PDA

View Full Version : Doctor wants me to get out of ketosis for upcoming surgery

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

RuthannP
Thu, Mar-29-12, 04:13
How is the best way to do this? I do not want to gain weight before or after surgery.

Most of the time my blood pressure is normal but it has been erratic four or five times since I began dieting.

I would love to ignore the surgeon's request for me to get out of ketosis a week prior to surgery but I know that dieting can -and does - drastically affect my blood pressure. I do not want to have a heart attack during surgery.

This will be minor plastic surgery so hopefully I can go right back on Atkins the next day.

Any advice how to do this?

Kirsteen
Thu, Mar-29-12, 05:18
I would ask if the procedure can be done with a local anesthetic, and also ask why he wants you out of ketosis. If he cannot present you with a proper reason, then you could refuse or consider booking with a different surgeon.

After all, they ask people to starve themselves before a general anesthetic, so I'd think most of the patients would be in fat-burning mode by the time of the operation.

Last time I was in hospital for tests, they said they normally do them with a general anesthetic, and I'd have to stay overnight, etc. I didn't want to stay and I didn't want a general anesthetic, so I asked if I could have them without the general anesthetic. They said that they couldn't give a local anesthetic for that procedure, so I said I'd have the tests without the anesthetic, and they agreed. It wasn't that bad, and I was amazed that they'd give an anesthetic for something so minor. It really amounted to a bit of mild discomfort, in my opinion. I'm not saying that yours should be without the anesthetic, but perhaps they would consider a local anesthetic instead?

If you do have to come out of ketosis, then just gradually raise your carbs so it takes you just over the limit and no more. You can be teetering on the edge.. then make the last meal slightly more carby.

RuthannP
Thu, Mar-29-12, 15:31
I hate pain. I'll just follow your advice about easing the carbs up and try to watch my weight very carefully. Thank you so much for the reply.

Kirsteen
Thu, Mar-29-12, 18:25
Good luck with the operation. I hope it all goes smoothly and that you are really happy with the results.

Dodger
Thu, Mar-29-12, 20:33
I've had two surgeries in the last 6 months. At no time was getting out of ketosis mentioned to me. I recovered quickly from both.

Liz53
Thu, Mar-29-12, 20:38
Are you saying that your blood pressure is LESS stable while you are in ketosis?

I had some minor surgery about 2 months into Atkins. I ate normally before-hand, had broth and Atkins shakes for a day or two, and then progressed to LC quiche I'd prepared beforehand. It worked like a charm.

PilotGal
Thu, Mar-29-12, 22:07
i was surprised to read this, as well...
i was in ketosis when i had minor surgery and the doctor thought it was pretty darn cool!
i was not asked to change my diet..
i find this very interesting...

RuthannP
Fri, Mar-30-12, 06:05
He didn't say WHY. My conclusion is that it's a blood pressure issue as it has fluctuated a few times since I began Atkins.