PDA

View Full Version : Hi

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Solidadund
Sun, Feb-26-12, 11:06
Hi, I have been on Atkins for a while. On my birthday last year I decided I better lose weight before my next birthday and I suddenly find myself fat and fifty. (Yuck, don't want to go there)

I have lost in the past and maintained for years, but about two years ago, I had to fire some people, got depressed, and was having trouble in my marriage. Stupidly I self medicated with donuts and chocolate. Luckily, I came to my senses around my birthday. I’m not sure exactly when I buckled down, but that is when I started getting well.

I got antidepressants, got my husband to a counselor and got back onto Atkins. I also read "Why we get fat and what to do about it?" which gave me real insight into why stress causes such a downward spiral with cravings.
I am determined this will be the last ride on the weight yoyo for me. I feel that insight is empowering.

I am from northern CA, for the last 15 years I have lived in southern Alabama, talk about culture shock. Recently we built a house, underground and life is looking better. We are still working on the house but we will get it completely finished in the next few years. We have moved in, but have run out of building money. Since we don’t want a mortgage, we will just do a little at a time until it is the way we want it.

I have too many dogs, but when someone dumps a pup in front of my house, I just can’t watch him starve or get run over. I have 2 macaws, an African grey and 3.5 horses. (2 Arabs. 1 ½ Arab and a mini)

Nice to meet you all.

becky7474
Sun, Feb-26-12, 15:06
Welcome!! :wave:

There are no shelters here in Panama, so we foster dogs when we can. Right now we have 3 rescues that are ours and a poor little guy who just got over tick fever, had mange, and got hit by a car.

It is impossible to look at these poor starving babies and turn them away.

Wildeone
Sun, Feb-26-12, 15:18
Welcome :wave:

Solidadund
Mon, Feb-27-12, 05:43
Thank you for the welcome Wild one and Becky.

Becky, I can't imagine living somewhere with no shelters. It is hard enough in the states where at least they are taken fed and "humanely" killed.

I have 7 dogs now. It is a stretch affording all of their heartworm medications and flea control but I just couldn't send them to the shelter, a sick puppy that came up on my porch for help after getting through an electric fence and the big black dog, starving and waiting on the side of the road for his owner to come back.

Both would not have made it out of the shelter. I tried to find Chewy a new home, but when his HW infection showed up, no one wanted him.

I might still rehome him once he is well if a good home turns up, but people are funny about big black dogs, even if they are gentle and loyal.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome and understanding.