PDA

View Full Version : New to London

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Jaea
Thu, Mar-29-12, 07:29
Heya! :wave:

I'm a 25 year old Music and Media Management student from Finland and transported my existence to London in late Jan. I've been on a low carb diet since spring of 2009 and write to a Finnish forum as well.

I'm quite active and sporty (except when I'm sitting in this office for 8h/day) and relaxed about my diet. I try to eat fresh, unprocessed, nutritious low carb food but won't beat myself up about an occasional pub meal with friends.

The goal weight in my profile is just a guideline really. I don't currently have anywhere to weigh myself so I use a measuring tape instead, which I feel is a better indicator anyway. Since I work out quite a bit, I'm bound to gain muscle and measuring the inches around my waist and hips will track my process more accurately. My first goal, however, is to fit into my favorite pair of jeans again! They were just perfect in January but since then I've put on 4cm around my waist and 3cm on my hips.

I had a bit of a relapse when I moved; this country certainly doesn't stimulate healthy eating habits :lol: I've been so excited about fish&chips, all the amazing pastries and the pub culture and amazing cheap cider that it's been quite a struggle to get back on track. :yum:

Chris_D
Thu, Mar-29-12, 08:30
Welcome Aboard! :wave: Glad you found us! This forum is second to none with lots of wonderful and very helpful people!

Hopefully the 'culture shock' will wear off soon and you can get back on track! Onward and forward!

Best wishes on your journey!

becky7474
Thu, Mar-29-12, 09:06
Welcome!! :wave:

When we moved to Panama, we experienced culture shock as well. :agree:

RocketMan
Thu, Mar-29-12, 11:59
Welcom Jaea! Good luck with your goal. I want to fit into my kilt again, but I will have to lose many more pounds for that.

My mother is Finnish and my cousin in Finland runs a music group there called Jepokryddona. I am applying Sisu to my new diet.

Cheers

Jaea
Fri, Mar-30-12, 03:27
Sisu is a good thing to have! :D I'm lacking some, unfortunately. It got oct on the flight over but I'm working hard to find it again!

Kirsteen
Fri, Mar-30-12, 06:09
Hi there, I hope you enjoy your stay in the UK.. It's a wonderful place to explore, so make the most of your weekends to catch a train and go out and about to see some of the rest of the country.. There is a huge variety of landscape in the British Isles and just as much variety in the art/architecture and lifestyle. I'm in Edinburgh, Scotland, which is also a fantastic and beautiful city to live. Scotland has as much variety as England, and very different landscape, I think. However, there is so much to see in England alone, that you could spend all your weekends traveling around and never visiting the same place twice. One of my favourite places in England is York - it has Roman walls and sites, a fully excavated and restored Viking settlement, picturesque medieval streets with lovely cafes and bars, historic buildings, a beautiful river where you can hire boats, and loads of visitor centres and interesting museums - including one in a castle and a railway museum in a former steam locomotive depot. There's something for everyone, whatever their interests.

You need to stay off the alcohol. Lethal for your diet, and there is a culture of drinking in some cities which can be unhealthy, both physically and psychologically. Try to limit yourself to one or two 1/2 pints, then move onto the mineral water or a different alternative. You'll look a lot better and have more fun, with no fatigue the next day. Lecture over, lol. :D

P.S. There are fish and chips.. and there are fantastic fish and chips.. Here in Scotland, there are certain fish and chip shops/cafes which are renowned for their fish.. Absolutely melt in the mouth fish with light crispy beer batter. In Scotland they tend to have about eight serving staff and you still have to queue for up to 1/2 an hour. Ask around for the best places - usually near the coast for the freshest fish - and save your naughty days to sample the really good stuff.

Neanderpam
Fri, Mar-30-12, 07:14
Welcome lowcarber!

But..what's a 'sisu'? (sorry...never heard of it but interested in knowing what that is).

Um..hanging head...hubby just reading over my shoulder said 'Why is it that you insist on knowing what something is if it can be eaten?' LOL

Jaea
Sat, Mar-31-12, 03:00
Thanks Kirsteen! I haven't been traveling anywhere outside of London yet but we have Brighton trip coming up in May and I really want to visit Scotland and Ireland at some point. I'm still a student and living off of Finnish student grant and my savings so money is a tiny issue when it comes to weekend trips. But I'm definitely planning on staying in England even after my internship so there's time. Just yesterday I went for a little walk around my neighborhood since I haven't even done that properly yet and it was wonderful! To me it's really interesting how the scenery can change so quickly and how one neighborhood can have cute little houses and cherry trees and then right next to that there's these massive building blocks with no personality! It's almost like time travel :D

I don't drink much, just more often than in Finland. If I go to a pub to hang out for a bit with friends a few time a week, I'll have just 1-2 glasses of red wine or one pint of cider. This doesn't happen every week though

Sisu can be two different things:
1. Strength, persistence, never giving up (free dictionary translation: determination regardless of cost)
2. Salty licorice candy

Neanderpam
Sun, Apr-01-12, 06:00
Aha..thank you Jaea for the ref. Sisu. I think I have number one...lol and YOU do TOO!

As far as number two...hmm..no thanks...licorice interferes with my adrenals and thyroid.

Best of luck in your new 'home'.

mviesprite
Sun, Apr-01-12, 20:33
Welcome!
You've come to the right place for support and information, as you can see already! And hello to someone from my heritage as well - we can have a Finn convention, LOL. My great grandmother and grandfather came over from Finland - Ute Jarvi. I visited St Petersburg in 2010 and my next big trip will be back there and Finland.
Good luck to you.
Kat