PDA

View Full Version : Ankle weights

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

GatorGal93
Wed, May-08-02, 08:13
Let me start by saying I do not work out. So, I guess consider me a newbie to the General Exercise forum. :eek:

I really like to walk with my ankle weights on. I am a very strong woman and I enjoy walking much more if I can 'feel' something while I am doing it. My weights are adjustable ankle/wrist weights and I place the weight on the back of my leg over the heel versus the front over my foot. I believe they are 2.5 pounds each (no more than 5 pounds each).

My question is this: is this not a good idea? My boss/friend says that ankle weights while walking is not good for the joints. She suggests that I use them while exercising (leg lifts, etc.) and not walking. I have already mentioned that I probably would not workout (with or without them).

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Julie

Steve A
Thu, May-09-02, 10:09
I have also heard, from a well known NFL trainer, that walking with ankle weights will damage your knees.

lcgal
Sat, May-11-02, 22:06
I've heard the same thing, bad for the joints.

i've heard that wearing a weighted belt, like say a SCUBA diver wears is better because then it is around your waist, center balanced. I've also hear of a weighted back pack... but for me, that would just kill my back, so i'd never do it.

GatorGal93
Thu, May-16-02, 09:38
Thank you for the answers.

Is there any benefit to putting the ankle/wrist weights around my wrists if I am only walking?

I know these questions may be ridiculous, but I have no experience with exercise except aerobics.

Thank you for your patience,
Julie

AngelaR
Sat, May-18-02, 09:08
There are numerous websites that deal with tips on walking. Seems that many of them have copied the same passage out of some sort of manual, because the wording is exactly the same.

thewalkingsite.com (http://www.thewalkingsite.com/power.html) gives tips for walking. They say not to use ankle or hand weights, but unfortunately they don't say why. Several other sites out there say the same thing, but they also don't say why.