PDA

View Full Version : Hi from new member

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Lucy150
Thu, Mar-22-12, 16:43
:wave:

Hi everyone--I've been lurking for the last few weeks and thought it's finally time to join. Reading the forums (and the recipes forum!) has really helped me feel that this is a way of eating I can stick to. I've been eating low carb about 2 months and feel pretty good so far.I wonder if there's other members who have a similar experience and outlook as I do?

During my adult life I've gone up and down in size 10-16 range and am now at the high end again. I've never really dieted, but have had unstable eating and exercise habits, and more recently, the effects of the dozen or so psych meds I've tried out in the past 5 years have made my weight fluctuate a lot...seriously every 6 months or so I've had to buy a new pair of jeans to have one that fits. Recently I started taking Seroquel and it helps me a LOT but can also cause insulin resistance...wanting to stay on it is what brought me to the low carb diet.

Honestly I am reasonably attractive now and could look better and be healthier at the size I am now (I'm very pro size acceptance...somewhat more in theory than in practice!), although I have to admit that for vanity's sake I would prefer to be thinner. But basically my goal is to settle in and finally find a healthy way of eating that I can stick with, a level of activity I can stick with, and have my body find a size that it will stay at...maybe someday I can have a closet full of clothes that actually fit me! (I'm sure some people identify with that, right? :) )

--Lucy

becky7474
Thu, Mar-22-12, 17:24
Welcome! :wave:

Oh yeah, I can identify. ;)

robynsnest
Thu, Mar-22-12, 18:25
Hi Lucie, welcome aboard. I, like you was a lurker for a couple of weeks before joining and I have to say that this is helping me to keep motivated and focused.
I would suggest choosing a plan and being strict with yourself to sticking to it, the plans work, it's people who fail. I'm also on meds and the Doc said I would need to be on them for the rest of my life (I was shocked!!) unless I lost 100lbs and became a ballerina (he actually said that) so when I went back this week for a follow up I told him I was 8 lbs closer to becoming a ballerina...

pinkclouds
Thu, Mar-22-12, 19:03
I'm also on meds and the Doc said I would need to be on them for the rest of my life (I was shocked!!) unless I lost 100lbs and became a ballerina (he actually said that) so when I went back this week for a follow up I told him I was 8 lbs closer to becoming a ballerina...

Good for you Robyn! :thup:

And welcome to the board Lucy! :wave:

mviesprite
Fri, Mar-23-12, 21:53
Welcome Lucy!
Good advice: pick and plan and follow it. My lifestyle is hectic and erratic too - I've gone up and down the scale most of my life (mostly the hard way) and the low carb way to live has really helped me a lot. There are benefits besides weight loss.
Good luck!
Kat

Lucy150
Mon, Mar-26-12, 10:59
Thanks for the welcome guys! And congratulations on your success, Robyn.

The advice to pick a plan and follow it strictly is a good one, I may even take it at some point! I know, everyone thinks they're special, right? ;)

Basically, knowing myself, I think Atkins is a great plan but if I had started with induction, I never would have stuck with it. I didn't know what I would be cooking, wasn't used to planning many meals or grocery shopping. Thankfully I am mostly immune to the cravings monster (except cheese, which I don't eat anymore). I'm a creature of habit so I've been making significant changes one step at a time, and so far my weight keeps creeping down so it must be working.

Lucy150
Mon, Mar-26-12, 11:13
Also, did I mention that tracking my weight and seeing the progress % is awesome? Since I set my goal at where I was a couple years ago...27% progress sounds a lot better than 6 pounds of progress!

askwhy456
Mon, Mar-26-12, 12:48
Good luck and congrats on your success thus far!