PDA

View Full Version : Low Carb Success

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Pa-Leo
Fri, Feb-10-12, 21:23
Hello All, Ever heard of PALEO-LC read on...

I started a Beyond Paleo Lifestyle after reading the book written by Nora Gedgaudas, "Primal Body-Primal Mind". Her book drives home the message: limit insulin production by minimizing carbohydrate consumption, eat small amounts of protein, eat lots of green veggies each day, and make good fat your friend. You may live forever, or at least a lot longer than eating all the C-A-R-B-A-G-E that's included in the Standard American Diet--that's SAD. I had no idea that I knew so little about nutrition, digestion, and hormonal regulation before reading this book. After years of being in the dark, I do now and the light is ON.

In the first 3 months of eating PALEO "low carb" (LC), maximizing the good fats and proper oils with only moderate protein intake, and by eating two large satisfying meals each day with a few healthy FAT containing snacks, I lost over 30 pounds in 3 months by just being active. I did no heavy exercise or chronic cardio, just a few short walks every other day or so. It's been over 6 months since starting this new journey and my weight is stable and I can now eat just about as much as I want, but food becomes much less important when you're not hungry all the time. I know many Paleo types don't feel that carbohydrate restriction is normal, but it can be.

It can be way of achieving essentially flat blood sugar levels throughout the day. As a way of checking my own levels, I took blood sugar measurements with a glucometer. As an average over the last 14 day period I measured a value of 85 mg/dL based on random daytime readings--that's well in the ideal 12 hour fasting level range.

I even bought a body caliper to measure skin fold. My family doc said my BMI was 25% (overweight) based on height and weight, and I said WTH? My caliper measurements calculated out to 12% BF.

Yes, the benefits of PALEO-LC go far beyond weight loss. I do not nap in the afternoon anymore, I don't need to nap. I have great energy and no more flatulence, inflammation, or constipation. I feel GREAT as a result of ditching the sugar, wheat, corn, oats, legumes (especially soy), potatoes, rice, and sweet fruits. They all cause the body to produce insulin...this is what makes you FAT. As Nora explains, eating fat does not make you FAT; eating carbohydrates makes you FAT, even on a low FAT diet. It's that simple. She also explains that a minor amount of supplementation is critical for all eating styles, this one is no different. It's all spelled out A, B, C, D, E, through K and beyond. If you really want to permanently change your body shape and do it in a healthy way, this can be the guiding light to proper nutrition for those who chose to follow it. OH BTW...recent blood work in November by my family Doc and I'm good to go, BP, Lipids, blood sugar, etc. etc. all perfect -- no pills needed, not even a lttle blue one :) We are living the new Beyond Paleo life very nicely--Thank You.

Pa-Leo :cool:

Elizellen
Sat, Feb-11-12, 19:27
Preaching to the choir here, but welcome to the board anyway! :wave:

Congratulations on your progress! :cheer: