15lbs you gained with such ease. It took you nearly 5 months to get back to LC'ing from a planned cheat. Was it really worth it?

Thanks for sharing, it helps cement in my mind that I don't want to go back there and that even holidays are not worth the long term aggrevation.

motherjude
Sun, May-12-02, 06:12
Hi Talon,
Yes it took me 5 months to get back on track but I did learn a very valuable lesson and that was this is a way of eating for life and I can't afford to slack off again. What's important is that I did get back track finally and today is day 4 of induction for me and I am doing so good.
I am glad my lesson taught you something as well. Good luck to you.

razzle
Sun, May-12-02, 08:15
rather than "foolish," I'd call you just plain old human. I had a month off-plan last year, too--and it was HARD to get back on. It got to the point where I didn't even want the junk I was eating, but the physical addiction parts kept me eating it--blech! For me, I think that month was a part--a crucial part--of my way of life. It was an important lesson--and I'm one of those who has to learn the lessons through sometimes hard experience. It had to be done for me, and yes, it slowed my loss way down...but I don't regret it. Now I really really know

I'm so glad you got back on track! Here's hoping for a major re-induction loss for you! :)

MistyBee
Sun, May-12-02, 09:20
:) hear my foolishness....

I lost 110 pounds when my kids were in diapers - giving up flour and sugar, etc. It wasn't Atkins, but you know, for over a year and a half I had no sugar and my health improved.

My kids are teens now and I am just getting back to being in a place where I will give up sugar.... over 10 years later... oh yes and I gained back the majority of the weight right away - 30 pounds in that first binge month... and within 3 years I was back up, plus. It took until this past summer when I hit 250 pounds on the scale to become willing to say that free eating and listening to my hunger obviously wasn't working.... I dropped my weight to ~135, using a system that replaced many of my meals with meal shakes, but whenever I would add in more regular meals - and more carbs, incidently, the hunger would return and I would be tempted, and eventually have a binge...

So here I am, to try out low carbing...I hope I make it this time....permanent weight loss is the goal, in a healthy way that I can live with for this lifetime...

(BTW, I was 135 in those thin days and my doc yelled at me for being too thin... I was a size 7....)

<sigh>

Thanks for listening, I feel better now!

-Misty

motherjude
Sun, May-12-02, 09:49
Thanks for sharing your stories.. I guess I was being human. Like you I also learned my lesson the hard way. I bragged so much about how I had made a life-change and then I go and blow it. I am smart I guess in that I didn't wait until I gained all my weight back. Today is day 4 of induction for me and I am doing great, looks like I lost 2 lbs. already. I eat only when I am hungry and when I am not I don't. I seem to go the whole morning the 1st 2 days not hungry and had been eating a lunch/dinner combination around 3 p m and have a cup of coffee around 5 and snack on a few slices of hard salami around 8 if I am watching tv. I have always been a snacker and seems I still am but I don't go for the potato chips or doritos anymore, I'll snack on almonds or cheese sticks or salami.
I am glad we areall back on track and can work together in acheiving our goals. Good luck to us.

MistyBee
Sun, May-12-02, 10:44
I hear you, and I'm so glad you are there.... no one has judged me for taking so long to come around to this WOE either, you know... I think I had felt ashamed for a long time, and some of that guilt and shame fueled my eating every time I thought about dieting.

I have to get over myself, I know.... yeah OK I spent the last 11 or so years being fat and miserable when I could have been thin, but you know, I was sooo cocky when I was in OA in those days. And self righteous and a know it all... this past decade has been so humbling, I am actually so grateful for the life experience gained. Yeah maybe I could have done sooner and been smarter about it... but, I didn't, so there ! <g> I am here now, I am showing up today and sticking to the plan... and knowing I am human, and should I make a slip, that is just part of the path and I still need to keep going, not faltering.

I am still full of fear - day 5 of induction level for me, and so I don't know for sure that the weight is coming off yet - but you know, it has worked for lots of people, I have to trust that I am not that different that the thousands of people who have lost weight low carbing.... even if it doesn't come off as quicklly as I want it to (I needed to say that for me!)

:spin: And you know, I feel better than I have in a whilel, anyway, and my meals are so fun! Eggs and bacon beats out a bowl of oatmeal, any old day!

The hardest thing, I need to own this too... is not to immediately try and convert everyone around me to this WOE... I am trying to be more silent about it, but I love to talk and so its hard... someone is trying to convince me to go back on the shakes regimen and I am trying not to get into long discussions about it with her... also I have several friends who are diabetic and hypoglycemic who are very down on Atkins and right now I have to just keep my mouf shut! When I am down to 200 and they ASK me what I have been doing, THEN it will be the time to tell them....

-misty

motherjude
Sun, May-12-02, 12:34
Hi Misty Bee
I am the same as well. When I first low carbed well everyone noticed almost immediately cause I lost 20 lbs in 5 to 6 weeks. So I was raving to everyone and everyone asked but how can you not eat bread, pasta, sweets and I was oh no problem for me. Then I started eating the sweets and started to put it on little by little and bingo 15 lbs later. I gave the book to my friends who wanted to lose and my diabetic friends and no one who read it was interested in doing it with me. Even my husband went on it a did so well and then fell off the wagon. I am trying to get him to start itagin before we go on vacation in July, maybe he will...
Well I am on day 4 and so far so good. It'll be nice having company through this.

motherjude
Wed, May-15-02, 16:01
Just wanted to update here. Week 1 of induction is almost over and I have done great this week and expect to do the same next week as well. I had some temptations during the week which I was able to overcome so I was so happy about that. I am going to weigh and post my loss if any on my journal tomorrow. Well just wanted to thank those who posted to me for their welcome and support. Thank you.

mbschlgr
Thu, May-16-02, 06:15
I'm right up there with you!

I am back after a 4 month binge. Why do I call it a binge, because I ate every carb I could get my hands on. I have finally realized that it is an addiction with me.

I gained 10 lbs and it would it probably be more, but I would have a few days or so that I would "get back on the wagon" If I hadn't I can only imagine what would have happened. I had lost 40 lbs. and was only 10 lbs from my goal weight.

I have lost 4 of the 10 so far after getting myself together. Thinking of all the carbs right now makes me want to puke :Puke:

You will do it, and od it for you and how terrific you feel. If hubby doesn't join you, thats ok, mine doesn' need to lose weight but is very supportive of me, when we are out, he asks the waiter/waitress what is in certain things so I don't get something I shouldn't by mistake (especially sugar) he even helps me pick off the croutons if I forget to tell them to omit them!

:roll:

kimberlina
Thu, May-16-02, 06:22
Glad to see your post Jude. you are doing great ! reward yourself with a hot bubble bath or extra "puter" time!

mb- i am with you too. having gained 10 pounds while just being slack. i have taken off 5, but now its that TOM, and i will wait to weigh again till next week. someone else posted about drinking TONS more water during this week and the whoosh fairy came and took a couple extra "friends" ie, pounds away after it was over. sounds good to me!

have a great day!

mbschlgr
Thu, May-16-02, 08:30
I really do feel the best tip of all is Water! It helps so many things. I was never a water drinker and have to remind myself all the time to drink. Soneone told me once that when you start to hydrate your body like it needs, that your natural thirst will come back and you will be actually thirsty. I think that is what is happening to everyone when they talk about hoe thirsty they are, if you weren't a water drinker and then start to be, your natural instincts kick in asking for it.

All makes sense doesn't it. Water flushes your system of all toxins, burned fat, etc. It hydrates your joints and muscles. I even read somewhere that it helps oxygen flow within your blood, and your brain needs oxygen.

So I'm drinking, drinking, drinking... :daze:

motherjude
Thu, May-16-02, 15:28
I am so glad you both replied, we all have so much in common. Why do we ruin it for ourselves when we are so close to goal and then relax and gain weight? I swore I would never get into the 170's they took me forever to get out of and here I am back in the 170's but I better not be here long. Tested a stick and am in ketosis still. I have a workshop tonight and tomorrow from 7 to 9 pm so I won't be able to nibble which is good. My cravings have stopped and I am doing well just like the first time. Well better get ready for my workshop it is on differentiated instruction in the classroom. I teach 4th grade.
Hope to hear from you both again.
Jude

motherjude
Thu, May-23-02, 03:53
Hi everyone, Induction is done and I lost 5 lbs. I am happy that I have my determination back most of all. I plan to stay at this level until I lose another 5 and then I will add a few more. My clothes have started fitting me better and that is good also.
Just wanted to update you on my progress.

TeriDoodle
Thu, May-23-02, 04:35
Oh, that's great news!!! Thanks for the update! I'm sure you'll do fine now.... sounds like you've learned a few lessons on your path, eh? Those devilish sweets are just not worth it!! Those last few lbs may be slow in comiing off, but it's better than the alternative....and you probably feel worlds better, don't you?

When are you going to Las Vegas? My hubby and I went there for our honeymoon last year and had an absolute BALL! Where are you staying? There's so many wonderful hotels there and so much to do!!! Sounds like you've never been before.... Hold on to your hat!! You absolutely MUST get ttickets to see Mystere.... we saw a bunch of shows in our two visits and that one puts all others to shame.

Have a great day!! :sunny:

mbschlgr
Thu, May-23-02, 07:34
Hi Jude,

Congrats on your 5lb loss! You must be feeling wonderful. Keep up the good work and the great attitude.

Learning from experience is the best way to gain control! Keeping track of it with a journal really helps you to see what worked and what didn't. I also find it good mentally to when you can write things down. Not jus the food, cause that gets boring, but to be albe to have a place to say, hey I did good today, is certainly good for the soul.

Keep up the great work! Feel free to stop on over to my journal.

motherjude
Sat, May-25-02, 10:44
Hi all, I jsut wnated to update you all I lost 1 lb. this week for a total of 6 lbs.in 16 days. I lost 5 in the first 2weeks of induction and then just a lb. since then but that is ok. What is more important right now for me is that I am faithful and determined to succeed here. I am hoping by the end of June that at least 5 more is gone. I love updating my profile and seeing the % change that is so motivating.
Well hope everyone is doing well.