PDA

View Full Version : Hi from the UK

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

JoyceGill
Wed, Mar-14-12, 10:12
Hi, I have been reading some of the threads on this forum - wow what a wealth of info.

I have only been on Low carb for 14 days but have managed to lose 13lb :agree: mind you I do have a lot to lose. I am following a book by Dr Charles Clark along with two 'back-up' books by the same author, I thought it was safer to stick to one, but it doesn't stop me looking elsewhere for advice and recipes and checking if they follow the same rules that I am using.

I do have a question that I need an easy to understand answer to and that is - what is the difference between carbs and net carbs. I am limited to 40 (60 absolute max) carbs a day, but some ingredient lists/recipes use carbs and others net carbs. I would be grateful if someone would be kind enough to explain it to me. Thanks in advance.

becky7474
Wed, Mar-14-12, 10:16
Welcome! :wave:

Net carbs are total carbs minus the fiber. For some us net carbs don't work, we have to go by total.

JoyceGill
Wed, Mar-14-12, 10:28
Thank you for the welcome.

Sorry, I know I sound thick (been found out so quick), but I still don't understand. If I have for eg. a bar of chocolate and it has '3 net carbs' but when I look on the listing it has 'total carb 29 g' which one do I count as 'carbs' on my daily count up?

minty
Wed, Mar-14-12, 12:22
hello - welcome from the UK.

Regarding your question about which to count I'd go for the higher one to start of with until you know how your body responds to the carbs. But to be honest (and I don't want to appear to be a killjoy) with the chocolate example I think it might be best to avoid chocolate because it might start cravings for other sweeter things. This way of eating is also about training yourself to make better choices - well that's what I think anyway.

Hope this helps.

Minty

JoyceGill
Thu, Mar-15-12, 04:04
Thanks, yes I think going for the higher one would be the better option.

I know you are not being a killjoy but the example I gave was actually on an Atkins Advantage bar (surprised me). I bought a couple of bars to carry around in case of emergency as I am diabetic.

mviesprite
Thu, Mar-15-12, 23:10
Welcome. I have no idea how to answer your question, but I do wish you good luck.
Kat