PDA

View Full Version : New to the board....

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ajewett07
Wed, Mar-21-12, 14:50
I have been doing Atkins induction since february 8, 2012, so far I've lost 20 pounds. I started at 252 and now I'm at 232. My problem is, I've gone back and forth between the same 2 pounds (231-233) for 3 weeks. I use an elliptical for 30 minutes 3 times a week. Here's a typical menu: Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs with 1 ounce of cheddar cheese. Lunch: 1 cup of taco meat with 1 ounce of cheddar cheese or 3 grilled chicken breast pieces. Dinner: taco salad(no chips) or fish with a salad. I don't usually snack but if I do, I have a slim jim or a piece of cheddar cheese or a handful of porkrinds. I drink a minimum of 96 ounces of water a day. I am in deep ketosis but the weight has not changed in 3 weeks. HELP!!!

Chris_D
Wed, Mar-21-12, 18:53
Welcome!

Congratulations on your great success! :cheer:

Here's a few things to consider:
- Maybe its time to go to the next phase
- More fat, more fat, more fat
- Review your fat to protein to carb ratios
- Have you measured yourself?
- Be mindful of carb creep

Be patient; continue fighting the good fight and celebrate your successes no matter how or how small! You got this!!

colipdx
Wed, Mar-21-12, 19:36
Great success so far. Stalls happen unfortunately. I notice at previous setpoints your body can decide to sit there for AWHILE even when eating exactly as you are supposed to. I was at one such place for 3 months and decided it was time to lower my calories and that worked for me. Another approach is to do a refeed (google it if you are unfamiliar) then right back to low carb. That worked for me in other smaller stalls.

It is not a science so experiment. Just strengthen the LC habit and be ever mindful of the carb addiction that caused all this mess in the first place, lol.

Frugal Jen
Wed, Mar-21-12, 21:18
Welcome to the boards, and congrats on your losses so far!

Are you still losing inches? Muscle is denser than fat. So when fat converts to muscle, often the scales get stuck. But you'll still be losing the inches. And if that happens, it's not a stall.

ajewett07
Thu, Mar-22-12, 05:56
What is carb creep??? I will measure myself tonight to see if there's a change. And this might sound stupid, but how do I get more fat into my diet? I appreciate the responses!! It's so nice to know that you guys are out there!!

ajewett07
Thu, Mar-22-12, 06:59
I think I need to add more fat to my diet and more green, leafy veggies. I'm not great at tracking carb counts. I do write down everything I eat, just not the carb count. I guess I thought since I'm eating only the foods on the induction list, that I'm ok. I've only done my measurements twice...on March 1 and March 16...and I'd lost...just no weight change for 3 weeks...back and forth between the same stupid pounds!!! UUUGGGG!!!!!

becky7474
Thu, Mar-22-12, 07:37
Welcome!! :wave:

Chris_D
Thu, Mar-22-12, 09:24
Don't let the scale be your judge and jury! Remember a true stall is at least 4 weeks of no loss, scale or measurements.

Try and track your carbs to prevent "carb creep" (not realizing you have consumed more carbs than you anticipated due to not tracking or researching the carb counts).

Regarding adding fat, check out this link to a very informative thread.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=437526

Hang in there!!

MizKitty
Thu, Mar-22-12, 09:35
Your stall is right about on time where it typically occurs. You are normal. Your body just needs a chance to get caught up.

Here is a great article that explains our nemesis the scale, how weight loss occurs, and Why The Scales Can Lie:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost.php?p=8529486&postcount=18

I love Fitday.com for food tracking and logging. The reports you can generate are helpful and motivating.

Don't worry, stay the course, you're doing great! And Welcome!

ajewett07
Thu, Mar-22-12, 10:57
You guys are all so helpful...I love this place! Nice to know I'm "normal!" I will read the articles asap. I am staying on track and I will lose ALL this weight!!

Chris_D
Thu, Mar-22-12, 11:04
Here's another helpful tool, if I may suggest.......start a journal; its a great way to track your success, challenges & feelings, good, bad or indifferent and its a great way to stay accountable! Plus its an awesome way to meet people with similar interests to develop your support network.

Here's a link:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=172775

ajewett07
Thu, Mar-22-12, 16:48
Had pork chops for dinner...and I added a pat of butter to it and dipped it in sour cream....YUM!

robynsnest
Thu, Mar-22-12, 19:58
Welcome, one baby step at a time, slow but sure, we WILL succeed!!

mviesprite
Thu, Mar-22-12, 23:25
Hello and welcome! This is a great place, so many helpful people. The first thing I thought when I read your menu was you need some very low carb veggies. But - I don't know about Atkins, I am on a different program. There is so much support on this site - you will truly succeed here. And 20 lbs is nothing to sneeze at.
Kat

ajewett07
Fri, Mar-23-12, 05:12
I broke through! 4 pounds lighter this morning! After being at the same weight for 3 weeks, I finally broke through. Must have been that extra butter at dinner last night! ha! Happy Friday, everyone!!!

robynsnest
Fri, Mar-23-12, 08:26
Whoop, Whoop!! Happy dance, way to go, don't forget to update your status!!

ajewett07
Fri, Mar-23-12, 08:57
Thanks, Robyn...I'll do that!!

ajewett07
Fri, Mar-23-12, 18:09
I have a really stupid question...how do I make a new post? I did this yesterday and have no idea how I did it....

Frugal Jen
Fri, Mar-23-12, 19:28
You mean a new thread? Go out to the forum section you want to post in (you can't be reading a thread), and there'll be a button just above the directory on the left.

robynsnest
Fri, Mar-23-12, 19:51
Thanks, Robyn...I'll do that!!
Wow, 25% PROGRESS can't wait to get there...

ajewett07
Sat, Mar-24-12, 07:57
Thanks! I lost another pound today! I'm one pound away from losing 10% of my body weight, which really helps with all those pesky health issues, like blood sugar and cholesterol. Although since I started Atkins, I've had no issues with blood sugar.