PDA

View Full Version : Article in today's Independent

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ezandreth
Wed, May-08-02, 14:57
in the review section, called "The myth of the low-fat diet", was a refreshing look at the effects of low fat diets over the last few decades, ie, increasing obesity and poor health. Unfortunately it's not on their website.
It makes an interesting point, that the mechanisms of weight gain and loss are far more complex than we realise - after all, there are billions to be made from a successful weight loss pill or method and the heavy hitters of the pharmaceutical industry can't crack it despite years and fortunes spent trying. Stacked up next to that, the idea that if you don't eat fat you won't get fat is childishly simplistic.
Zanny

LittleAnne
Thu, May-09-02, 02:02
Hi Zanny

Well spotted, who wrote the article? Pity its not on their website then we could copy it into the media section of this forum.

Oldsalty
Thu, May-09-02, 07:32
Here is the link to the article, it has been posted in media watch as well.
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/health/story.jsp?story=293029

ezandreth
Thu, May-09-02, 14:51
My husband said they sometimes didn't have articles in until the day after publication.

fcranmer
Fri, May-10-02, 03:31
There is quite a buzz going around about this article, and about time too! I found it to be well written and researched, more so than the original research that went into the low fat theory- the same theory that the world so embraced as the answer to our dietary ills.

Being a somewhat cynical person, I am worried that ultimately all it will mean is that some pharmaceutical company will now spend millions researching the phenomena only to come up with a 'wonder pill' that will somehow allow us to eat as much carbohydrate as we can whilst blocking the absorption!

I'm still a young convert to the low-carb WOE, but I know it to be the right way for me - It's good to hear the media finally stop knocking it as just another food fad and begin to investigate it objectively.

lossiebeth
Sat, May-11-02, 05:59
This is a REAL help! I haven't yet told my in-laws I am on Atkins, as they are low-fat fanatics. I went to this link (thanks OldSalty) and printed the article, which I plan to carry with me for when I am assaulted by the low-fat brigade.

I am not the crusading type (too lazy), so am not out to convert the masses, but would like to be left to do what suits ME best, and thus far, Atkins seems to.

My weight loss is pretty slow, but between the holiday to visit my family in America (during which I gained NO weight-what an achievement!), an M.S. relapse upon returning home, and possible Candida (which I have yet to start treating), I don't think I'm doing too badly!

Thanks again for sharing this.