PDA

View Full Version : How do you deal with weight loss journey?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

LimeGirl
Thu, Mar-29-12, 14:18
I've just started my plan but I know that there has to be something in place to help deal with the entire weight loss journey. This is especially true when following a plan that may have slow results.

What do you tell yourself to keep going and not get discouraged during the journey? Mentally, I know that each day is one step closer to goal but won't there be days when goal seems like an eternity away? When I think about the 50 lbs I need to lose, I imagine that it will take forever. I can't even remember what I looked and felt like 50 lbs ago.

joylorene
Thu, Mar-29-12, 14:37
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=439470

I re-read this thread - as I have wondered the same

I also found a easy to read book - Suddenly Skinny A weight loss survival guide - it's funny and really makes sense!!

I also decided to take it in 10lb chunks - that's my goal every 10lbs

Pheelyx
Thu, Mar-29-12, 14:43
It does seem like it will take forever to lose all the weight. I felt like that almost 5 months ago when I started. I am now down over 75 pounds. Time really does fly and before you know it you will be at your goal. I was having all kinds of serious health problems and was at risk for so much more. I tell myself everyday that my health is worth whatever I have to go through to stick with this eating plan. I work with people who constantly stuff there face with junk all day. I do miss all the things they are enjoying. But I know it will be awesome when I'm skinnier that all of them. That's kinda of my motivation too. Horrible, I know. :devil:

Whofan
Thu, Mar-29-12, 14:44
Okay, jumping in here because our beginning and goal stats are very similar. I went into this not knowing how well it would work. After a life time of yo-yoing I couldn't get excited about losing weight because I KNEW it would be coming back eventually. After the first few days with no sugar or starch I completely lost my cravings - and that was the ah-ha! moment when I thought that possibly, just possibly, I could now lose weight and keep it off because I had some kind of control over my appetite - for the first time in my life. Eventually the very impressive weight loss of the first few weeks slowed down, then it slowed to a crawl, then it stopped for a while. During all that I never doubted for a minute that I would continue to lose weight as long as my body had extra weight to lose. Sure, maybe it would take a very long time, but it WOULD happen because with no food cravings I have a fighting chance to eat responsibly. It's been 10 months. It might be another year or even two. But I'm still sure that as long as I eat this way I cannot help but lose all the weight my body needs to lose. And, by the way, my goal is an arbitrary number because I weighed that for a day or two when I was 20, duh. The fact that I've come this far is actually 'almost' good enough for me and every additional ounce is a bonus.
There are so many success stories on this forum. Yours will be among them, just hang in.

WereBear
Thu, Mar-29-12, 16:05
This is the beauty of using low carb as a Way of Eating (WOE) compared to a "diet" which you can't wait to see end.

Just eat right.

I always tried to eat right; except I kept being told the wrong things. I could always lose weight; except it kept coming back, with friends. I would eat that famous "sensible dinner" except I kept getting hungry again.

Do yourself a favor: don't see this as a journey with a destination. Getting to goal is great; but then another journey begins, which is learning to eat in a way that lets you keep it off.

When you decide this is for life; it's so much easier.

dmoffett
Thu, Mar-29-12, 19:28
I was contacted by a radio show for an interview. That prompted me to put something down in writing. I started a blog. My journey from a 340 pound fat sick man to a healthier 185 pounds.
My journey continues and so does my blog.
I recommend starting a blog. Read the blogs of others, and continue to read this very helpful lowcarb forum.
One of the biggest helps on your journey will be the folks who post on this forum.

JLx
Fri, Mar-30-12, 06:57
I know it's a cliche, but "one day at a time". Just do the one day that's before you and eventually the days will add up to significant weight loss.

The trouble with goals is that they keep us future oriented, instead of in the present. Werebear is right, it's a journey not a destination.

LimeGirl
Fri, Mar-30-12, 09:35
Thanks everyone! I learned a little something from each post. I am thinker so I'll be pondering your advice over the weekend.

cnmLisa
Fri, Mar-30-12, 09:48
Take a look at what's under my username.

Whether you're in weight loss mode or maintenance.
Whether you're just starting out or you've been at this for a bit.
The reality of it is that no matter how many bad days or good days you have chalked up under your belt, it all starts all over again when the sun rises.
Don't ask or second guess yourself "what-if", "what happens when", " messed up", "I'm doing well"....day 10 or day 10, 000....it's all about what happens and the choices you make TODAY.

What many fail to realize it that there is NO end to this journey. There is no going back to old eating habits and behaviors. There is no going back to "portion size" and "moderation", there is no just a taste or come on treat yourself. This is for life if you plan on any measure of success over the long haul.

Quit worrying about the mule going blind and just load the wagon;)

Progress not perfection.

Lisa

madeyna
Fri, Mar-30-12, 12:43
I break it up into mini goals and I count time passed not pounds. Each week will go by no matter what so each week I journal and stay focused on eating right I am one more week closer to goal. When using the scale I would get so upset if it didn,t say what I though it should say that I would binge . We all know how much that really helps:) I calculated how much I would need to lose to get to goal and how much I could reasonalby expect to lose each week then counted those weeks on the calender to see when my final goal whould be met. Then I numbered each week on the same calender and mark them off as I go. I am currently almost done with week twelve.

Goat Lady
Fri, Mar-30-12, 12:44
WOW! Well said Lisa!

mviesprite
Sat, Mar-31-12, 23:06
I am learning something from everyone as well. Great post, Lisa.
I got creative and am trying to make this fun. I love new recipes so looking forward to making them is fun and I now automatically try to start converting a regular recipe to a low carb one. I actually made myself a countdown calendar with magazine pix of ideal bodies, good looking food and for kicks fun makeup on, a success quote from my plans books and a recipe title from the same. I carry a plan book with me, and my daily page. I also now have two very inspirational letters from people who have had success that I carry and can read. And I am all over this site daily. I think it is the biggest help of all - the support of people who have done it.
Kat

leemack
Sun, Apr-01-12, 06:35
This is the beauty of using low carb as a Way of Eating (WOE) compared to a "diet" which you can't wait to see end.

Just eat right.

I always tried to eat right; except I kept being told the wrong things. I could always lose weight; except it kept coming back, with friends. I would eat that famous "sensible dinner" except I kept getting hungry again.

Do yourself a favor: don't see this as a journey with a destination. Getting to goal is great; but then another journey begins, which is learning to eat in a way that lets you keep it off.

When you decide this is for life; it's so much easier.

Definately this. I'm a very slow loser, and used to get frustrated and give in to cravings and go off plan. Now, I don't have scales at home, I only get weighed occasionally and I concentrate on the eating rather than the weight. You can't control what the scale says, but you can control your behaviour. Eat right, drink plenty of water, take any suplements you need and the weight will
work itself out.

Lee

3shewolf8
Sun, Apr-01-12, 07:35
Great Thread!! This is my "real" second time and absolutely my LAST time for this WOE. I say that because it is a life change and not a "diet". I am weighing in one time a week, with a 2-3 pound loss. You have to do this is small chunks. And CELEBRATE the loss no matter how long it takes. Make mini goals and reward yourself. I get my nails done, buy new earrings, and in 10 more lbs I am treating myself to a one hour massage. When you drop a size, which comes faster than you think it will, go to a second hand store and buy some new clothes, not too many though because you will be dropping again very soon! Then you take the "old" size to redonate and buy some more. More important, you will find you are able to do more things and fit in more places than you did before. Or you will see yourself in a random mirror (like walking through the store) and it will stop you in your tracks because you look so good!

Sue333
Sun, Apr-01-12, 08:13
I actually get real motivation from the bumper stickers I see of AA members! One says "Time takes Time." It DOES take time to see results! Another "Take it Easy." When those cravings hit, when we're tempted, just take it easy. Deep breath. Remind yourself why you're doing this, and if you have to, walk away.

I never related to anyone with an addiction problem before, until I confronted my own. Now I get it. To everyone struggling with addiction, whatever it might be, my thoughts and best wishes are with you. Take it Easy!

Brinethery
Sun, Apr-01-12, 09:28
Focus on getting balance in your life and taking care of yourself. Furthermore, make it a top priority to pay attention in those moments of sadness/frustration/anger at people/situations so that you can make the connection between food and emotions.

I'm not gonna lie, for me that's a work in progress and will probably be an ongoing lifetime practice. But I'm starting to realize that paying attention and making that connection is an essential tool for maintaining this lifestyle.

LimeGirl
Sun, Apr-01-12, 18:45
Your tips and advice have been so helpful!
I'm going to make sure I keep this thread on my subscription list so I can come back to it when I feel discouraged.