PDA

View Full Version : Tofu noodles

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

LorS
Thu, Apr-12-12, 20:45
Have any of you tried these? I bought two bags of these last week. They come in the refrigerated section in a liquid bag. They look like spagetti noodles. Cannot bring myself to break open the bag and cook them and even if I do, can't figure out what to cook them with. They are almost no carbs. Was hoping someone had experience and could give me some ideas since I'm so missing pasta right now.

robynsnest
Thu, Apr-12-12, 20:52
Hi there! Yes and they are great, they take on the taste of what you are cooking, VERY IMPORTANT TO RINCE WELL!!

Use them the same way you would use any other noodle, just rinse and then boil for a couple of minutes and then Dry well with towel, Enjoy, these have been a lifesaver for me...

Wutsupdoc
Thu, Apr-12-12, 21:39
I love them too!! Definitely rinse and dry well!!

Zookeeper2
Thu, Apr-12-12, 22:31
They do have to be rinsed well, and I have to say, I wasn't find of them as an Italian style pasta, but we made them with sesame oil, garlic, ginger and soy sauce, and they were a fabulous treat. I've ordered the miracle noodles, which are made of Konjac root instead of tofu. I can't wait to try them.

patriciakr
Thu, Apr-12-12, 23:54
I have used these, and prefer the Miracle Noodles as they have zero carbs. I drain, rinse super well, then heat in a bit of water and discard that water..then I will use them as noodles with a sauce atop (i.e. butter, lemon juice,capers on chicken atop the noodles). I've used them with shrimp cooked in lemon and butter, or a homemade flour free alfredo sauce..they work really well for me.

Ida1
Fri, Apr-13-12, 11:55
I use the Shirataki tofu noodles (thin angel hair type), too! I love them with spagetti sauce. My grandmother was off the boat from Italy, and she used to make homemade macaroni. And, these really remind me of them.

My daughter, Emily, loves them with the Kraft Macaroni and Cheese packet. She just substitutes the tofu noodles for the pasta in the box.

To use the tofu noodles, I dump out the bag into a strainer and rinse them well in the sink. Then, I microwave them for a minute, and then dry them with a paper towel.

The recipes from Zookeeper and Patricia sound delicious! I can't wait to try their ideas!

The biggest problem with the tofu noodles is that they keep selling out at the grocery store. The popularity of these noodles is growing, and I have heard that the factory is challenged keeping up with the increased demand.

I have just found kelp noodles. And, they are great and easy to use. They are slightly crunchy and I seem to drop a few pounds the weeks that I have eaten them.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the tofu noodles!

Ida (co-author of Thin and Thinner)

Zookeeper2
Fri, Apr-13-12, 12:18
I have used these, and prefer the Miracle Noodles as they have zero carbs. I drain, rinse super well, then heat in a bit of water and discard that water..then I will use them as noodles with a sauce atop (i.e. butter, lemon juice,capers on chicken atop the noodles). I've used them with shrimp cooked in lemon and butter, or a homemade flour free alfredo sauce..they work really well for me.
Shrimp... Butter... Noodles.... I think I've just reached Nirvana.

Amanda1978
Fri, Apr-13-12, 12:21
My daughter, Emily, loves them with the Kraft Macaroni and Cheese packet.

The biggest problem with the tofu noodles is that they keep selling out at the grocery store. The popularity of these noodles is growing, and I have heard that the factory is challenged keeping up with the increased demand.

I put the cheese powder in with cauliflower one time. It wasn't the same as Kraft Dinner but it sure did kill the craving. (Probably not the best way to kill the craving either but I didn't care at the time.)

I think I'll have to look for these noodles.

Kirsteen
Fri, Apr-13-12, 14:34
I have just found kelp noodles. And, they are great and easy to use. They are slightly crunchy and I seem to drop a few pounds the weeks that I have eaten them.

Wow! I have been wanting to increase my seaweed intake, because it's a fantastically healthy addition to the diet. I took a look and these kelp noodles are horribly expensive here in the UK, as they're imported from the USA. Let's hope they catch on.. Here in Scotland there are sources of really clean, pure seaweed and they sell it for animal feed and make fertilizer from it. I think they are missing out on a potential market. I hope they clock on soon.

Ida1
Mon, Apr-16-12, 17:54
Wow! I have been wanting to increase my seaweed intake, because it's a fantastically healthy addition to the diet. I took a look and these kelp noodles are horribly expensive here in the UK, as they're imported from the USA. Let's hope they catch on.. Here in Scotland there are sources of really clean, pure seaweed and they sell it for animal feed and make fertilizer from it. I think they are missing out on a potential market. I hope they clock on soon.

I, too, have been looking to get fresh or frozen seaweed at the grocery store in the U.S. But, so far, I haven't found any. But, I am glad about the Kelp noodles. I hope they come down in price in Scotland!

Ida1
Mon, Apr-16-12, 17:56
I put the cheese powder in with cauliflower one time. It wasn't the same as Kraft Dinner but it sure did kill the craving. (Probably not the best way to kill the craving either but I didn't care at the time.)

I found them in the refrigerator section of the health food department in the grocery store. If your local grocer doesn't carry them, you could put it in as a request. I have gotten our local grocers to carry a few items for me that way. Good luck!

robynsnest
Mon, Apr-16-12, 21:21

I just ordered a bunch from the LOW Carb Grocery online, they have everything you need to stay on course.

Amanda1978
Tue, Apr-17-12, 06:08
I just ordered a bunch from the LOW Carb Grocery online, they have everything you need to stay on course.

Thanks, I've ordered from there before when I can't find what I'm looking for. I'm going to try the grocery stores and little stores around here. We live close to just about every store imagineable but it is so hard with my 3 kids and my 4 daycare kids to just get the time to browse. :( It's almost impossible to pick stuff up and read lables with kids hanging off you. It took about 2 years for me to realize that one of the grocery stores that is only a 5 minute walk (or 5 minutes by car with red lights) had a huge selection of sugar free stuff - it was just hiding in the huge kosher food section where I never had a chance to browse.

Merpig
Tue, Apr-17-12, 11:57
I use the Shirataki tofu noodles (thin angel hair type), too! I love them with spagetti sauce. My grandmother was off the boat from Italy, and she used to make homemade macaroni. And, these really remind me of them. I love the regular shirataki noodles, since I will *not* eat soy - so tofu is totally out. The regular ones are awesome. The only thing that bugs me is that they seem to be harder and harder to find, with all the stores only seeming to stock the tofu version. Grrrrrr.

Zookeeper2
Tue, Apr-17-12, 13:09
I love the regular shirataki noodles, since I will *not* eat soy - so tofu is totally out. The regular ones are awesome. The only thing that bugs me is that they seem to be harder and harder to find, with all the stores only seeming to stock the tofu version. Grrrrrr.
I order the tofu free Shirataki noodles from Miracle Noodle. They're not half bad, but my husband was disappointed. I suspect he didn't like the texture. I'm fine with it, and my make some garlic shrimp tonite or for lunch.

Buttoni
Tue, Apr-17-12, 14:06
I just ordered a case of the shirataki noodles from Asian Food Grocer on-line. I got them in about 7 days. At $1.58 a bag and flat rate shipping, they're a lot cheaper than the Miracle Noodles site I ordered from last year. I can't find them anywhere locally.

robynsnest
Tue, Apr-17-12, 14:10
DH didn't like the rubberyness of the shirataki, so tonight we're trying the tofu ones, will post again with the verdict...

Zookeeper2
Wed, Apr-18-12, 19:13
So I tried the Miracle Noodles yesterday with shrimp, garlic and butter (lots of butter), and I have to admit to being disappointed. The noodles don't hold the sauce very well, so I didnt get the flavor I was hoping for.

I'm going to try it again with the tofu noodles and see if that works out better.

LorS
Thu, Apr-19-12, 19:42
I finally cooked these tonight. They definitely have this weird texture thing going on. And why do they smell like fish? After you rinse them, they don't but I was trying to figure out where a fish smell came from and questioned if they were ok to eat. I put them with a chicken/ginger/orange zest dish. They were good and my husband loved them. Me? I think I'll have regular pasta (rarely) during those times when I want an alfredo dish. I would have rather put that chicken into my salad.

Ida1
Fri, Apr-20-12, 18:51
I was going to try to find the miracle noodles, but after hearing the reaction of LorS, Zookeeper, and DH, I am thinking I should just stick to my Shirataki tofu noodles and Kelp noodles. Any opinions out there of whether or not I should experiment with them?

robynsnest
Fri, Apr-20-12, 19:02
I was going to try to find the miracle noodles, but after hearing the reaction of LorS, Zookeeper, and DH, I am thinking I should just stick to my Shirataki tofu noodles and Kelp noodles. Any opinions out there of whether or not I should experiment with them?

I would try them, 0 cal, 0carbs, you can't go wrong, I really like this recipe http://youtu.be/79u2NA8xx8o
you won't know until you try right and I personally didn't find a huge difference in texture between the tofu and the plain...

Zookeeper2
Fri, Apr-20-12, 22:21

Ida, if you can get just a few packages, it's worth a shot. It's really more of a textural thing, or mouth feel. I ended up with a bunch of noodles that I'm not sure what to do with, so it was kind of a waste.

Ida1
Sat, Apr-21-12, 07:49
I would try them, 0 cal, 0carbs, you can't go wrong, I really like this recipe http://youtu.be/79u2NA8xx8o
you won't know until you try right and I personally didn't find a huge difference in texture between the tofu and the plain...

Thanks, Robyn, for the link to the recipe/video! I went to it, and it looks delicious. I will have fun exploring the who site!

Ida1
Sat, Apr-21-12, 07:52
Ida, if you can get just a few packages, it's worth a shot. It's really more of a textural thing, or mouth feel. I ended up with a bunch of noodles that I'm not sure what to do with, so it was kind of a waste.

Thank you for the feedback, Zookeeper. I am going to see if I could get a package, locally, and try it. This week is crazy busy, but I will let you know when I try them. Have a great day!

Ida

Robin120
Sat, Apr-21-12, 11:48
every once in a blue moon i get the tofu noodles- i try to eat less processed foods for the most part, but they are a nice treat. I have had them many, many ways, but my favorites:

1. hands down the best is with peanut sauce! like the chinese appetizer sesame noodles!

2. cheese sauce- like mac 'n cheese

3. as a pasta salad

LorS
Sun, Apr-22-12, 00:29
Ida1, My husband really did like them. They are not bad and will absorb the flavor of whatever you cook them with. I have some angel hair pasta shirataki tofu noodles and am going to make spagetti. I'll let you know how that goes. Do try them.

mviesprite
Sun, Apr-22-12, 00:47
Thanks everybody for great ideas. I've heard both reviews of these- some say disgusting and others loved them. I am weird - I like plain tofu raw - so I'll probably like them. Can't wait to try them. And the kelp noodles - I will look for those also.
Kat

Ida1
Sun, Apr-22-12, 18:23
every once in a blue moon i get the tofu noodles- i try to eat less processed foods for the most part, but they are a nice treat. I have had them many, many ways, but my favorites:

1. hands down the best is with peanut sauce! like the chinese appetizer sesame noodles!

2. cheese sauce- like mac 'n cheese

3. as a pasta salad

Pasta salad sounds like a great idea! I didn't even think of that. Thanks, Robin 120!

Ida

Ida1
Sun, Apr-22-12, 18:24
Ida1, My husband really did like them. They are not bad and will absorb the flavor of whatever you cook them with. I have some angel hair pasta shirataki tofu noodles and am going to make spagetti. I'll let you know how that goes. Do try them.

Thanks, LorS!

Zookeeper2
Sun, Apr-22-12, 20:43
Thank you for the feedback, Zookeeper. I am going to see if I could get a package, locally, and try it. This week is crazy busy, but I will let you know when I try them. Have a great day!

Ida
If you lived in the Bay Area, you could come over and get some from me :lol:

Ida1
Mon, Apr-23-12, 14:20
If you lived in the Bay Area, you could come over and get some from me :lol:

I think I am about 4,000 miles from there! But, thanks for the offer! :wave:

fontrella
Wed, May-09-12, 15:40
They do have to be rinsed well, and I have to say, I wasn't find of them as an Italian style pasta, but we made them with sesame oil, garlic, ginger and soy sauce, and they were a fabulous treat. I've ordered the miracle noodles, which are made of Konjac root instead of tofu. I can't wait to try them.

How do you like the miacle noodles? Wich is better to you or are they the same?

Nancy LC
Wed, May-09-12, 15:49
Kelp noodles are awesome. I like them better than shiritaki/glucomannan noodles. They're easier on my digestion.

I've been using them in stir fries. I've also made LC pad thai with them.