PDA

View Full Version : Best way to get rid of bloat

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

wheeler
Sun, Apr-08-12, 20:40
I had a big day of eating on Friday, consuming about twice my normal fiber in the form of almonds and chocolate. Not one of my better moments. Anyway, I'm still bloated and looking for the best way to push everything on through. I'm probably sure the answer involves drinking more water, but I don't want to over do it.

SlimJen
Mon, Apr-09-12, 00:22
Yep.
Water, water, water.
I totally overate this weekend and felt horrible last night.
Today I've had lots of water and didn't snack.
I feel alot more incontrol today =)

Kirsteen
Mon, Apr-09-12, 02:54
The bloat is caused by excess water in the cells, sent there with all the sugar you ate. That sugar turns to fat if it's not used within a couple of days, so it's better to deal with it a bit sooner if it happens again. You can't push it through with water.

I'd go close to zero carb with no dairy apart from eggs, and add to that mixed organic greens. Lettuce only has 1g carb per cup, so you can add several cups of it, and I have found it's good for getting shot of excess fluids. So meat (fresh meat, not bacon or other salted meats), fish, eggs, cups of greens with some home-made salad dressing (I love garlic mayonnaise with my greens). Don't have anything sweet, or fake sweeteners. Stick to natural foods. That will quickly use up the excess glycogen and expel the excess water. You have to act more quickly though if you do that again, because the glycogen is turned to fat if it's not used up within a couple of days. If I go a bit over what I should on a meal, I just white-knuckle the cravings for a couple of hours, and go close to zero carb for the rest of the day. That works for me.

I am trying to get 3 large cups of greens in every day, and it's made a difference to me.

To recap: fresh meat, fish, eggs, cups of greens, home-made salad dressing for a day or two.

Kirsteen
Mon, Apr-09-12, 03:22
I totally overate this weekend and felt horrible last night.
Today I've had lots of water and didn't snack.

Just drink normal amounts of water. Cutting out the worst carbs will do the trick.

I can't wait to wear a bikini, all I know is, I WILL achieve my goal.

You are already so light. You must be really slim. When I was young and very slim - even underweight - I thought I was fat. Your mind can play tricks on you. I let my mind stop me from doing a lot of things when I was young. While all my friends were water-skiing and running about in their bikinis and trunks, and frequently coming over to try to persuade me to join in, I sat on the beach alone, watching them and refusing to take my clothes off because I thought I was fat. I'd have all sorts of excuses like I had forgotten my swimwear or had my period, etc. I was underweight and had a lovely well-proportioned figure and I'd have loved to learn to waterski.. I didn't have the confidence to do it till I was 2 stone heavier ("normal" weight for my height) and 15 years older. I wasn't anorexic when I was young - just naturally slim - but I lacked a lot of confidence in myself. Don't you do what I did. Learn to accept yourself, love yourself, not to be so critical of yourself and live your life to the full. Force yourself to get into that bikini now and gradually you will feel less uncomfortable with yourself. Louise Hay wrote a number of self-help books aimed at building self-acceptance and self-love. Check them out in the library. You might find them useful.

cnmLisa
Mon, Apr-09-12, 08:41
I guess before I answer the question can you define "bloat" in this case...
are you talking water retention or are you talking constipation?

Jonahsafta
Mon, Apr-09-12, 08:47
I guess before I answer the question can you define "bloat" in this case...
are you talking water retention or are you talking constipation?

Im smiling over here...I was trying to figure out how to ask that very question....I thought I was just dense...LOL thank you Lisa for asking :thup:

Nancy LC
Mon, Apr-09-12, 09:05
I had a big day of eating on Friday, consuming about twice my normal fiber in the form of almonds and chocolate. Not one of my better moments. Anyway, I'm still bloated and looking for the best way to push everything on through. I'm probably sure the answer involves drinking more water, but I don't want to over do it.
The passage of time will fix this. It has to work it's way out of your system.

wheeler
Mon, Apr-09-12, 10:37
Thanks everyone. I should add that the chocolate was my own coconut bark with just a smidge of honey, so I didn't have much sugar. Today is better, I've gone to the bathroom several times. TMI? It's been a good lesson for me, one day of overeating definitely not worth it. Back on the horse.

rosejamm
Tue, Apr-10-12, 05:53
I'm glad you're feeling better, you just needed to give it some time. I know water helps with these things, but I also kinda dislike having to drink water all the time. I spice it up with a bit lemon and mint, but still, sometimes I go without drinking it for 6 hours or more.

SlimJen
Thu, Apr-12-12, 00:33
Thanks Kirsteen, I will have to check them out. =)
I have previously had anorexia so my mind is a bit morpthed with my own body image… I am however 4 years recovered, and although my goal weight is low, that is what suits me body and the size I feel happy at.
I take this diet veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery slowly, I have hypothyroidism so I gain pretty easily and its a lot harder to 'relax' sometimes.
I've come really far though, I used to be zero carb and miserable not being able to eat anything my friends were and I could NEVER wear anything but jumpers and sweatpants, now I wear cute tops and eat starchy vegetables (LOTS I LOVE SQUASH), whole grain bread and fruits.
I do worry about the scale and I count calories religiously and they are kind oof low but I'm short and I think that keeps me sane.

Kirsteen
Thu, Apr-12-12, 01:06
Thanks Kirsteen, I will have to check them out. =)
I have previously had anorexia so my mind is a bit morpthed with my own body image… I am however 4 years recovered, and although my goal weight is low, that is what suits me body and the size I feel happy at.
I take this diet veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery slowly, I have hypothyroidism so I gain pretty easily and its a lot harder to 'relax' sometimes.
I've come really far though, I used to be zero carb and miserable not being able to eat anything my friends were and I could NEVER wear anything but jumpers and sweatpants, now I wear cute tops and eat starchy vegetables (LOTS I LOVE SQUASH), whole grain bread and fruits.
I do worry about the scale and I count calories religiously and they are kind oof low but I'm short and I think that keeps me sane.

I'm so sorry to hear that you've had such a hard time of it, but it is good to hear that you are making a good recovery. I hope it continues. Having the goal of getting into the bikini is so smart, and I wish you the very best with your progress.

I myself am planning to get a handbook by Louise Hays called "Love yourself, heal your life".

http://www.amazon.com/Love-Yourself-Workbook-Insight-Guide/dp/0937611697

I got it out of the library once, and I liked the format.. I am not an introspective person, so sitting with the book, going through the questions and thinking about the issues was quite useful for me. I want my own copy, as it's the sort of book you're more likely to take longer over, and dip into from time to time, rather than working through over the library loan period. I don't agree with her overall belief system, but that doesn't really change the value of her advice and techniques.

All the very best for the future and the achievement of your goals.

Kirsteen
Thu, Apr-12-12, 01:16
Thanks everyone. I should add that the chocolate was my own coconut bark with just a smidge of honey, so I didn't have much sugar. Today is better, I've gone to the bathroom several times. TMI? It's been a good lesson for me, one day of overeating definitely not worth it. Back on the horse.

I'm glad you're back on track. It's sometimes hard to know what the culprit is.. Almonds are not that carby unless you eat a load of them. Honey of course is pure sugar, but if you only used a small amount, then it couldn't have been that. I have found that I cannot go near caffeine in any form. So many people don't have a problem with it, but it really goes for my blood sugar. When I started the diet, I actually collapsed after eating a dessert type thing I made myself with no sugar or sweetener, but only cocoa powder. My blood sugar balance became a lot more stable after low-carbing for a while.. but I have had to accept that coffee, cocoa and chocolate just cannot fit into my diet plan.