PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone, newbie here.

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

xdunlapx
Sat, Mar-10-12, 18:19
Hi guys. My name is Brittany and I am new to low carbing. I was diagnoised in 2009 with diabetes, type 2. I have a pizza addiction and hot wings addiction that I need to break. I weigh 377 pounds currently. I'm at the higher end of my "normal" weight which is usually around 373 pounds. My highest was 381.

I have very supportive parents and that is certainly needed with the bad genes I have. I have bipolar disorder, schizophrenia and generalized anxiety disorder. Sometimes I can get a little obsessive/compulsive so I don't doubt I have that to some degree as well. I am on medications for my mental illnesses and so far I'm doing quite well. I was diagnosed in early 2006.

My weight has been an issue ever since I began puberty. I have Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome which makes me insulin resistant and infertile. But since I have so many illnesses/diseases whatever I do not ever want to have children. I will not allow myself to become so selfish that I want a child to bear my illnesses as they are all likely to carry on onto a child. So I have decided that I will not marry nor have children. My medications make me lack a libido of any kind so I doubt I'll ever marry. It's not something that I am interested in. I do have to live with my parents (if I don't have a husband to take care of me).

I started gaining weight around the age of 9 or 10. As far back as I can remember I've always been carb-driven. Candy, cake, sugar, white flour stuff, anything and everything that was sugary or sweet I always craved. So I am TRYING to avoid carbs now. But I have to get back into the routine of cooking... And to do that I need real food in the house.. So it's a struggle sometimes. My mom doesn't often cook for us since she works for a living and is too tired after work to want to cook. Dad has no idea how to cook anything but macaroni and cheese from the box. So it's left up to me and since I didn't want to cook or didn't feel like it a lot lately, we've had pizza A LOT lately. Not good.

I was on metformin for my diabetes for a year and a half and it did absolutely nothing for me. My fasting bg's were the same as they were at diagnosis and my spikes were only a tad lower than they were when I wasn't on it. And I was on the max dose of Metformin ER per day. 2000mg. So I decided at the beginning of the year that I would go off of metformin and see how I did without it. I was doing great without it, one problem though - I caught a virus that was going around and now my bg's are bad again. So currently my fastings are around 117 and spikes upwards of 175 or higher. So I'm back to square one. Before the virus hit me my fastings (on the low carb diet with no pizza) were mid 80's. Spikes no more than 130.

SO long story short, I am redidicating myself to low carbing. I have got to do it for my health and well being. I'll need encouragement along the way though. Tonght I'm going to cook fish and some veggie. No carb unless my parents want peas or something starchy. But I won't be eating a starchy veggie or any bread. And that'll be perfectly fine with me.

cnmLisa
Sat, Mar-10-12, 19:01
Welcome Brittany:wave:

You've come to the right place for suport and helping hands.

Congratulations on taking the first steps to regain control of your health.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa

xdunlapx
Sat, Mar-10-12, 19:20
Oh I forgot to mention that I've had blood clots due to birth control use and my obesity so I am now on Coumadin (warfarin). I won't be able to go off of it for another few months...

Thanks for the warm welcome :) I am trying to figure out a way to get a food plan set up as I can't eat very much green veggies due to the vitamin K in them. But once I'm allowed to go off of the coumadin I'm going to start on the SBD again. I loved that diet but fell off the wagon because of the vitamin k issue. 2 cups of veggies is a lot of vitamin K per meal per day. So I'm trying to find a diet that I can do (real or imagined) that will still help me lose weight and go low carb.

Any ideas? I didn't much care for cooking with oil as I prefer the taste of butter over olive oil. Plus I caused a grease fire when I cooked with olive oil --plus the vitamin K in 2 tablespoons of oil is somewhere like 10% RDA for vit K... So I can't cook with olive oil just yet.

pinkclouds
Sat, Mar-10-12, 19:59
This site provides a list of veggies and vitamin k content and a cookbook for people taking the same medication you are. With some research and a lot of heart you can do this! Congrats for deciding to improve your health and take matters into your own hands. :)

http://www.drgourmet.com/warfarin/vegetables.shtml

xdunlapx
Sat, Mar-10-12, 20:01
OOH awesome! Thanks for the link! This is just what I needed. Whoo!

Now I can really start making a food plan for the week. I'm just starting to do that as I never have a plan and always end up wanting pizza or hot wings. So not healthy.. So yeah thanks!!

Elizellen
Sun, Mar-11-12, 04:42
Welcome to the board! :wave:

It is great that you are taking your health into your own hands and starting to cook lowcarb.

Pizza can be made lowcarb in many ways, so take a look in our recipes forums for some ideas.
The simplest way is to build your pizza on a large flat mushroom, or just lay the toppings (check any pizza sauces for added sugars or use pureed tomatoes and herbs) in a dish and pop under the grill then eat with a knife and fork.

Hot wings also can be lowcarb if you do not coat them with starches, there are several lowcarb alternatives using parmesan/pork rinds etc or leave the uncoated.

becky7474
Sun, Mar-11-12, 08:47
Welcome! :wave:

I love wings, just no sugar in the coating. So no BBQ, or honey, or anything like that.

xdunlapx
Sun, Mar-11-12, 10:44
I usually get hot wings. I prefer super hot wings lol But one day I ate 14 wings and my blood glucose shot up to 175 but it was probably caused by the breading on them, they were boneless wings which I prefer. So I have been avoiding hot wings...

Those wings only had 2g sugar so it has to be the breading on them that caused the high glucose.